TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] East Side Lagoon: 1982 - A Stroll Through the Park

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize that I again don't have a real update... Past week's been rough. But I do have some news on next year.

------------------------------------------------------------------

1965 - Middle Eastern Cafe

The park has stated that a huge announcement will come sometime in the next 2 weeks regarding next years new additions. Rumors have spread that some more old rides will be put back in, though some speculate its time for a new coaster. The park has given us some indicator though.

Shot1082b.thumb.jpg.02b101e88d2f5d138a3d61a62a0e9055.jpg

Seems we're getting some changes (again) to the Middle Eastern Cafe. Should be interesting to see what's really going on...

Ugh Photobucket is such a pain... I've used flickr on occasion, I may switch full time to that. And transfer my files if I can. I've got tons... But it may pay off in the long run. Though I am surprised that this has been becoming quite common for me! And it's never happened in the past. Perhaps my park is getting much more popular!

And I do have some news today.. Big news actually!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, the park publicized its plans for the next 2 years in a press release sent to newspapers and media around the area. The details are below....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Today the park embarks on a new frontier. Take a ride on Hornet! The parks first STEEL roller coaster.

In connection with this huge new attraction, the park will be adding its biggest addition ever! A new area putting you right up close and personal with the lagoon from which the park earned its name. This new addition will include some rides which were put out of service temporarily, as well as a new flat ride, a Scrambler ride. Also new will be the renovation of the now out of service Middle Eastern Cafe into a dodgems ride.

-----------------------------------------------------

A special thanks to Rudie for designing this monster!

Tsk, tsk. You use Photobucket, and some of your images are dead. See what happens when you don't upload your images as forum attachments?

Hornet looks great, you should show us more of it.

Tsk, tsk. You use Photobucket, and some of your images are dead. See what happens when you don't upload your images as forum attachments?

Hornet looks great, you should show us more of it.

Pshhh.. I do upload them here! The photos at the end of last update just happen to be EXTREMELY old and while 90% of all the photos here are uploaded as attachments, I don't believe the first few pages are... yet. Someday I'll get around to updating them.

Ha, don't worry about it; just messing with you.

I do want to see more of Hornet. Maybe you could hop in your 1960s helicopter and give us some overviews?

Looking very nice, Garrett! That Wildcat (I think..) model is definitely an important thing to have, saying Schwarzkopf was one of the biggest things of the time. But please delete those ingame connecters when you have the chance. They stand out in the ugliest way.

But it still is beautiful- can't wait for more.

Looking very nice, Garrett! That Wildcat (I think..) model is definitely an important thing to have, saying Schwarzkopf was one of the biggest things of the time. But please delete those ingame connecters when you have the chance. They stand out in the ugliest way.

I actually think it's a Jet Star. But I agree, it's amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
Ha, don't worry about it; just messing with you.

I do want to see more of Hornet. Maybe you could hop in your 1960s helicopter and give us some overviews?

Haha, all in due time!

Good call! No clue how I missed them...

I actually think it's a Jet Star. But I agree, it's amazing.

Yupp, you're right, it's a Jet Star II.5 haha. RD made some modifications to its original model.

If Schwarzkopf were to once again return, Markus has all that wonderful Wild Cat Custom Track lying around...

Great Looking coaster! Can't wait for a POV and closer look!

I won't be using any of that track I don't believe. My park is already hanging on for dear life with crashes!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1966 - Approaching Opening Day

The park has undergone numerous changes in the past year. We can now witness it's full waterfront beauty.

14.thumb.JPG.249e02ad5430b552d091dddedaa16ea5.JPG

New fountains, planters, rides, and architecture are sure to draw the eye.

18.thumb.JPG.45f31f68205aad476f157814c4594617.JPG

The Middle Eastern Cafe has been fully renovated and converted into a bumper cars ride. An interesting fate for such a classic building..

15.thumb.JPG.4a1fae9bd4f469f00df2093a61c45497.JPG

The old Roll-o-Plane is back in style, sure to give some great views of the water.

16.thumb.JPG.91b12c249d944ee4eeaa48f288a42a4a.JPG

A new scrambler sits dormant awaiting its first customers come May.

17.thumb.JPG.28f22491ec1ff6140f6c175589b341d2.JPG

You may recognize this fountain as the centerpiece of the swimming pool. It's been relocated and spiffed up in its new location.

19.thumb.JPG.f9af50285859b0a7ab776aef9bfd8475.JPG

Can't forget about the star attraction! It won't be open until 1967, though construction is still working fast.

