TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Car rides.....

Everyone here loves coasters, and most seem to have differing second "favorite" types of rides.

I am a huge fan of log flumes...but the top of my "after-coaster" list is car rides.

Something about the look, the meandering track, the sound of the engines, I have always loved them.

They are a can't miss for me at each park.

The best one around was at Kennywood, and it is an absolute crime it has been taken down.

However, their "car race" is one of the best car rides around.

Dollywood's is fantastic, I just LOVE the theming in the que.

SFOG has a lame one, and has a terrible outside loading area that gets direct sun.

Knoebels is great, winding through the Phoenix.

I love when smaller old parks have them, as Lake Winnie and Santa's Village (NH) have great ones.

Anyone else a fan?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great news. I just love that ride. It's the only antique car ride that literally disoriented me. Not from speed of course, but it had so many turns, back in thick tress and brush, that you eventually had no idea the direction of the station. That was really cool, hopefully they'll be able to use simlar landscape to hide the turns.

Dude, SFOG is my home park, I go several times each year.

While the que is on a tree covered hill, topped by one of the most beautiful carousels around, the trees don't block any of the sun. Trust me. I love the park, but that is certainly a complaint. The majority of the ride track, ironically, is completely shaded.

Of the car rides I've ridden, one of my favorites was at Gilroy Gardens. For their holiday event they had lights all around the track themed to the 12 days of Christmas. I thought it was really pretty and unique. They also have 2 different tracks that go in opposite directions - one with cars from the 1920s and one with cars from the 1950s.

gilroyCars.jpg.0883aff8719b02bc866862c84b2df616.jpg

I'm a huge fan of car rides.. Hertz offers a ZHZ Corvette for a great price if you book last minute... I've heard it goes 0-60 in about 3.7 seconds and the ride is interactive.

Chris "we all like different types of rides, but it's hard for me to understand how a person that has an actual drivers license would be into a "car ride"" Connolly

Dollywood has my favorite, Rockin' Roadway. True, you can't control your own speed (no bumping), but the on-board soundtrack and auto repair shop themed station more than make up for that.

I used to really like Le Mans Raceway at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, as well, but those are sadly gone now.

I've been on several car rides, but only two stand out as being noteworthy. The first is Disneyland's Autopia. Not only is this one of the few left that still has a gas pedal, but it is also one of the longest. Whenever I visit Disneyland, I always ride this if the line isn't that bad. If it is long, I'll sometimes grab a fastpass so I can ride.

The second is the Gilroy Gardens Car Ride (forget the actual name). This was a lot of fun, and is the best landscaped car ride I've done. Unfortunately, it is a bit short, but when the line isn't that long (when I visited it was about ten minutes) the ride is definitely worth it.

I'm slightly disappointed that I missed the Rockin' Roadway at Dollywood. I was going to ride, but a thunderstorm moved in and they closed it. Maybe next time.

It is odd that people over 16 like "pretend" car rides, but I do.

In fact, I love them. Never miss them at a park.

Holiday World has a cool track, but the pedal takes alot of pressure to keep pushed and the vibrating will stay with your right foot long after the ride.

I've been on a few of these antique car rides as a kid. Gotta admit, most fun was the one at Dorney Park. Though the theming isn't much, the largely-shaded area it's in and the fact it provided GREAT shots at Thunderhawk, Steel Force, Posessed and Laser (R.I.P.), it was a fun little spot for a car ride.

Holiday World has a cool track, but the pedal takes alot of pressure to keep pushed and the vibrating will stay with your right foot long after the ride.

Holiday World's is one of my least favorite. Short, uninteresting, slow--and the theming/name makes no sense! I love HW, but the Lewis & Clark Trail is one of their weakest offerings, really.

I don't ride too many as it seems some parks have adopted the "no single riders" policy for their car rides. I would have loved to ridden Kennywood's but because of that policy I never got to ride it.

Of the ones I've been on..

Merrie Oldies at Geauga Lake - not the greatest theme wise but you got good views of Double Loop.

Le Mans at BGW - I only got to ride this once but I remember a nice long ride.

Antique Cars at Kings Island - the year they turned it into the "Route 666" attraction for Fearfest, I believe was in 2003. They did a fantastic job hiding the monsters along the course.

About SFGA, I thought they would take it out. It used to surround the Shipwreck Falls but that's gone and it takes up room for a major coaster spot.

But anyway, I used to love Mutley's Putt Putts at Michigan's Adventure before the great wind storm of 1998 tore that whole corner of the park up. It had such poor capacity so everyone at park open would run there to get it out of the way. Now they have the monstrosity that is BeBop Blvd. The Morgan car rides are piles of junk and it runs less than Kingda Ka did it's opening year.

I only ever been on the one's at disneyland before they got updated in the late 1990's or early 2000's. Also the odd one's at what is now CGA that goes by/under The Grizzly. I like such rides and bumper cars since I have a fear of actual driving.