TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] East Side Lagoon: 1982 - A Stroll Through the Park

1937 Opening Day

We are finally at opening day! Years of hard work and determination have finally paid off!

Shot0914.thumb.jpg.3eaba8a269736ce9c57f7162574707a0.jpg

We had to change a ton, so it's nothing like daddy remembers, but it's all there!

Shot0915.thumb.jpg.c59b7d87db16434a5b49c090791407d3.jpg

Twister is running smooth as butter. We couldn't get new trains, so you'll be getting plenty of bruises.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a4e27bb2002dee8093b850f8421bcd65.JPG

Racer is running a little rough for me. Would have liked to see more measuring... Not so much eating.

Capture2.thumb.JPG.c68e919ec044cf93f8740245ff71f533.JPG

Unfortunately, it would have been impossible to budget for the Parachutes. It's simply in too bad of shape, frayed cable and a crumbling structure. If we can find the money, we'll tear it down. Until then, it's our punishment for troublemakers!

Capture3.thumb.JPG.59996752e1a2b6c4d7d120e7ada4a6be.JPG

The dance hall runs full tilt at night. It's the closest place next to Kennywood's dance hall. Although ours is only slightly better of course!

Capture5.thumb.JPG.e27c50c7a05652a1943597145719532b.JPG

Food is selling wonderfully. The low prices have brought people to the park just for food. Yet we keep them here for the rides!

Capture6.thumb.JPG.599482dcb69d5d1bc7c0a4f28530ed3e.JPG

The Caverns are still in bad shape, but very much operable. We didn't pour a lot into it, but with the little profit we knew we'd be getting, it all balances.

Capture7JPG.thumb.JPG.4c9628c981ef033180abf308a994bfb2.JPG

This fence was put in to prevent all the junk from being visible, at least from the ground. I say it's not tall enough...

------------------------------------------------------------

I should have had this update long ago... But here it is anyways!

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made the decision to stop 'aging' the photographs. From now on you will see the park in the raw, as it was made to be seen in rct3.

-------------------------------------------

A Beautiful Day At the Park 1937

Your narrations are now being conducted by the one and only Big Al! (Park Manager)

Shot0929.thumb.jpg.2cc3c1cc5238c668d7198876f91e4b76.jpg

Ahh, the first happy train of peeps in years! Looks like this race is gonna be pretty close! Hopefully neither side encounters any loose bolts.

Shot0928.thumb.jpg.9d40392bc0e8e4aab0c7778c8427965b.jpg

We made a great choice opening the snack bar. It's really bringing in revenue. Plus you get some fantastic views of Racer from your seat!

Shot0931.thumb.jpg.40252ec94489cb4cd4027121556d0a32.jpg

It still holds a visual stronghold over the entire park.

Shot0926.thumb.jpg.cbb43e2ed5a4186b7a785ef4dd5a7758.jpg

A less interesting new feature is this brilliant landscaping display. The front paths were basically remolded to allow for it, and it all flows so much nicer now. There's now a lane on either side heading towards Racer and Twister with no head on traffic! (Oh geez... That lady there in front, we don't even sell alcohol!)

Shot0930.thumb.jpg.97f8fdbe8eb6851370f6091036119cf0.jpg

I decided it would be nice to finally reveal the true layout of Twister. Even seeing it doesn't make it much easier to decode! Watch out for the finale, it's quite a thriller. (Taken from atop the Parachutes)

Shot0927.thumb.jpg.3f75ea94c81cd0295785837ff5075c65.jpg

A not very well published thing about this ride. After the first season, when the pathway heading towards the pool was put in, the ride was re-routed under it providing a much more thrilling drop and turn.

Shot0932.thumb.jpg.a0eaa0b140c466aa9e2b04b78d1b1dc3.jpg

There's no better feeling seeing all these people still enjoying the park. We've had quite a successful first day at the park. Let's hope these numbers continue throughout the season!

Edited by grrt

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, I apologize for the delay. Summer is a very busy time for me and rather than my random free time going into the game as it does during the school year, it goes into friends and guitar etc..

