TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point Help

I have a few questions I hope someone will give me advice. We have platinum passes this year and we want to go to Cedar Point. I have only been one other time and it was years ago. My problem is the only time we can get 4 days off in row is the weekend of Memorial Day. My plans would be to hit Cedar Point Friday and Saturday then Kings island on Sunday. Am I crazy? Will it be worth the trip or not we have a 9 hour drive to get there.

Next question is I need advice on where to stay, we are not going to stay with Cedar point, those prices are crazy for that weekend. I want a nice hotel that is in a good part of town. The other thing is my 4 year old son is going so my mom is coming along to babystit, there will be times where I take them back to the hotel when they are tired so it needs to be close by.

How is the Great Wolf Lodge there, with military I can get the rooms there for around $160.00

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, can't say much for the area's lodging if you aren't wanting to stay on property. I can say though that with you going on Memorial Day weekend you will be facing some very bad crowds. If you only have 2 days to spend, I'd say to spend both of them at Cedar Point and forget about trying to spend a day at KI, especially if you are actually wanting to do everything in the park. I'd highly suggest you reconsider staying on property because the early admission in the mornings for the resort guests will give you an extra hour to help you manage your day and try to squeeze in a few more rides. Breakers Express shouldn't be too bad and is a short trip down the penninsula.

Two days at Cedar Point on Memorial Day weekend will be fine, crowds are nowhere near a Saturday in August/October, for instance. If you have the three days, I would definitely do two at Cedar Point and one at Kings Island, simply because Kings Island is a great park. Really, I would drive down there as soon as you're done on the second day at Cedar Point, as Kings Island is truly a park to experience at night, plus crowds die down near the end of the day there.

As far as hotels, here are two that I can suggest from personal experience:

The Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites is a nice hotel, not too far from the park, and has several restaurants, gas stations, malls and grocery stores on the way to/from the park if you need to pick something up. Never had a problem staying there, and it's about the best part of town you can be in (Sandusky itself isn't all that amazing).

We've always stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Middletown when we go to Kings Island. It's a couple exits north of the park, but it's in a nice area and isn't too expensive. Better than a lot of the places you'll find closer to the park.

Both of those hotels are within a 15 minutes drive of the parks. Again, anything you find closer to the parks won't be as nice or as cheap, especially on Memorial Day weekend.

My two cents.

-Jon

Even with passes I would stay at Breakers Express. The rooms are the best I have yet found in Sandusky that is not a resort, and are about the same as neighboring hotels at about $100 a night for memorial weekend.

Definitely do Kings Island. It is a great park for a 4 year old with outstanding childrens areas. I stayed at the comfort inn just outside of Kings Island last year. It's a good, reasonably priced hotel.

No, you are not crazy. I did that last year, but added on Holiday world, Indiana Beach, and great America. 5 parks in 6 back to back days. I was at Cedar on Memorial Day and the day after. I would say crowds were light-moderate. Maverick was the only thing over a 1/2 hour wait. I'll be there on Sun. and Mon. of that weekend this year.

We've stayed at the South Shore Inn which is a great bargain compared to staying at the Cedar Point resorts. It's right at the entrance to the causeway.

With a platinum pass you get early ride time plus free parking.

Jim

Cedar Point during memorial day weekend is great. Ive been in the past and the lines were shorter than average. It must be reverse psychology. As for a resort to stay at, breakers express is fairly inexpensive and you get multiple passes. It's nice arriving in sandusky around 4 or 5 pm and using the starlight passes to get a few rides in and then take advantage of the day passes the next day however that wont matter because you have season passes. Maybe try an indoor waterpark resort as you said. Kalahari, Great Wolf Lodge, Castaway Bay etc.

The hotel I always stay at is the Knights Inn it is by far the best value I have seen, it's real cheap and it's only 5 mins from the entrance. Plus if you turn left out of their parking lot you can use the old entrance which doesn't have as much traffic as the main.

Was planning on staying there for my trip there in mid-June. By the old entrance do you mean the Cedar Point Causeway (looking at Google maps)

I'd highly suggest you reconsider staying on property because the early admission in the mornings for the resort guests will give you an extra hour to help you manage your day and try to squeeze in a few more rides. Breakers Express shouldn't be too bad and is a short trip down the penninsula.

Platinum Passholders also get the ERT, so there's no point in staying on property, especially if the prices are crazy.

I've always stayed at the Econolodge across from the Thirsty Pony on the corner of Cleveland Road and Cedar Point Drive. Short drive from the park (10 min tops. Good if you are looking for something close), good rates, and clean.

As for spending a day at Kings Island: although it could be done, with the amount of driving you are talking about I would rather spend an extra day at Cedar Point and set aside another weekend to do Kings Island. Don't rush your visit to either park if you plan on doing either.

If you are wondering about any hidden places for food, there's a good Perch place called the New Sandusky Fish Company on Shoreline drive that we always make 2-3 visits to everytime we visit Cedar Point. Great stuff.

Thanks again for the info everyone, I have not booked a hotel yet still trying to decide. I might just go with Great Wolf Lodge so I can leave the little one with his granny at times and they still have something to do. Great Wolf gives military discounts so that help, cedar fair doesn't give any military discounts.

Thanks for the head's up, I think i'm going with the great wolf, it's close enough to the park to run back and forth plus the little one will have something to do incase of bad weather or if we leave them at the hotel. It's been hard trying to find a hotel I really want to stay at for this trip.

The onsite resorts are ok, but way overpriced.

We usually stay just outside the park for 1/3 the price. The hour early entry is the only "great" perk that staying onsite offers. You also have to remember that all platinum pass holders also get the early entry as well, so the morning ert lines can get just as long as the line will be durring the day.