TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The TPR Games Forum Moderators Random Thread

robbalvey

Okay, so, the issue of double-posting, work thread posting, and posting of updates was brought up recently in chat.

Normally I would just blow the players off and let them rant. Not this time. They (specifically Coupon and Pacificoaster) were being particularly reasonable, and I'm in a good mood tonight.

I totally understand that bumping a thread with a single image in an attempt to receive comments on it is not a good thing. I know that RCT is a game and not a design tool. I know that we're not like dedicated communities such as NewElement.

But methinks that we have a little too much control sometimes. Granted, sometimes throwing the hammer down is warranted. But, maybe posting a single image in a work thread is okay, so long as A) it's substantially different from the previous image and B) a work thread is started with several images in its first post. Because, in reality, bumping a thread with an image of a new project you're working on is the exact same thing as bumping an older park discussion thread after receiving a press release.

Anyone agree with me? I try to be as reasonable/cool/understanding with our members as possible.

Edited by A.J.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My thoughts on it are this:

I spoke to coupon via message about it, and I mentioned the rules: One or two, Preview thread, Three or more, workthread/existing thread. However, if we open the door to letting people do one shot at a time, I have a real problem to this: We end up with lots of "this is my XXXX project, comments please" to bump it up. It will become a disease that spreads like wildfire, and that we won't regain control of in the end.

In some cases, the warnings are necessary- but I also like to keep things in balance all over. It has to be that way or we will end up with this:

"Well, so & so did it, so why can't I???? You're being unfair!"

I don't want to deal with that myself- so I apply the rule consistently & fairly. It makes sense to use the Preview thread for single/double shots, and everything else in workthreads/theme threads.

Coupon filled in his shots with two that he'd repeated from earlier updates. That's just not cool. If you don't have enough for a full update, that's fine. I understand that. Send the shots into the preview thread till you do, then when you have enough, put the pictures in your own thread, with details, etc. Bumping a thread with one shot? I don't want to see what would happen with a few of the OCD members if that starts.

Workthreads are governed by the same rules as the regular forum posts, and I think we need to keep consistent with those rules. I will bend if there are special projects, one-off projects, or with some of the model-building threads, as they tend to be more detailed in one picture than in a dozen of some other posts.

R.D.

Suggestion - lock the old preview thread and make three focused ones. RCT/RCT2, RCT3, and NoLimits. That way, the projects will get the exposure that their creators want without totally being sunk after a day.

We've locked some threads recently a little too quickly. There's always going to be one assclown or another that thinks he's above the rules, and will post away regardless of the rules. Those are the ones that be lock, ban, warn, etc. and quite honestly, I don't want around anyway. They can go to SGW, and NewElement, for all I care.

AJ, I like that idea and will start it now.

AJ & Matt: I love the new format- it will in a lot of ways make it easier for people to see what others are playing. Hopefully this will keep the single photo updates down to an absolute minimum. The rules update works nicely as well.

Re: The current challenge.

While in chat, Netdvn decided to tell another member this:

(16:46:32) netdvn: Just forget the contest

(16:46:42) netdvn: If enough people can't play it, they'll change up the rules

Netdvn has been a thorn in the games side now for a while, and I'm frustrated with his response. Should I suspend him, ban him, or forget the whole thing?

R.D.

Just forget it, it's not worth it.

Yep.

Does he even post anymore?

RD, you can't please everyone all the time. That's especially true with kids on the Game Forum. You have to develop thick skin. It took me a couple of years, now I don't care what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Two entries... and a lot of complaining about the challenge. I don't think even if we do extend it that we're going to see any more. People didn't like the "I can't make this the pretty building & scenery tycoon' challenge concept, so I'm about ready to call it COD- DOA.

I've already got a follow up contest on the heels of this one in RCT II; same basic concept.

Do as they ask, give them what they want, and they'll still piss all over it.

It's a pity. Do they really think that we're pushovers here?

Unrelated - a new user has popped up on the forums. NORMALLY, I would not notice. However, the username is "Kian". I did some poking around and remembered that Gerstlauer1, who was banned last year for obvious reasons, is named Kian in real life. The IP addresses between the two users don't match, however. The IP Address of the "Kian" account is 83.92.105.45.

