TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR: Six Flags over Georgia!

Sorry, guys, but this isn't really a TRUE photo trip report. It's more of a text-only trip report with two pictures at the end.

But if you'd still like to read through the boringness of (mostly) photo-less text, I'm not stopping you; in fact, I'd appreciate it!

Well, I went with the University of Georgia to Six Flags over Georgia this past evening, and actually got back about half an hour ago. All in all, the park is still great, and some really cool things happened while we were there, including a really good look at the completed track of Dare Devil Dive!!! Unfortunately, I left my camera back home, so this isn't really a photo trip report like I had originally planned. Also, my friend (who got some good shots of DDD) has his camera with him, so those pictures will have to wait, but I do have those two pictures from my cell phone that I would like to share with you guys... after talking aimlessly about the rides.

We got to the park at around 7pm, with five hours to mill about and ride whatever we pleased. So, naturally, my group started our evening with a ride on the Georgia Scorcher. For some reason, it ran especially well this evening, which is strange considering I had always remembered it being a little more on the rougher side. Smooth as a baby's bottom, and the first loop and final turn were really intense, in a good way. A nice way to start off the evening.

Next, we took a ride on Goliath, for which we waited about 30 minutes. Not bad, considering there were thousands of students and alumni there. Just as good as I remembered it - plenty of airtime, not the smoothest but most certainly not rough, and a fantastic turnaround! Still feels brand new, even though today was its 4th birthday.

Following Goliath, we went to Gotham City to find out that Mind Bender was testing, so we decided to go on Batman instead. Good and forceful, but still just a Batman clone and not particularly worth the 40 minutes we waited for it. But it's whatever, there were some pleasant surprises in store for us later in the evening.

We left Gotham after learning that Mind Bender had a 90-minute queue (which ended up being about 30 minutes, but we still didn't ride), heading over to Superman Ultimate Flight. It also had nearly a 90 minute wait, so we left with slight frustration. Even with only UGA students there, the wait times for Mind Bender, Superman and Goliath were pretty significant all night. But that was okay, because we then experienced pleasant surprise #1: Scream Machine. After remembering how horrible the ride was last season (which I'm assuming was due primarily to the flooding that took place early last year or the year before), I was very hesitant to get on, but we ended up in the middle row of the front car and I braced myself for impact. To my surprise, they had fixed up all of the drops, so they were much MUCH smoother than last season, the season before, or any time I can really remember. It was quite the relief to come off of GASM without a headache or a ruptured spleen.

Speaking of GASM, I was not even expecting pleasant surprise of the night #2: Ninja! Sure, this ride is notorious for its roughness, but since discovering the "magic seat," the front row in the back car, all of my rides on Ninja have been nothing less than enjoyable. The reason I mentioned Ninja with such great detail is that, upon arriving to the ride, I noticed a blue train on the track. It didn't look like a wrap, because there weren't any logos on it. As it turns out, it wasn't a wrap at all; it was something much more unexpected, and honestly, I had a little geek-out moment. See the pictures below to figure out why.

Anyways, after Ninja, we went back around to the front and got our ride on the Georgia Cyclone (which was the worst ride of the evening, for sure). Rough as I remember, quite possibly rougher, but it was still kind of fun. Just don't ride it more than once, or your head will be screaming curse words at you for the remainder of your day. Following that horrible experience, one last ride on Scorcher and Goliath ended our evening. I will say that I'm really liking what I saw as far as changes for 2011 go. I have very high expectations for Dare Devil Dive, and I will most definitely be returning to the park later in the season, once DDD is up and running.

Oh yeah, about the pictures... So, I was talking to the guy operating Ninja and he said that they just put this new train on the track today (well, yesterday). And yes, he confirmed our suspicions that the train had been imported from another Six Flags park. We were some of the first people to ride Ninja on the new train, and needless to say, I flipped out.

Hope you enjoyed my half-@$$ed trip report, if you read it all the way through!

Adam "Pretty Trains" H.

536103867_NINGASM1.jpg.d46aab2fbf2a2771491db97c82a29aba.jpg

Oh hey. You're not from around here, are you? :]

1863853488_NINGASM2.jpg.041bacbb48c4b9e20140dbfd60877e67.jpg

A little more up close and personal!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the report! I'm going in a few weeks, and great news about the Scream Machine. It was my first wooden coaster and I'm glad to hear it got some TLC.

One note - SHAME ON YOU for missing out on Mindbender rides !!

David

^ GASM at SFoG is an old PTC woodie that sits on the lake. It is still living, unlike it's namesake in New Jersey.

I think he was refering to GASM at SFGAdv living on at SFOG (the train on Ninja).

^ GASM at SFoG is an old PTC woodie that sits on the lake. It is still living, unlike it's namesake in New Jersey.

I think he was refering to GASM at SFGAdv living on at SFOG (the train on Ninja).

Oops - I misunderstood. Apologies.

Could someone please tell me what the magic seat is? I rode New Jersey's GASM 2 years ago and was obviously not in it.

There is no such thing. Magic does not exist. Although, the only verified exception was David Copperfield dating Claudia Schiffer.

Could someone please tell me what the magic seat is? I rode New Jersey's GASM 2 years ago and was obviously not in it.

First post of the thread:

Speaking of GASM, I was not even expecting pleasant surprise of the night #2: Ninja! Sure, this ride is notorious for its roughness, but since discovering the "magic seat," the front row in the back car, all of my rides on Ninja have been nothing less than enjoyable. The reason I mentioned Ninja with such great detail is that, upon arriving to the ride, I noticed a blue train on the track. It didn't look like a wrap, because there weren't any logos on it. As it turns out, it wasn't a wrap at all; it was something much more unexpected, and honestly, I had a little geek-out moment. See the pictures below to figure out why.

Legend has it...that the front row of the back car (see above) on a Vekoma looper will not make you want to die.

David

On Arrows and various other loopers, I often try for the first row of one of the back three cars. I don't think it has to be the back car as I've heard 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 all reported as "magic seats" on Viper at SFMM.

I consider "magic seat" choices on these rides a "can't hurt, might help" measure as I suspect the differences in experience are debatable and hard to prove. I believe I felt the difference on Viper, though!

^ headbanging aside, it is a pretty cool coaster. I always ride when I go (and usually one of the seats we are specifying.) To me, they are kind of like "non-wheel" seats on PTC's.

I do like the corkscrews over the water - just wish that my ears didn't bleed afterwards I'll be taking my annual spin on it on Easter