I've still got lots planned for the park, and while I haven't worked on it for quite some time, I've got at least 15 years of updates ready to be made.

And I apologize that the last two updates' photos aren't uploaded to TPR, I haven't enough time currently to upload them here, this project is barely staying together currently. I know, I know, you're spending the time to look at my updates, the least I can do is upload them here. I'll do it soon.

---------------------------------------------

Boy, only a few weeks into the season and things are turning out to be a huge pain in the arse to handle. Never would I have thought that one day you'd get 1500 admissions, and the next only have about 100.

Operations are running the same as they've always had. We're a little more cautious and gentle on the ride systems, but all seems to be good apart from a stray break down every other day or so.

Food is selling alright, not much to say profit wise. We're getting a lot of picnickers still.

Cleanliness is going up seeing as we've currently only got about a third of the park to watch out for. Vandals are so far non-existent, we're hoping the trend continues.

Well, enough chit chat, let's see how the park' doing today.

Shot0937.thumb.jpg.e92faf2a8d65bd9f82970f44df474e32.jpg

The Caverns is seeing a boost in attendance today. Kids love it. People don't seem to be bothered by the overall raggedy feeling of it, I guess it helps the atmosphere!

Shot0944.thumb.jpg.d3fdb9468f945ff7a305a52100274b63.jpg

The midway is flowing really well, one side goes to Racer, the other to Twister, very little opposite way traffic.

Shot0939.thumb.jpg.a4f37e8e25167b851487e62188a1db4c.jpg

Thought I'd give you some behind the scenes shots! Unfortunately we're still running the beat up trains, I'd like to have that fixed real soon!

Shot0940.thumb.jpg.350b9dbe417d407300e1d2fdb2809dfe.jpg

Ahhh, true beauty! I wish we could have salvaged this view...

Shot0941.thumb.jpg.fa5b043776a9e75930cef0a29a61de04.jpg

This stretch of track is impossible to spot from the midway, and provides one of the best airtime sections in the park.

Shot0942.thumb.jpg.3e62d5c8ecaf533645d4f03c8472ef1e.jpg

Contrasting with the airtime, I love this immediate dose of Traver genius dubbed hells salad bowl, that follows. It's adjusted many of necks over the years... It also serves as the crossover point allowing there to be one continuous stretch of track.

Shot0938.thumb.jpg.9a5368ffe33a9631f9742111378f4989.jpg

Perhaps not the most comprehensive picture, but a sign towards the future?

Edited by grrt

Yeah... this park still rules! Awesome job... this reminds me a lot of Charleston Gardens(which was before CD5's Six Flags South Carolina) but with you're own vision added. Also I want to commend you on not only the awesome historical accuracy, but also for the interactivity and decisions for the park. Not only have you created an awesome park... but this story just seems so real, and even your gaming photography is TOP NOTCH! Take it from someone who just started playing RCT3(after years of playing 2 before it broke ) this is the kind of park I aspire to make!

Keep up the awesome work and best of luck to you and Eastside!

Yeah... this park still rules! Awesome job... this reminds me a lot of Charleston Gardens(which was before CD5's Six Flags South Carolina) but with you're own vision added. Also I want to commend you on not only the awesome historical accuracy, but also for the interactivity and decisions for the park. Not only have you created an awesome park... but this story just seems so real, and even your gaming photography is TOP NOTCH! Take it from someone who just started playing RCT3(after years of playing 2 before it broke ) this is the kind of park I aspire to make!

Keep up the awesome work and best of luck to you and Eastside!

Thanks! I've taken a lot of inspiration from CD5's parks. I love his simplistic style that doesn't require loads of detail to be pleasing. And I've always tried to keep my parks as open to community criticism as possible, so the interactivity seemed a logical choice. And the historical accuracy is where a bulk of the work for this has gone. It's very hard to create a historically accurate park when you go back this far. There's very little in the way of choices. So I'm glad you like the park! I hope you stay involved with it as it continues to grow!

Nice collection of updates, the pictures seem great. Those wooden coasters are a mess of track.

