TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Vancouver Playland is getting a new ride

http://www.pne.ca/playland/rides-games-food/new-ride.html

Introducing Playland's New Ride

The ride of the season? A thrill seeker's dream? The estranged older cousin of the Wave Swinger? Yes it's true, we've got a new ride, and we think you're gonna love it! That is of course if your preference is for rides that swing 360°, while going 70km/hr, at 218 feet high! Did we mention that it will be Playland's tallest ride offering unparalleled panoramic views of the entire city? (if you can keep your eyes open long enough to focus!)

This new ride will be FREE with admission!

The best way to master the new ride is through a Season PlayPass available online, or at select retailers. More Info

Experience Playland's New Ride. July 1, 2011.

Apparently another Star Flyer type ride is opening this year along with all those at Cedar Fair parks.

Edited by Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its about time they added something and good to hear they are not going to up charge like they have with the last two rides besides the westcoast wheel and its funny that playland seems to think a 2 million dollar ride is alot of money because it far from it they still need to add another 10 good rides to make this park worth a trip as the only ride before this worth going on was the coaster which is a 7/10 at best wooden coaster.....oh well atleast its a move in the right direction for now...but now just dont take another 6 years to spend 2 million dollars as like I said its not that much of an investment for a ride.(the most they have ever paid for a ride) as they have a history of buying used 2nd rate rides

like the metal coaster,the beach party to name a couple.

Well, I wasn't expecting something like this to be "the new attraction".

But - that's okay - have ridden the ones in Tivoli, Holiday Park, Hansa... they're fun.

And the view should be great.

This ride intrigues me a lot because Vancouver is a stunningly beautiful city, and the view should be amazing. Good for Playland, they definitely needed a new ride, and this should help bring more people to the park. Coaster is a woodie that I want to ride really badly.

I also noted from it's site, the thing isn't opening until...July 1st?

That's like, two months into their season pass period, when the park opens, April 30th?

They can't get it up and running by then?

Sometimes, this park is just.... well.... meh.

Only good thing for me is, it'll be finally open when I get back from my TPR Tour, lol.

I wonder if this is part of the whole 20% expansion plan that is to happen in the next several years to come.

of course ,but really the park is still kinda real lame and has alot of work to go before it becomes a half decent park and they should really be adding a hyper coaster and a view other giant rides as soon as possible .

^You wanna come up with 20 million dollars for a hyper coaster? I doubt they have that kind of money available for something that size. Not to mention finding the room in a small park to fit one in. Sounds like the park does need some love though. A Star Flyer is a good start.

The park needs a "park" setting

to make it feel like a real... Park.

Playland - needs - landscaping.

And no - more - asphalt.

This Star Flyer they're putting in will just help emphasize how parking-lot style

this entire "amusement centre" looks - if you happen to open your eyes

and look down. I see it every time I ride their ferris wheel, lol.

But then, there's that awesome view of (what we call) the North Shore,

and the mountains, and the inlet, and the Gulf Islands beyond the city.

I'll be sure to check this out if it's open when I go. Although it does interfere with my plans for my next visit, which are to get the Kettle credit (unless I don't go until Fright Nights again) and then marathon Coaster.

This should be a very good installation of this ride type, as it's tall, it's a real StarFlyer, and it will provide great views!

^You wanna come up with 20 million dollars for a hyper coaster? I doubt they have that kind of money available for something that size. Not to mention finding the room in a small park to fit one in. Sounds like the park does need some love though. A Star Flyer is a good start.

well where do other parks come up with money and of thats a bad way to think if you are running a park as you have to spend alot of money to make money and this why playland sits empty most of te year with a lame amount of visitors

350,000 a year only and with the poplutation of vancouver being arond the 2.5 mark there is no reason why the attendance levels should'nt be around the 1.8+ to 2million thats the kind of thinking that keeps the park as sad as it is and they could pick up a real good coaster from a few parks that have gone under for the 3- 6 million dollar mark are even pick up a half decent coaster ( SPEED THE RIDE) from vegas for under 500.000 $ as im sure by the end of the month will be up for sale

I sent he park a link for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_Vu_(roller_coaster) which was s ride like this and it was 600.000$ which now is in idaho I believe here is the link ihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73QaEJ6VFyA&feature=related is possible to up grade the park for not alot of money.

