TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Robb & Elissa in New York City!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started to look at the trip report I was not all that hungry. By the end of it, I feel like going to New York and getting some pizza. OMG I am like so hungry for pizza!!! BTW nice Charlie Sheen jokes. All of those pizzas looked sooooo freaking good!!!! Great trip report guys.

Pizza? For dinner? Lightweights! I woke up this morning and had deep-fried hot dogs and onion rings for breakfast, followed by a mid-afternoon cannoli at the Cake Boss' place in Hoboken.

Both pizza tours (Scott's and Larry's) were the most fun I've had in a long time. Thanks again, guys!

I've always enjoyed NY style pizza over Chicago style anyway.

You are much wiser than Matt Jacobs.

Ryan - I just couldn't eat pizza today, but convinced my office mates to go to NY Pizza Suprema later this week with me (it's near my office and sometimes on Scott's Bus Tour)

Edited by larrygator

You are much wiser than Matt Jacobs.

Thank you Larry! I feel the same way!

I've, ahem, got four that I ordered through the FAO Schwarz website. I've got a lounge singer, Alfredo, his wife Fettuccina, reporter Sheldon Newsbury and a kid, Dieter.

That's amazing Steve. I'd love to see pictures of them. I really want my own muppet right now and pizza.

I posted a trip to NYC I made back in October on this forum, and I found the same Toys R US. Awesome place!

As a matter of fact, I'm going back to NYC later this month, from the 25th to the 28th. I found a great looking La Quinta on 32nd st to stay at, that was only 130 some dollars a night. For NYC, that's impressive.

My sister's an NYU student, so I have a good excuse to go down and visit...that, and a while ago, my mom went down there to see "Angels in America", which my sister got her tickets to as a birthday present, so now it's MY turn to take a solo trip to see my sister.

I haven't fully decided what I'll do, but there is a pizzeria you guys missed in Manhattan called John's, which I've also heard great things about, and is close to where I'll be staying. However, that pizza tours thing does sound really cool, otherwise. Plus, my sister wants to take me to the Chelsea Market, because she says they have really good Gelato there, among other things.

This was one of the best TRs I've seen in a while from you guys, and that's saying a LOT! Keep up the good work, and congratulations to the newlyweds.

I haven't fully decided what I'll do, but there is a pizzeria you guys missed in Manhattan called John's, which I've also heard great things about.

The original John's was on my ghetto pizza and cannoli tour schedule that got cut short due to too much food and the ridiculous rainstorm. The original in the West Village is much better than the one on 44th Street.

Two good pizza places within walking distance of your hotel are NY Pizza Suprema (sometimes this is a stop on Scott's Pizza Tour) and Lazzara's. I'm too lazy to look up the addresses but you can google them.

We haven't been back to NYC since we got married there, 12 years ago. We're planning on a trip with the kids in the next year or two. Definitely going to have to do the pizza tour!

I want pizza. And cannoli. Now.

Nice to see that you went to "The Top of The Rock" instead of the Empire State building. I personally like the view and experience better at Rockefeller Center than the Empire State Building! I just recently went up to NYC at the end of November/first of December. I had a great time and can't wait to go back!

^I agree. Top of the Rock is a WAY better experience than Empire State. TOTR provides a better view of Central Park, it's cleaner, updated and it allows for a great view of the Empire State Building, something you don't get while standing on top of the Empire State Building Plus, there's all those dreaded lines at Empire State (from Wikipedia)...

The lines to enter the observation decks, according to the building's website, are "as legendary as the building itself:" there are five of them: the sidewalk line, the lobby elevator line, the ticket purchase line, the second elevator line, and the line to get off the elevator and onto the observation deck.

There's a semi-fast pass option, though. Allows you to skip a few lines. Even still, Rockefeller Center/Plaza offers much more in terms of an overall experience, espeicially during the holidays. If you're going to do an observation deck, TOTR is where it's at IMO.

Yeah I totally agree. I did Empire State Building back when I lived in NY and just remember being annoyed that it took so long and was so crowded. We tried to do it again 10 years ago and the lines and workers were all obnoxious.

This time at TOTR I couldn't believe how empty and friendly everyone was, and you saw from the pix we had an amazingly clear bright sunny day. It was awesome!

One other piece of advice to NYC travelers...don't try to get a cab. It's not gonna happen.

Unless you're going to the airport, the vast majority of NYC cabbies will refuse to give you a ride, even though they're not supposed to do that. Even my sister in NYU has only managed to get a willing cabbie about 3 times since she moved there. You're much better off with the subway or the buses.

One other piece of advice to NYC travelers...don't try to get a cab. It's not gonna happen.

Completely untrue! Unless you are African American. Cabbies discriminate, that's a fact!

The subway is usually a better option (quicker and cheaper) but it's not difficult to hail a cab unless it's raining or during a shift change. The problem I see is when people try to hail cabs that are "Off Duty" or already carrying passengers. The lights on top of the cab signify if the cab can pick up passengers. Also, people constantly try to hail a cab in an area where cabs are not legally allowed to stop (bus stops).

Edited by larrygator

I never have trouble getting a cab, unless it's between 5pm-7pm. I believe that's a scheduled shift change so most of the cabs you'll see have their off duty lights on.

Also, it's TOTALLY true that taxi drivers racially profile, they're encouraged to...Check it out here: http://nyulocal.com/city/2010/12/08/ny-taxi-union-racially-profiling-is-perfectly-fine/

^^^I've been in NYC ten years - I usually ride the subway (MUCH cheaper), but I've never had any problem getting a cab. There are thousands of them - you can usually just walk out to the street, hold up your arm, and one will stop within a minute or two.

The ONLY time I ever had a problem was Halloween 2000. It was a very busy night. Oh yeah, and I was dressed as a zombie, and I was standing with a zombie nurse and a seven-foot-tall pirate robot drag queen. The zombie nurse and I were positively DRENCHED in blood. That night most drivers took one look at us and kept driving, but even then we finally got a ride. Under normal circumstances though, it's very easy to get a cab quickly.

Yeah I totally agree. I did Empire State Building back when I lived in NY and just remember being annoyed that it took so long and was so crowded. We tried to do it again 10 years ago and the lines and workers were all obnoxious.

This time at TOTR I couldn't believe how empty and friendly everyone was, and you saw from the pix we had an amazingly clear bright sunny day. It was awesome!

I totally agree with this. TOTR was far superior to Empire State Building when we went to NYC for our "mini-moon" after our wedding. We did both, primarily because it was my first time in NYC, but we said that we'd have no desire to do Empire State Building when we go back someday (and that was even after hardly waiting at all to go up).

Thanks for posting this awesome trip report! I loved NYC when we were there, and I know we'll be back at some point. The make your own muppet looks so cool! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time! Oh yeah, and.....

Must. Do. Pizza. Tour!

Oh my gosh!!! I was in the city Friday afternoon and night! That would have been awesome to meet you guys because I plan on going on future TPR Trips!!!!!

I like the picture of the Apple Store!! I went there too and it was packed. Such a cool store! Those pizza pictures made my mouth water! Now I'm hungry!!