Haha, yes they are! I had to make quite a few layout changes to keep them compact.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breaking the Lucky Streak

"Sir, you'd better come quick, we've got a problem!"

"This better be good.. Nobody interrupts my lunch break!"

RacerFire1.thumb.JPG.04240939e7a8e4243ea4d5220ff7c857.JPG

"Ahh crap! Why couldn't it have been the coaster that's just sitting there like a damn lawn ornament!?"

Aftermath

Shot0949.thumb.jpg.de201b93fbb4e98cd6e6800dc601fadf.jpg

Upon further inspection... The track above the station seems to have caved first, hitting some equipment, sparking an electrical fire. Eyewitness reports will back this up as well. It was first thought that the fire caused the track to fail, but that was not the case.

Shot0950.thumb.jpg.09a1a683984ef237d212ebe6818cfbac.jpg

The structural damage is very small in comparison to most amusement park fires, and it was kept under control for the most part thanks to the town fire department. However this still comes at a large price. The roof collapsed during peak hours on a fairly crowded day. One ride operator is dead, along with about a dozen sent to the hospital as a precaution. Mostly scrapes and bruises, though one of the other operators has a broken arm. The station was quickly evacuated and being that they were already single file, nobody else was hurt!

The ride has since been shut down indefinitely while an in depth investigation can be conducted on the structure as a whole.

Edited by grrt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1959 - Mob Rules?

We return to to the park to see it yet again, having fallen victim to the elements. It's a tragic tale dotted with stories of stunning success, and shocking failure. We all know the park has seen some bad times. The terrible events of the depression took a huge toll on all of us. Unfortunately, the constant we all came to live for every summer, all but vanished into history. Luckily, some of us we not willing to let our enjoyment fall by the wayside. The park saw a short rebirth in the late 30's. For a second, we all thought we would have our favorite leisure place back for good. But as fate would have it, the timing wasn't quite right and the depression still wreaked havoc on America. The park was lost to nature yet again and sat on the back burner for a few decades. We never saw much activity from that old bluff up on the hill until now.

A group of legitimate businessmen known as Salizoni's Construction Coorporation, are tired of their ways in olive oil and office buildings. They want some spice for their spaghetti. While on a business trip, one of the men discovers the remains of the old park in the woods. He goes back to the boss and suggests they expand their business there. But the boss has a better idea. Rather than merely move up there, he goes to the city and makes an offer they can't refuse on this gorgeous piece of land. Within weeks, an unknown project begins as the dust is once again blown off.

The plan... re-establish the park and turn a large profit. With a nearly unlimited budget, the project is teeming with life. Among the most notable changes (though unadvertised) is the converting of the restaurant across the lagoon to a club including gambling, and alcohol. All coasters will remain standing, however one will be changed to a kiddie coaster to accommodate for the boom of children.

Progress is steady. The park is expected to reopen to eager crowds on Labor Day 1960.

Shot0958.thumb.jpg.6a7985d8362ee390d418777fc48ff612.jpg

Among the first new buildings to go up is this centerpiece to America. Representative of opportunity and prosperity that is offered to those coming overseas.

Shot0959.thumb.jpg.bdb6f3b8c1fa2f9b06fbd29741e79eb4.jpg

No details are available of the fate of Sky Streak, but it is known that the wood has almost entirely been replaced.

^ Yeah... It's not easy trying to track the depression.. There's simply too much going on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1959 - New Traditions

Shot0960.thumb.jpg.fae9be66e1309b4bf0652d3d3e578a35.jpg

The famous Racer station, an icon at the park, has had it's trademark facade leveled, and redone. The fire which sparked the end of an era, is giving way to another beautiful creation soon to be another recognizable feature of the park.

The spire which held the letters for the ride has been retained, only moved. The letters are still en route, but are modeled after the original letters. The new station has a more traditional, open air feel to it. It's been designed to be much more efficient than the old station, and is now capable of running four trains, or two sets of racers at a time.

One other huge difference on the new Racer is that its track has been extended considerably and reworked to allow for the new station. The result is sure to make it an even more impressive yet congested coaster.

