TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] East Side Lagoon: 1982 - A Stroll Through the Park

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1936 Verdict

After a lengthy court process, the verdict is finally in, a new chapter in the park is about to begin. The longtime consultant and owner of the park has won out the battle. In the end he received a sum of $150,000. A sum much larger than originally intended. He also reclaims full ownership of the park and all its assets. But in return, the bank has ownership of the land, and Al Jefferson owns the land on a lease for the first 20 years after the verdict. Placing the end of the lease at 1956. At which point Al may fully buy the land, or sell it to another owner.

The park is now being reevaluated and a cost is being estimated to what it will take to make the park open to the public. The future is looking bright for East Side Amusement park. The Depression is quelling ever so slightly it seems and this case is a silver lining to a very dark era. We can only hope for the best as many begin their long path to recovery.

Shot0895.thumb.jpg.3b0674482f274bef59f3e5a1fe5d7922.jpg

The estimates came in this morning. There are two sets of numbers. One determines the cost it will take to fully restore the park. The other determines the cost it will take to open the park in minimal running form.

HIGH NUMBER: $445,000

LOW NUMBER: $225,000

As you can see there is not much wiggle room for the park. With literally $150,000 to his name, Al Jefferson simply is not in the position to open the park to its original condition. It was anticipated that the number would be much lower. However, upon inspection, there revealed many structural *failures* not just flaws.

Al is now faced with a serious predicament.

COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION SECTION

Option A: Revamp only certain sections of the park while leaving others untouched allowing for full restoration of a few locations in the park. This option is a big risk because the rest of the park is still visibly disgusting, and not completely off limits, but may also allow to at some point fully restore the park.

Option B: Select a new plot of land and relocate the park (just the name and possibly a few attractions) to a new location. This would mean designing a new park, as well as leaving behind the old, but is the most cost affective method.

Option C: Completely level the park and start from scratch. This cancels out all previous plans and setups for the park. This is a last resort option and would mean completely re-designing the entire park.

Option A.

B reminds me of what they did to Elitch Gardens in Denver, Colorado in the 90's. Not a pretty or smart move, and eventually due to the growth of the City of Denver the park gets friggin' landlocked by the growth. Plus, I believe SFEG has flippin' parking meters in their parking lot since they're owned by the City of Denver,

Therefore, Option A and take chances and see what happens.

EDIT: Ghost, Kennywood looked and felt fairly ghetto from what I heard in the mid-80s to early 90s from what I've heard by word of mouth and from friends. Kennywood managed to survive, sure, that's not about until 40+ years later. But, it's a point that merits mention.

I have to go with option A. I just don't see how relocating would actually be cheaper than refurbishing. Start with an area of the park and hopefully get as much as possible in running order. Keep in mind this is the 1930's and the safety standards aren't there. A ride with structural flaws would be hidden from the patron's until something tragic happened.

I have to go with option A. I just don't see how relocating would actually be cheaper than refurbishing. Start with an area of the park and hopefully get as much as possible in running order. Keep in mind this is the 1930's and the safety standards aren't there. A ride with structural flaws would be hidden from the patron's until something tragic happened.

Well if you think about it you wouldn't have to worry at all about precarious refurbishments that could easily drain funds if anything went wrong, and you would also have the benefit of starting fresh as big or small as you like, without the workload of trying to maintain a golden age sized park in a depression period. Since the rides and buildings are newer, you wouldn't have as much worry on upkeep and maintenance in the short term. As for safety, you have to realize that leaving a park completely untouched in an overgrowing area, where there is frequent rain and snow, for the better part of 5 or 6 years, does not do well to wood. Often times, structures would have collapsed, which isn't exactly something hideable. I do see where you're coming from though, safety isn't as big of a concern, but it doesn't mean there still aren't standards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Final Decisions

We seem to have near unanimity on opening only sections of the park to the public. Now the question seems to be what do we open??

Below is listed a major ride followed by smaller attractions in that area. Also given are the prices to restore the attractions, as well as the total price for the 'area'. Your job is to choose the area (or areas if you so choose) to be restored.

