TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nerdy request for picture of box track

Hi! I know this might sound really nerdy, but the B&M box track has always intrigued me, and I'm trying to wrap my mind around how it's put together. I know it's probably a trade secret, but my hypothesis is that it's made partially like this:

bm_track_scheme.JPG.520d65d3c3cf1d8cd74fc06c8b929f98.JPG

And sorry for the MS Paint :-P

To further this hypothesis, I'd like to know if anybody can find pictures of the track showing that the diagonals on the corners run in opposite directions on opposite sides (for instance, the top of the track would have the diagonal running right to left and the bottom of the track would have the diagonal running left to right, in the forward direction). It's hard to find pictures that show both the top and the bottom at the same time (must be some funky inversion to capture that )

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^ Jeeze, that's why I love this website Anyways, I did find a picture that shows the diagonals do indeed work that way, but the bends happen on the diagonals and the welds happen along the edge (so it's more like 4 bent rectangles, but the rectangles are connected, so it's really 4 very long polygons bent multiple times welded together ) I'm almost tempted to test this by folding some paper and taping it together While listening to that song.

B&M's box track is made up of 8 right triangles, every 2 form one rectangle. The insides are hollow which creates the extremely loud "B&M Rumble", although in some cases (Like Kraken at SeaWorld), the track is filled with sand to decrease the rides roar.

The thing is, I saw pictures of the track while it was being welded, and the diagonals are not welded together in general. It's really that each long track segment is made of 4 long, folded polygons welded on their edges. Yet some pictures show that the more twisty segments have more welds.

I think its a clever deduction, and I think you're just as knowledgable as anyone here, ans we don't seem to have manufacturing insiders, so jokes are all we have to offer. So good job, I think thats likely the method.

OK: Digging into my dusty memory banks, moving the old files of lost items, and where my car keys went...

Back about four or five years ago, one of the Travel Channel/Discovery/etc. channel types did a program on coasters- and featured a segment on the B&M plant outside of Cincinatti, OH, and they showed the partial assembly of the box beam segments. As well, they showed the water cutting of the steel itself, and the assembly of the final 'product'- or as much as they could without giving away trade secrets.

Remember this: Occum's Razor: The most logical answer is normally the most correct. In this case, you might want to dig through and find that program- I don't recall the title- sorry! But it would give you the best guess for the final product you're looking for.

(And we're not all about travel here. We're also about having fun- and admittedly, I'm not an engineer- I'm a manager.)

Hell I'm an engineer and the B&M track still intrigues me. Bending a box beam into complex 3D shapes is no easy task.

I'm assuming they've come up with some kind of computer program to generate where the bending and welding lines need to be for each track section and then, as mentioned above, have a waterjet machine cut out each section. Then they probably use a press brake (depending on how automated this process is) to bend the sections and then weld it all together. Of course not every bend is welded, you can easily tell which sections are welded due to the raised seam.

So the most complex part about B&M track was probably creating the initial program that generates the track's bend/weld sections based on the spline of the course. Beyond that it's pretty simple manufacturing...

And FYI, a little digging came up with the company's name who makes B&M's track: http://www.clermontsteel.com/ (whose site shows some supports in their raw(er) state).

:( Look, I figured it out on my own, if you want to jump on the ridicule bandwagon, fine. I know now that TPR is a travel forum and it's not okay to look deeper than that.

Your question was just very specific and my simple mind was unable to follow the diagram! I honestly didn't mean any disrepect.. I just like the jokes!

Chris "seriously has no idea how magnets work" Con

OK: Digging into my dusty memory banks, moving the old files of lost items, and where my car keys went...

Back about four or five years ago, one of the Travel Channel/Discovery/etc. channel types did a program on coasters- and featured a segment on the B&M plant outside of Cincinatti, OH, and they showed the partial assembly of the box beam segments. As well, they showed the water cutting of the steel itself, and the assembly of the final 'product'- or as much as they could without giving away trade secrets.

Remember this: Occum's Razor: The most logical answer is normally the most correct. In this case, you might want to dig through and find that program- I don't recall the title- sorry! But it would give you the best guess for the final product you're looking for.

(And we're not all about travel here. We're also about having fun- and admittedly, I'm not an engineer- I'm a manager.)

I believe it was Natgeo channel's supercoasters program.