TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] East Side Lagoon: 1982 - A Stroll Through the Park

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I thank all of you for your kind comments! I will try to extend this park as long as my computer can handle it, be that 1970, 1980, or hopefully something around 2000 2010 ish.. I strive to progress but not to the point of exploding my park like many parks have died. And I can't stress this enough, but give me some critiques. I'd hate to see little flaws turn people off this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 21, 1932

Depression Hits Local Park Hard

It was revealed today that local amusement park East Side Lagoon has shut its doors. After declaring bankruptcy in an attempt to salvage what was left of the company name, Monongahela Sterling Bank has left the business after a short 4 years with the establishment. After analyzing the season, the park did not have the funds to open for its 32nd straight season since opening in 1900. Their attempts to sell their rides or salvage any money failed, and the park has been left to rot in its current condition, unmaintained. No buyer is currently being sought out, and the park has since been put under possession of the state.

We can expect it to be quite some time before any pickup in the economy occurs. This was certainly not the first of many classic family parks to meet this fate, and will surely not be the last.

Shot0869.thumb.jpg.fbae07ce8e7f8a1f8245aa59f994ff84.jpg

Shot0870.thumb.jpg.0fda8ac21042f2a69008a7c36635fbf4.jpg

This is very realistic. I can almost believe that it actually happened.

give me some critiques.

Okay, how's this:

Everything looks exceptional, but I am not all too fond of the building in the second photo. Unless that dome thing isn't actually part of the building, in which case I think it is fine. Everything else is great.

This is very realistic. I can almost believe that it actually happened.

give me some critiques.

Okay, how's this:

Everything looks exceptional, but I am not all too fond of the building in the second photo. Unless that dome thing isn't actually part of the building, in which case I think it is fine. Everything else is great.

I've had some mixed opinions on the building. It's based off of Middle Eastern style, as I've seen occassionaly in old parks and cities trying to mimic another style of foreign architecture in small doses. The old building masked the dome a little better, now the building is a little more polished off and simplified for better or worse. I'm not trying to nod off criticism, and I will take a look at the building for future development and hopefully make it a little nicer. I had many thoughts about what to do with the building and that seemed to fit best. Here's my reference building for comparison. Similar, but not exact. You can see that the dome is trimmed off at the bottom with a wall, different from mine.

http://www.twip.org/photo/middle-east/israel/photo-10162-14-08-08-06-24-03-xl.jpg

As if things couldn't get any worse, it's now come out that the park was planning a comeback attraction that could have held the park for a few years. Unfortunately, funds ran dry before the track could even take shape. The train would have recycled the Loop-de-Loop station, and provided transportation to and from the pool and to the entrance. But unfortunately this investment came too late, as the park finally fell into the deep red. As of now, there seems to be no hope for recovery, the park is decaying and each day that goes by that the park is inactive, things become worse and worse, not just for the park, but the whole country.

Shot0872.thumb.jpg.6514e575e66cf7392fe9cc655cdfc37d.jpg

A scene of what could have been. The roof is collapsing, and the paint on the Cyclone has peeled off almost entirely. Leaving us to wonder what this place will look like in 5 years.

I'm in possession of a rare color photograph from Opening Day of 1900. It's the only valuable possession I have left. It reminds me of the magic this place has. I hope you all can find some connection to it as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you all are making it in these tough times. It feels like every day is getting harder for me. I've had to work my ass off looking for job after job.. You'd think it'd be a little easier for a man of my previous stature to get employed.. Guess not.

As it stands right now, I'm making zero in terms of money, my prized and cherished theme park has gone down the drain, I have no house, Roosevelt's New Deal is just making me skeptical. Actually, regarding my house, I just recently went to check on it. It's become old and decrepit. Infact, the whole park has. There's not a sound coming from it except for maybe a few birds in the ceiling.

Capture.thumb.JPG.fed75bac3d5acd0e77223c4e2cefcd8c.JPG

The place reeks of marijuana smoke and shame..

The place reeks of marijuana smoke... it wasnt me... I swear!

This is so amazing... it's kinda like watching a movie. Historically I know what happens next, but I am looking forward to your take on it. You're an amazing park maker, Grrt!

Former Park Owner Sues Bank

The former owner of local amusement park East Side Lagoon Amusement Park, Alfred Jefferson, has filed charges this past week against Monongahela Sterling America Bank. He is claiming the bank did not do their best to attempt to salvage the park during hard times, and is asking for $100,000 in compensation. This comes after the bank has begun recovering as a result of the New Deal. There is hard evidence on his side, as between the start of the depression and the time the park closed, no cost cutting methods had been made by the banks financers. The park had ordered multiple new attractions following the depression, yet all of the orders were cancelled at the expense of Al himself. There is also an incident where the park opened and ran all of its rides all day while the park only had a total of 40 admissions all day.