I would assume that the Star Flyer ride is going to be in the spot where Wild Mouse used to stand. Right now, that spot is just a concrete slab with a bunch of picnic tables thrown on there. Atleast I think that's where it's going to fit. If I get a chance to pass by Playland, I will see if I can take some photos of anything interesting happening.

well where do other parks come up with money and of thats a bad way to think if you are running a park as you have to spend alot of money to make money and this why playland sits empty most of te year with a lame amount of visitors

350,000 a year only and with the poplutation of vancouver being arond the 2.5 mark there is no reason why the attendance levels should'nt be around the 1.8+ to 2million thats the kind of thinking that keeps the park as sad as it is and they could pick up a real good coaster from a few parks that have gone under for the 3- 6 million dollar mark are even pick up a half decent coaster ( SPEED THE RIDE) from vegas for under 500.000 $ as im sure by the end of the month will be up for sale

I sent he park a link for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_Vu_(roller_coaster) which was s ride like this and it was 600.000$ which now is in idaho I believe here is the link ihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73QaEJ6VFyA&feature=related is possible to up grade the park for not alot of money.

Considering the Windseeker's cost about 5 million each, I'd say the Star Flyer is probably on the low end of that 3-6 million scale. So they may be able to swing a coaster for that price as well.

they wont because the people running the park are actually clueless and lack what a real park should be like just look at the sad summer hours latest open for playland is 8pm most nights 7pm or 6pm wtf? (pne hours dont count) the park the way it is right now is designed for failure bad rides -over priced-and banker hours which I have no clue why they close so early what do they want to make home for dinneras parks look best at night with the lights on which most parks in north america stay open till 10pm or later ,but not playland!!!!!!!! BOY DO i SOUND BITTER,BUT iAM NOT REALLY! it just kind of sad the way the park is so poorly ran especially after the removal of the wildmouse which could have been refurbished and anyone over the age of 30 wold also know over the years of attractions that have been remooved like the Sky Glylder which

is now a ski lift on seymour mtn and the removal of the old dark ride which was I think called wild safari? and the indoor butter fly with all the disco lights and this is just to name a few of the things they have removed there was once a double ferris wheel which was actually one of the best rides they ever had here is a link to one.

Edited by doalds

^^I'm not a fan of the hours either. I love riding Coaster at night and there are very limited opportunities to do so, Fright Nights being the best option. However, I still think I'll try for a spring or summer visit next.

I did send the park an email about the lack of night hours the responded by saying this is what they think works best........

....duh of course you guys decided the hours lol! im sure 80% would agree night hours are the best.

Honestly what would you rather have:

A Small Family Coaster (Best you could do with 3-5 million)

OR

A Starflyer with great views and easier/wider marketing appeal

They'd choose the latter

actually the major attractions to parks is the roller coasters and like I said they need to add alot more than one cheap new ride as 2$million is a drop in a hat compared to what other parks add yearly and this would be ok if they actually added stuff yearly ,but they dont.and the park is real proud of themselves for adding this and actually think this is alot of money

thats why im so bitchy about the park and in the last decade more things have been defunct than addedby a long shot and their prices are amoungst the highest in north america by far you dont make money buy charging more you make money by actually adding things and charging less so you get alot more people in the park and then once you have in you make money off other oulets in the park (marketing lol) which they are out to lunch on

^ Hi, I see you're new here and welcome, but can you please work on the spelling and grammar in your posts? They are hard to read.

Thanks!

thanks mom!

You spelled "mod" incorrectly.

As Wes as suggested please follows the TPR's posting rules. Thank You.

^ Hi, I see you're new here and welcome, but can you please work on the spelling and grammar in your posts? They are hard to read.

Thanks!

thanks mom!

You spelled "mod" incorrectly.

As Wes as suggested please follows the TPR's posting rules. Thank You.

no I did mean MOM not moderator

JUST please delete me from this site and my post as I dont need a couple people commenting on a couple grammar points as I could point out some too!!!!!!!!!!

BYE have a great day.