$105,000

Twister $50,000

Dance Hall $20,000

Caverns $20,000

Restrooms $5,000

Formal Entrance $10,000

$78,500

Racer $60,000

Parachute Drop $7,500

Restrooms $5,000

Snack Shack $6,000

$95,500

Sky Streak (Chase Thru the Clouds) $35,000

Tilt-A-Whirl $6,000 (Replacement)

Ferris Wheel $4,000

Owners House $10,000

Restrooms $3,000

Carousel Building $30,000

Picnic Pavilion $7,500

$108,000

Middle Eastern cafeteria $50,000

Picnic Groves $15,000

Carousel Building $30,000

Disconnected cafeteria $10,000

Restrooms $3,000

$108,000

Swimming pool $75,000

Picnic Groves $20,000

Restrooms $3,000

Main Street Eateries $10,000

Here is an overview to help get a better picture of what exactly it is you will be refurbishing. The green represents overlap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is likely the last community exercise I'll be doing for a while. I'm just going to let the park pan out for a while and hopefully make some headway on getting into the present day.

But there are other expenses with relocating such as ride/building demolition and new land purchase.

Inconsequential at this point as the community has decided. Are we still looking at $150,000 on hand to begin refurbishment? Also would it be possible to associate the colors with the areas mentioned in the prices? My first thought would be to start with the entrance which I am assuming is red. The second area with Racer is blue. That's where I would start. Also there is some inconsistency with pricing. The bathrooms have different pricing $3,000-$5,000. Are these different bathrooms? some of them recur. Are they in overlap sections?

So far I am at:

Twister $50,000

Racer $60,000

Parachute Drop $7,500

I would say the Formal Entrance, but at $10,000 it sees a little steep to take funds away from actual attractions. If possible I would probably scrounge as much money by cutting corners here as it needs to be able to be entered, but it doesn't necessarily need to be exquisite. "Working order" will do. If that will still cost $10,000 then so be it.

That puts the total at $127,500. The bathrooms would get the same treatment as the entrance. Unfortunately that means that there will probably be complaints about them, but people come to a park to have fun, not to look at the restrooms. I assume in the two areas there are more than one set of restrooms so I will take the combined $8,000 for two restrooms.

Snack Shack $6,000 kind of expensive, but people will want some food.

That leaves about $8,500 for some landscaping and beginning to refurbish some of the other rides. I would spread it around to get things closer to working order so that the company could use any profits to continue to refurbish other rides.

OOC: And now that I've written a book, I want to compliment you on your park. This is not an easy idea, especially since you've given a hand in the planning to the community. Kudos to you for undertaking such a task. So far it looks great. Are you going to try to make any dilapidated photos? I think some of the vine CSO's would work well for gathering moss. Great Job on the park!

But there are other expenses with relocating such as ride/building demolition and new land purchase.

Inconsequential at this point as the community has decided. Are we still looking at $150,000 on hand to begin refurbishment? Also would it be possible to associate the colors with the areas mentioned in the prices? My first thought would be to start with the entrance which I am assuming is red. The second area with Racer is blue. That's where I would start. Also there is some inconsistency with pricing. The bathrooms have different pricing $3,000-$5,000. Are these different bathrooms? some of them recur. Are they in overlap sections?

So far I am at:

Twister $50,000

Racer $60,000

Parachute Drop $7,500

I would say the Formal Entrance, but at $10,000 it sees a little steep to take funds away from actual attractions. If possible I would probably scrounge as much money by cutting corners here as it needs to be able to be entered, but it doesn't necessarily need to be exquisite. "Working order" will do. If that will still cost $10,000 then so be it.

That puts the total at $127,500. The bathrooms would get the same treatment as the entrance. Unfortunately that means that there will probably be complaints about them, but people come to a park to have fun, not to look at the restrooms. I assume in the two areas there are more than one set of restrooms so I will take the combined $8,000 for two restrooms.

Snack Shack $6,000 kind of expensive, but people will want some food.