This development is expected to reach fruition by summertime, and if any ruling is made in favor of Mr. Jefferson, there may still be hope left for the little park that could. And perhaps if funds are invested wisely, the park may see reopening by 1936, with possibly pickup in attendance by the 1940's.

Shot0874.thumb.jpg.07e09374b6c91d1a4b73756aa144481f.jpg

A picture dating back to 1929, when the park was in its glory days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I apologize for the hiatus, I've been pretty busy been an idiot wit my buds.

As of this update I'm going to be making some changes. For one, I will try my best to make this park more 'approachable' as there's often times lots of history and in general too much reading for the average bear. I'm going to start experimenting with multiple timelines. Which means I'll have the communities act as sort of a jury and determine to an extent what changes go on. Although I have the major idea set in my head, I like to get community involvement as it forms more of a connection to the park.

--------------------------------

1935 A Critical Decision

After many months of debating and judging, the jury has finally reached a verdict. But before we tell you that, let's review the circumstances.

es3.thumb.JPG.ab669ea3dc4744f74da2709e2d4a86ba.JPG

1928: The park receives a brand new wooden roller coaster designed by Harry Traver. All is going well at the park.

es2.thumb.JPG.ced8ab440df69aa7a619546c4624c55f.JPG

1929: The park continues growth with the addition of a pool behind Cyclone (New for 1928) Attendance at the park shoots through the roof. Al Jefferson (Prosecutor) as financial consultant to the park, advises cost cuts to allow for larger profits to afford the new planned coaster for the next year. Management (Defendant) does not believe cost cutting is necessary because of large attendance and does not make any cuts to provide for the expansion and continues business as usual.

es5.thumb.JPG.cfc6cc8090d1ad27e10691db93d0e44a.JPG

1930: The Depression hits the park hard, all the savings that were made disagreeing to Al, begin to vanish, as banks, including the one owning the park, go bankrupt. The park is able to hold on thanks to having held on and spent its surplus on opening the park in fully grand condition with no cost cutting despite the Depression.

es6.thumb.JPG.a7d2db497a83cc573dd276c5a429ef46.JPG

1931: The park continues operation, but a year into the Depression, the park is barely holding on with its existing ride parts and attendance being at an all time low. Little to all savings are held on to at the park as banks are very unstable still.

es1.thumb.JPG.281c3cac430252ca6b42e3c98fd3324b.JPG

1932: 2 years into the Depression, the park is still attempting to continue business as usual. They manage to accumulate enough funds to acquire a new train ride from a defunct park. Planning is made and construction begins. The park begins advertising a new free form of transportation for the 1932 season. Unfortunately, funds run dry as attendance becomes non-existent at the park. The park still tries continuing business as usual into the 1932 season until it finally is forced to declare bankruptcy in late June of 1932. The park opened with the construction of the train at a standstill.

COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION SECTION

And now here we stand at the verdict, which not only determines the ultimate fate of the park. Who is in the right?

SIDE A: On one side we have the park owners, who tried their best to maintain the park in its full glory. Not wanting to see the park become second rank, they run the park as usual, which allows the park to hang on for 2 years into the Depression. But could have resulted in tons of wasted funds and may have ultimately doomed the park.

SIDE B: On the other side we have the financial consultant who advises the park cut all costs and save their money for another outlandish coaster of which the park has 3. He tries to help the park hold on until recovery can come, and successfully does so for two years into the Depression. But he also halted what could have been important progress at the park.

Make your choice, Side A or Side B. BOLD YOUR CHOICE!!!!

Edited by grrt

I would say Side B. Having history as hindsight and knowing the depression will only get worse until the US becomes involved in WW2. Metal will become rationed as the war effort picks up. For the park to survive it may even need a hiatus for a few years as so much of the population will be gone, attendance would be hard to come by. WW2 is a tough time to create a timeline through. I guess it depends on how long of a timeline you plan to have.

So far the votes are deadlocked at 5 a piece. Remember, YOU are the jury! Which path do you want the park to go down? Both may have their ups and downs. It's a matter of opinion. Big heartless business, or greedy America? The ultimate fate of the park lies in the hands of this gruesome court case. Which is the lesser of two evils?

Side A: 5

Side B: 5