TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is the weather like in TN, VA in late Aug?

My friend and I are thinking about going to Dollywood and Busch Garden in VA in late August. We were also looking at stopping by Kindg Dominion as well. We are both from Ca and never traveled to that part of the country before in the summer time. Any idea what the weather is like during that time? It seems like late August is our only option this year and we are debating to wait until next year to go early June. We are just wondering if the heat will make us more miserable than having a good time. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks

Marco

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Be prepared for brutal temperatures and humidity; that being said, August 2010 was actually cooler than June and July of that year (which were worse than usual). You can get free cups of ice water at both KD and BGW at park-operated drink stands. KD also has a decent water park, whereas BGW offers more shade.

It'll be hot, but if you pace yourself and drink plenty of water, you'll be OK.

Edited by cfc

Every time I go to Dollywood, I go in early September. The crowds are low but the temperature is still nice. The Smokies are at least high enough in the mountains that heat really isn't too much of an issue at this time of year. I went to Kings Dominion/Busch Gardens in mid August in 09 and thought I was about to melt.

I'm not sure if you're staying in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area, but I can't ever stop there without visiting the Smokey Mountain Brewery in Gatlinburg. I'm not sure how old you are, but they have great brews and great week night specials. If you're not of age or not a drinker, there are plenty of fun things to do.

It's bearable if you STAY HYDRATED! In August a few years ago I got heat exhaustion since I hadn't been drinking much (too exited about the rides, it was my first time there in years) and this nearly happened a second time this year but thankfully I got to shade as soon as I started feeling the symptoms and I was okay within 30 minutes. But this might just be me being extremely sensitive to heat (I've had problems before)

Now all I do is just survive off of the free ice water they give out. That should do the trick, and you'll be fine!

My friend and I are thinking about going to Dollywood and Busch Garden in VA in late August. We were also looking at stopping by Kindg Dominion as well. We are both from Ca and never traveled to that part of the country before in the summer time. Any idea what the weather is like during that time? It seems like late August is our only option this year and we are debating to wait until next year to go early June. We are just wondering if the heat will make us more miserable than having a good time. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks

Marco

Ever wonder what the weather is like inside your lung?

It's dark, hot, and humid. It's the same weather you'll see at Busch after dark.

Dollywood might be somewhat cooler, because it's in the mountains, and likely less humid, because you're not standing in a swamp. Still, it will be warm and moist.