That leaves about $8,500 for some landscaping and beginning to refurbish some of the other rides. I would spread it around to get things closer to working order so that the company could use any profits to continue to refurbish other rides.

OOC: And now that I've written a book, I want to compliment you on your park. This is not an easy idea, especially since you've given a hand in the planning to the community. Kudos to you for undertaking such a task. So far it looks great. Are you going to try to make any dilapidated photos? I think some of the vine CSO's would work well for gathering moss. Great Job on the park!

I really appreciate the thought out comment! People hardly like giving them these days.. I'm glad somebody is able to recognize the work and research that has gone into this project. It's taken me around a year to get this far, with plenty left in store.

And yes. There are two separate bathroom locations. One at the front, the other at the back of the park. And the colors do in fact coordinate to the areas given. But the green represents overlap. The $150,000 is what is able to be put forth *at maximum* excluding loans and other messy things that I'm sure the park would rather not get into. That's the very top of the price the park would like to pay for refurbishment.

You all can expect an update in the next few days. I'm planning out how exactly I'd like to make this happen.. And with my school picnic to Kennywood on Tuesday, you can probably expect a posting of my Thunderbolt recreation fairly soon after that.

$105,000

Twister $50,000

Dance Hall $20,000

Caverns $20,000

Restrooms $5,000

Formal Entrance $10,000

This is my choice. Given this particular period of time you could make a bundle by having some big bands perform at the dance hall (could make it into a temporary supper club where guests could dine and dance the night away).

1936 Spare a Toilet?

LOG: Day 1

First day back at the park. Renovations slated to begin in the next two weeks. Visually, park looks better than expected.

Shot0899.thumb.JPG.03c6754a5ff353ff9eed44d88f754498.JPG

First impresion.. Massive amounts of overgrowth and vines, but seeing only minor structural problems at entrance. There doesn't appear to be any mine subsidence here. Apart from shingling and resurfacing the roof and brick, we may fly in under budget on this one.

Horse statue showing very little cracks or wear. A quick coat of paint a some sealer and we should be clean sailing.

Shot0900.thumb.JPG.b41c137bf34c9655f6d6bc5de71e6675.JPG

Twister is giving me doubts. There is seemingly an uncountable number of sections needing retracked, rebuilt, or simply done away with all-together. Adding to my worries, the station is in major need of restoration, it's falling apart!

*******Expect major delays and provide extra budget for this ride!!!!!!!!

Shot0901.thumb.JPG.5631967d25b06232eb5b3aabe33050ed.JPG

The Caverns, not so lucky here... Concrete and wood in horrible condition. Expect major refurbishment. GOOD NEWS!! Most stunts just a little dusty. Interior in good condition.. Expect full 20 grand on this one.

Shot0902.thumb.JPG.3204f47f00f900f3dff19feb994f4bc9.JPG

Racer, breaking even. Not great, but not too bad. Expect retracking and replacement of structure. Most of low-lying structure in fairly good shape. High points awful. Full budgeting for this.

Shot0903.thumb.JPG.09bb3c84b7c5a8f1dd9647f0ad6d06fc.JPG

Tip, DON'T USE!!!! Awful stink. Backed up onto floor. Exterior fabulous. Interior an absolute wreck. New plumbing a must!!

Make sure not to bring lard again for lunch...

• 2 weeks later...

Twister Progress 1937

Shot0904.thumb.jpg.a28c2600ec4bdfa39297ceb1f5ef90b7.jpg

Week 1

Shot0902.thumb.JPG.9f70785674df2f68fdd46f87cadaab49.JPG

Week 3

Shot0905.thumb.JPG.34cb726e6450fd500e3a2536a08d5f2e.JPG

Week 10

Shot0908.thumb.JPG.8c0878f677174df45ba7eebeba4b16fe.JPG

Where we stand now at Week 12.

Progress going smoothly. Major retracking still needed for Twister. Landscaping not slated to begin until June.

Opening day on Independence Day looking good.

• 2 weeks later...