TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Diet Coke fizzes past Pepsi

Moose

This one is for Elissa!

Diet Coke is now more popular than Pepsi!!!!

Diet Coke unseated Pepsi as the second most popular carbonated soft drink in 2010, according to data from Beverage Digest.

The flagship brand of Coca-Cola (KO, Fortune 500) -- is still No. 1, racking up 17% market share last year by selling 1.6 billion cases of soda.

In second place, Diet Coke had a 9.9% market share. Pepsi (PEP, Fortune 500) ended the year with a 9.5% share, a 4.8% decrease in volume over the previous year.

CNN

Edited by Moose

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a big issue here in Atlanta - very exciting! My theory is that, with Coke having a higher brand loyalty compared to Pepsi, regular Pepsi drinkers have been willing to take advantage of sales on Coke as the nation tightened its budgets in the recession. Of course, Diet Coke is totally better than normal Pepsi, so that doesn't hurt either

What I like about coke, is that you can open the can, put it in your fridge and come back an hour or two later, and still have it taste the same, Pepsi dies out over time.

What are you talking about? Pepsi tastes like that as soon as you open the can.

What I like about coke, is that you can open the can, put it in your fridge and come back an hour or two later, and still have it taste the same, Pepsi dies out over time.

What are you talking about? Pepsi tastes like that as soon as you open the can.

That seriously made me laugh, and it is true.

I must be the only person in the world who enjoys all 4 (Coke, Pepsi, Diet Coke, and Diet Pepsi) on almost equal ground.

But then, none happen to be my favorite (go RC Cola! )

In any event, I'm honestly surprised it took Diet Coke this long. I thought it would have long surpassed normal Coke by now.

So, this is a more complicated story than previously reported.

FORTUNE -- The soda world is bubbling with the news that Diet Coke has surpassed Pepsi as the No. 2 carbonated soft drink in the U.S. (regular Coke still reigns). But what's been lost in much of the hoopla is that the industry overall is, well, flat.

Diet Coke jumped a spot in the U.S. cola wars by simply managing to post smaller volume declines than Pepsi. Diet Coke was down 1% in volume in the U.S. in 2010 while Pepsi fell 4.8%, according to Beverage-Digest.

The trade publication reported that the U.S. carbonated soft drink category fell about 0.5%, but that's better than the 2.1% drop in 2009 and 3% drop the prior year. Because the sector has been shrinking in the U.S., Coke and Diet Coke's market share remained flat even though both lost a small percentage of volume. The soft drink category in the U.S. hasn't seen an increase since 2004, signaling that flagging sales numbers are not just recession driven. The total category's volume has now sunk back down to 1996 levels.

• 1 month later...

I have to say I'm surprised...where I work, Pepsi and Mountain Dew throwback both sell out very quickly, and pepsi products in general consistently sell out those put out by coke. Then again, I'm in an area that isn't as populous as it used to be (the northeast) while coke has the advantage of its headquarters in the southeast, which is red hot right now in terms of population growth.

Plus, I've never been much of a fan of diet coke when it comes to diet drinks. Coke Zero and diet Dr Pepper have always been my favorites, though I've been cutting back on the soda lately, like a lot of other folks here.

• 5 weeks later...

I live in North Carolina, so it's all Pepsi all-the-time. It all being in New Bern, NC after all. Honestly, I don't mind any of them. Dr. Pepper is my #1 choice but I don't make a fuss if its not available. I actually like Pepsi Max though, but Coke Zero is pretty good too.

Danged soda is my achilles heel!

I'll have to agree on what everyone says about Diet Coke and Pepsi. I prefer Coke products over Pepsi products any day. Pepsi just tastes odd. Coke Zero is still the best, though!

Although, I'm not the person who goes grocery shopping, so I have to drink what my mother buys, which is normally what is on sale. It's been Coke for the last few times though, so I'm good.

Haha, I'm reading all these "OMG COKE HAZ OWND PEPSI AS IT SHOULD BE".

Am I the only one that doesn't care? The difference isn't that extreme. Pepsi is sweeter, Coke is heavier. Or maybe it's just me.

Either way, I could care less lol. I drink both equally. It's not life or death if a restaurant carries Pepsi products or Coke products. I just drink both and both are good.