Shot0842.thumb.jpg.0d3a5b13c6c5ffa3f449b923438f1af4.jpg

New rides are going to be joining the lineup for opening day. Including this beautiful Rotor sitting at the location of the old Tilt-A-Whirl, only raised on an artificially created hill.

You can also see that two old icons will infact be returning. The old Jefferson house which has been there since near the beginning, is being converted into a gift shop, with the second floor acting as a museum.

As well, the old Allan Herschell Ferris wheel built for the 1924 season has been refurbished and will be opening with the park on opening day.

The public should consider themselves extremely lucky that the company holds such high value in family traditions and values. Otherwise it's near certain these great rides would be lost forever.

Ahh yes.. I can say you won't be seeing a steel coaster in this decade, but things will pick up once the seventies come rolling around. The odds of a Schwarzkopf appearing are high at this point. Haha.

To anybody coming across this park. I would recommend that this point in the timeline is an excellent time to go back and read through the thread to see what you've missed. All the history of the park is coming together at this exact moment in time, and before a new era begins, I think it's important to see where this park has came from before you can see where it's going next.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1959 - Piecing it All Together

On to the next part of our tour. We see the now famous Cyclone, finally becoming beautiful once again. Once the park went under, people began realizing what a gem of a ride they had in their backyards. But unlike the hundreds of coasters lost to the depression, this may see a happy ending.

Shot0962.thumb.jpg.f1899ec9a121f85757a2c9a286bf7d24.jpg

Sporting the facade created in 1935, the ride has been enhanced and emphasized by a modest garden and fountain right outside the queue. The queue itself has been renovated to allow for more guests and smoother movement. Still unfinished are a ride sign as well as the benches and lighting.

Shot0963.thumb.jpg.196c1d3ec64b5cbb0fd0bab5d126a358.jpg

Some may be disappointed to find that Sky Streak (Chase Thru the Clouds) has been kiddie-ized. However, it retains its first drop making it one of the more intense kiddie coasters out there. Also notice the brand new (custom) supports that were added!

• 2 weeks later...

Opening Day - 1960

The entrance has begun filling with people at the beginning of the day. Nothing new here. Some pavement and landscaping make the area pop.

The park has went all out on the landscaping, as evident here.

The layout technique that was done in the past to keep opposite way traffic to a minimum has again been implemented.

Racer still stands dominantly over the park. The new flairs on the station are really evident.

The classic Snack Bar sees itself added back in a quaint area as it's architecture reflects.

Not much change back in this corner yet. It's been opened up a bit to give it a more Middle Eastern feel.

The Rotor is surrounded by flowers. It was decided that trees would have clogged up the area too much, not givig a proper view of any of the ride structures.

It could be called bare yes... But emphasis on the ride structures was the point to this area. Back in the 20's this area was bare as well, getting back to the roots was a major concern when redesigning the park.

STUNNING.

I'm digging the new look to the park as it looks amazing- and the new landscaping really does make it 'pop' quite a bit.

(BTW: When it comes time for you to add your first Steel Coaster, I've got some great pics of various early gen models for you...)

R.D.

GFMT

STUNNING.

I'm digging the new look to the park as it looks amazing- and the new landscaping really does make it 'pop' quite a bit.

(BTW: When it comes time for you to add your first Steel Coaster, I've got some great pics of various early gen models for you...)

R.D.

GFMT

Thanks! It's been a lot of work to get the park a new face. And I'd love to see some of those pictures when the time comes. It won't be for some time though..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1960 - Nothing Like the Sunset

The Caverns are still operating. The facade has remained untouched since it's opening.

The so called 'backstage' of the park is now being used for patrons. It leads to the pool which was luckily salvaged after some extensive renovation. We now have a full view of two of Twister's main elements.

Still the centerpiece here, the only change is that the floor has been updated to concrete to cut down on maintenance costs. The famous string lights that have been there since day one are still there, in an updated format.

The Racer, yupp.

More Racer goodness..

The Dance Hall is still used for dancing.. Still popular as well.

Nothing like a sunset ride on this mammoth.

Beauty at its finest... Can't get enough of the horse.

A rough overview of what the park looks like at the entrance.