TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Volare Flying Coaster

What I find most unusual is that the trains never stop, they keep cycling around continuously, and slow down so you can catch one at the loading bay. I can't think of too many coasters that operate like that (waits for people to cite 100s of coasters that do that I don't know of).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^My thoughts exactly...and I'll be the dork who mentions that some Wild Mice cars don't stop moving.

The first one I rode was at Rye, which is a place where you would expect to find one. Seeing one at a huge park like Canada's Wonderland just looked so out of place, especially since it was so close to Behemoth if I remember correctly.

For the record, I think they are one of the biggest joke coasters out there...their existance amuses me.

It would be nice to see a compact type of flying coaster that is better. I guess Vekoma already tried that with the Sting Ray and it's obviously not catching on. http://rcdb.com/4124.htm?p=22644 I have to say that first drop looks very interesting though.

^The 2nd lift on STR hurts? I haven't experienced that...

This was back in August, so it could have changed since then (I hope so at least.) As the boat would approach the lift, the drive wheels underneath would be going very slow. The chain was going very fast. So when came into contact with the lift, the chain would grab the lift dog and yank the boat up the lift. It freakin' hurt. It's the only time I've been on a ride and everyone in the boat went "Ouch!"

^Though you don't have to chase the train on a mouse like you do with the Volare is probably more what I found striking.

Scariest part of riding a Volare! I can't believe it's legal to operate a coaster where you have to leap face-down into the car and hope the op slams the cage closed quickly enough.

They're not bad rides, really. I admire the ambition inherent in making a cheap-ass carnival version of a flying coaster.

^^Violated by Volare, thanks Zamperla.

I've got some good shots from Rye Gunplayland in 2008, of agony with no ecstacy, don't have them handy right now.

I've been on half the Volares in existence, this makes me sadder than George Michael would have been when he had to leave prison.

^^^Hey, it's the photo from the calendar!

I might ride one or two of these this year, and I'm a bit apprehensive. The cars don't look fun at all! I've only ridden Bolliger and Mabillard flyers so far, and I enjoy them. Tatsu is my #5 steel and S:UF is around #27.

^^Violated by Volare, thanks Zamperla.

I've got some good shots from Rye Gunplayland in 2008, of agony with no ecstacy, don't have them handy right now.

I've been on half the Volares in existence, this makes me sadder than George Michael would have been when he had to leave prison.

"Gunplay"land?

^After visiting Rye Playland in 2008 our group had various names for the place like Rye Stabland and Rye Gunplayland etc. It wasn't that dangerous a place more us being facetious. I think some of the rides were more dangerous than any of the patrons.

^After visiting Rye Playland in 2008 our group had various names for the place like Rye Stabland and Rye Gunplayland etc. It wasn't that dangerous a place more us being facetious. I think some of the rides were more dangerous than any of the patrons.

I agree. I didn't visit with TPR, but I can say I have never been more terrified in an amusement park than when I was on the Rye Derby Racer. That thing has got to be more dangerous than any Intamin cable.

Anyway, back to Volares, yeah they are dangerous too

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have a "guilty pleasure" with this ride? Meaning no matter how bad it might be, you STILL have to ride it? (and maybe even sort of enjoy it!)

Here is probably the best one we've been on (and that's not saying much!)

I ride them because they count as a credit, but the one I've been on'was awful. Even if I know the pain I also know that I will ride the next that will be in my way just because it's a credit