• 2 weeks later...
Two entries... and a lot of complaining about the challenge. I don't think even if we do extend it that we're going to see any more. People didn't like the "I can't make this the pretty building & scenery tycoon' challenge concept, so I'm about ready to call it COD- DOA.

I've already got a follow up contest on the heels of this one in RCT II; same basic concept.

Do as they ask, give them what they want, and they'll still piss all over it.

Guys, can we announce a winner, and move on???

Since I upgraded to 10.8, my Wineskins have been nerfed, so I have no access to RCT3.

I would call SoCalCoasters as the winner based on screenshots alone.

All right, I'll take care of it, but I don't have any theme park stuff to give away. I also don't have CrazyParkManager's account credentials, so I'll just private message SoCalCoasters myself.

EDIT: Done. RD, if you could coordinate with SoCalCoasters at your earliest convenience, it would be super-awesome.

Edited by A.J.

Thanks, AJ- I appreciate the help. I"m in the middle of migrating to a new computer setup, which has brought some security hurdles from hades, and using a temporary setup to do things with.

I apologize for the delays here- my fault entirely- and can process things out in smaller increments until I get the rest of the setup figured out- sooner rather than later. For the time being, I'll be working on a temporary hookup (i.e. some web accessibility, but limited access to my own files). I'm hoping to be completely changed onto the new system by the end of the week, and have access to all of my stuff again.

Again, I apologize for my drop-off there.

R.D.

I've still got a handful of stuff here, and I'm happy to get it out, it will be less to move in the end of the day. It is also going to LA, so the cost will be a lot cheaper overall from A to B.

I am thinking that once I get everything up and running again of doing an RCT II contest around cleaning up a Halloween mess; I will need help with that one in running it, as after 16 November, I go into high-gear for about four weeks with travel & work. I'd be happy to set it up, but we'll go from there once it's out.

• 2 weeks later...

The new game will go live this evening/tomorrow morning.

"Wonder World" is a scenario based around renovating/refitting a park from Halloween to 'new' themes. It is the first time we've done a scenery-based contest, but it is also about dealing with limited resources for rides, etc.

First, and this does NOT leave this forum for any reason: There are several 'time bombs' built into the game. The first of which detonates about 25 seconds after the scenario is opened. The second about 90 seconds later. Let's just say that pranksters have fouled up the works of Wonder World, and that several attractions are pre-programmed to explode. There is no way to stop them, either. They will fire off automatically in what I consider to be the single best effects I've ever done in a scenario.

Second: The park is in a run-down state; the 'operators' of the park knew that it was temporary, and CPM bought it as such. The park itself is trashed, long lines & even better: Crap coasters. I've pulled from the -very- bottom of the bad ride barrel for this park. Rides such as the Golden Horse SLC, the Meisho Shuttle Loop & the Chinese Knock-off corkscrew are used here. Seriously, this one is my Masterpiece for RCT II scenarios, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to top this one.

Judging will be based upon who renovates the park correctly, removing the halloween overlays & displays, and who figures out how to use the land, scenery & space to the best advantage. The parks' goal is 10K in revenue per month- and with five coasters to begin with, that should not be difficult at all.

The ParkRider Wing coaster add-on DAT is required for this game. Everything else is straight-up based on the game itself, and is basic.

C.P.M. will also be running a photo contest in the same thread. People can win a prize based upon the photos they post up- Hopefully this will boost posting on the thread itself.

R.D.

Put the scenario and the ride DAT in a .zip file together, but otherwise, it sounds very devious.

Does the inverted coaster have near-stalls? You have to be authentic there.

Edited by A.J.

LOL- as a matter of fact, it does- at the top of the camelback before the sidewinder. Then it's brutality from there on out! We're talking a real chunder-maker.

I expect there to be some groaning over the explosive rides, but hey, they should know how to deal with them by now. I was going to list the ParkDat for the Wing Rider coaster along with the scenario itself to prevent problems along the way. Hopefully this will reduce complaints.

(I know, I live in a dream world...)

So, is the scenario supposed to use Wacky Worlds?

I'm not sure that putting the source saved game through ParkDAT would get rid of the "needs Wacky Worlds" warning, but I could give it a shot. You might have to go back to the original landscape file, find the Wacky Worlds scenery/rides, and get rid of them.