Ugh... I typed my replies out, but then I closed the window. So I will just say thank you very much for the comments! Again, huge thanks to RD for making the Jet Star for me.

The story's gonna take a more personal twist as the 70's come along. Mainly because I don't plan on making drastic changes every year, but want to keep the park at a good pace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1966 - Meet the Staffords

Hello all! My name is John Stafford. I'm the towns resident coaster enthusiast and I've been selected to document my trips here from now on. My great grandparents have been coming every year since the park first put in the Racer. That's my wife Angela and our kids Arnold and Jenna.

Lots has changed since the old days, but we still love the park and all it has to offer.

The kids love the ferris wheel. Especially Arnold who insists on riding it everytime we pass by.

This is the spot I proposed to my wife and I'm so glad that it's still here. Even if it's quaint comfortable atmosphere has been drained..

We're oh so looking forward to this thing next year! Track work appears done, though they must have a lot planned if this is still opening up next year.

1966 - Views from Backstage

Shot1087.thumb.jpg.ab10c5b6c518e2b76f85cce61a95dd5c.jpg

Little Dipper as got quite a history at the park. Back in its time as Chase Thru the Clouds, this ride really did put the park on the map. It's a shame it's been scaled back to a kiddie ride, but the fact that it's even still standing is something to be grateful for.

Shot1088.thumb.jpg.1fd1fd11a971d610c2eeaed26a2961e1.jpg

This station has changed many times over the years, it currently uses a fairly bare, open air design.

Shot1089.thumb.jpg.e313b0a16ebf290bd74d18c56926f3d5.jpg

Most people are unaware, but the park has got there own little water supply right next to Racer. Drawn from a natural spring, it fills the lagoon after winter. Plus it shows off some twisted sections of track!

Shot1090.thumb.jpg.57848613216531cfe5f9ffb851e8e58b.jpg

There's never a shortage of green here at the park. They've got a commitment to keeping it pretty, and it really shows!

Garrett- as usual, this park does not disappoint in any way; I wish I could have 1/10th the skill scenery-wise that you do with a park like this.

As for the JetStar: Garrett did all the support work- I provided the design (And with some tool-help from him in the zero-clearance device!) based as close as I could on the original JetStar I/ib model from Schwarzkopf. The ride is possibly the most accurate single Schwarzkopf model I've ever done, as being able to produce the tighter clearances for the turns really did help out on that.

I will admit that I'll never be the master builder that Garrett - and a few others here at TPR - are. For me, the challenge was delivering an accurate, reliable and well-designed coaster, and I'd like to think that was done.

R.D.

• 2 months later...

1967 - Welcome the Hornet

It's me, John. Last summer I got a bit caught up in my work, but this year I'll be sure to get to the park as much as possible. There's always new surprises, and this year has got quite a few!

Shot1130.thumb.jpg.637c6228e4935ee1588ba8056b198f1d.jpg

The fountain was recycled from the pool, and still holds beautiful in its new location.

Shot1125.thumb.jpg.cdb3cf3fb12025519c80218337d806d4.jpg

A scenic lagoon overlook has been added as well as an Octopus ride. Keeping true to style, they don't overwhelm the park too much.

Shot1127.thumb.jpg.a85fd9e5b64b218a8001c1880056055f.jpg

The monster of a ride that is Hornet looms behind the new bathrooms.

Shot1126.thumb.jpg.9396009152fc283fa5ecf0ce54e03789.jpg

One more pic of Octopus before braving Hornet..

Shot1123.thumb.jpg.fac38c9b85bf6308766d610d1161b4a4.jpg

Once again, it isn't too overwhelming. Presumably as its not the most permanent of fixtures.

Shot1124.thumb.jpg.e5b65dc212df7a2312d9573294fbd315.jpg

It gives a totally new contrast to the parks existing atmosphere. It's mechanical, fast, sleek, and thrilling.

Shot1129.thumb.jpg.bb165a1d544b1803c9fbf18278ff87a3.jpg

Don't fear! The park still has all it's old charm.

Shot1138.thumb.jpg.a748a562356b709e38b5c3a173e11297.jpg

Not my picture, but shows the newly opened area. Try the bumper cars! One of a kind experience staged in a Middle Eastern building.

What a unique park ! The foliage, paths and fences/railings work is virtually flawless : it's pretty detailed, varied. Your buildings and coasters are not too imposing but truly beautiful. And the theme is simply genius, original and well-executed.

I'm going to watch this thread.