TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Merlin brings The Orlando Eye & more to Orlando!

Merlin Entertainment has sent us a press release confirming their intentions to bring at least three of its key properties to Orlando within the next few years.

Global visitor attraction operator Merlin Entertainments (‘Merlin’) confirmed today that it is working with entertainment company Circle Entertainment, Inc. (Cexe.pk) and developer Unicorp, to bring at least three of its best known global attraction brands to Orlando including Madame Tussauds and the Orlando ‘Eye’ – a sensational 425 ft high wheel! Talks are well advanced, and if agreed, the attractions will form a key part of Circle and Unicorp’s exciting plans for I-Walk Orlando – a new high quality development of retail, restaurant and bars and entertainment facilities scheduled to open in 2013 in the centre of International Drive at the old Mercado location.

Commenting Paul Kanavos, President of Circle Entertainment, said “I-Walk Orlando will be a very exciting addition to International Drive, providing a unique mix of leisure and retail activities. When we were looking for a partner, Merlin was the obvious place to start and we welcome them to I-Walk. Merlin has a unique portfolio of indoor visitor attractions all with global reputations; but most importantly they are the owners and operators of the world famous London Eye observation wheel in the UK. They are also the second largest attraction operator in the world and are expanding very rapidly here in the USA. Circle Entertainment is committed to building and owning the Orlando Eye at I-Walk Orlando and is seeking other preeminent domestic and international locations for its Observation Wheels under its exclusive worldwide license agreement with US Thrill Rides and Bill Kitchen, its founder."

Unicorp President Chuck Whittall is excited about the project and his development joint venture with Circle Entertainment. 'We are so pleased to undertake this extraordinary new development opportunity that will re-shape the landscape of International Drive. We waited patiently for four years to create the ideal retail and entertainment destination. This is it and will be a world wide destination. I-Walk Orlando has secured all necessary zoning and entitlements.”

Commenting Merlin Entertainments’ CEO Nick Varney said “I-Walk Orlando is destined to be a ‘must visit’ destination for Orlando’s millions of visitors. With this project we believe Merlin, Unicorp and Circle Entertainment will be bringing an exceptional group of new attractions to what is undoubtedly the best and most exciting location for family entertainment any where in the world. More than that, in October we are opening LEGOLAND Florida in Winter Haven, our second LEGOLAND theme park in the USA and fifth in the world underlining the importance of North America, and Florida in particular, as key development areas for Merlin.”

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Orlando 'Eye' – a 425 foot high observation wheel.

As Orlando is obviously one of the most beautiful and picturesque cities in the world, I can't wait to see it from this vantage point.

This was kind of my thought as well....

Edited by robbalvey

^Maybe you could get a good view of WDW from up there.

Perhaps some of IOA and SWO, but I'm guessing it'd be a bit too far from the Disney property to make it worthwhile. And considering SWO already has an observation tower.....well, yeah.

Edited by BeemerBoy

Hooray for even more things on International Drive, because you know the traffic wasn't bad enough.

While I am kind of excited about the museum and the rest of the plans, having an "Orlando Eye" does seem quite pointless. I mean, we already have Seaworld's sky tower and Characters in Flight at DTD and this is a total of 25 extra ft.

As long as they keep Charley's Steak House on the proprerty, I'll be happy! It's my favorite restaurant in the world! Amazing high-end steak at reasonable prices (for a steak house, at least.) I think it's just about the only thing left at the Mercado that's still open.

I've taken a few years off from Orlando, but I honestly miss Chaley's more than I miss just about anything at Disney, including the rides!

• 2 months later...

http://www.wftv.com/news/27782220/detail.html

Universal Studios is suing three companies that plan to build a brand new entertainment complex along International Drive. It would be called I-Walk.

Last week, Universal filed a federal lawsuit against Unicorp USA, Merlin Entertainments Group, and Circle Entertainment. Universal claims these companies are trying to capitalize on City Walk's name and success.

The companies plan to build an entertainment complex at the site of a former shopping and dining complex called Mercado.

The lawsuit alleges trademark infringement and unfair competition.

According to Universal’s suit, the I-Walk name will likely cause confusion and it deceives consumers. But some people WFTV spoke to didn’t think so. "I-Walk and City Walk are too different. One has a C. One has an I," said Orlando Resident Beatrice Vidal.

WFTV made the drive between the two locations and it is just under three miles away. Universal is concerned that people will be more likely to confuse two places with similar names when they are so close.

"I don't necessarily think it's ridiculous because it could take some of their business away from them," said one tourist.

A Universal spokesman said the theme park would not comment beyond the filing. He said it speaks for itself.

The president of Unicorp USA told WFTV he was confident the issue would be resolved amicably.

So... having a trademark with the name "walk" in it carries with it a de facto block on any other attempted trademark with "walk" in it???

I guess I can't exactly blame Universal for trying, but, it's a mostly laughable lawsuit. Best part is the "confusion" that they fear. OH NOES! PEOPLE WON'T BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CITYWALK & IWALK!!11!!!1!! I know it's Florida and all but really...

So... having a trademark with the name "walk" in it carries with it a de facto block on any other attempted trademark with "walk" in it???

I guess I can't exactly blame Universal for trying, but, it's a mostly laughable lawsuit. Best part is the "confusion" that they fear. OH NOES! PEOPLE WON'T BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CITYWALK & IWALK!!11!!!1!! I know it's Florida and all but really...

When you consider how many people who visit Disney ask where the Harry Potter ride is, it's not a stretch to say that people will be confused by the two similarly named areas.

I don't think it is just the trademark on "Walk" but rather the use of "Walk" in relation to a themed night life/restaurant area in the center of the attractions area of Orlando.

• 1 year later...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-09-11/business/os-i-drive-live-wheel-signs-20120911_1_giant-wheel-chuck-whittall-observation-wheel

A project to build a giant wheel on International Drive got the go-ahead from county commissioners Tuesday, after developers dropped plans to put a giant advertising logo in the middle of it.

Unicorp National Developments, the company behind the I-Drive Live project, said it would forego efforts to put the sign on the wheel, after it came up against opposition from some area businesses.

Company president Chuck Whittall, who early on in the process said corporate sponsorship of the $70 million wheel was essential to the project's financial success, said Tuesday he hopes to offset some of the lost revenue through job-creation incentives that he is discussing with the county. "We're confident that everything we're doing with the tenants and the incentives we're discussing — that's sufficient for us to move forward," Whittall said.

The project is slated to be anchored by a 450-foot tall observation wheel, as well as a Sea Life aquarium and a Madame Tussauds wax museum. It will also include restaurants and shopping.

Whittall said work for scientists at the aquarium and engineers for the observation wheel may qualify for job-creation credits.

But county commissioners said they were not aware of any incentives being offered for the wheel, and staff members who handle such incentives were not available to provide any details.

Unicorp promised to break ground immediately on the $250 million project, located at the site of the former Mercado shopping-and-dining complex on International Drive. The giant lot in the midst of International Drive has remained vacant for years. Now that construction is slated to start, Unicorp said it expects the project to open in 24 months or less. When it first announced the project last year, Unicorp said it planned to open the entertainment complex in 2013.

While area business owners had expressed support for the general project, they'd argued that special waivers for signs and murals requested by Unicorp were beyond the scope of what should be allowed in the convention district. Eventually they reached a consensus with Unicorp on everything but the giant wheel sign, said Chrissy Martin-Foglesong, executive director of ETC, which represents several prominent businesses along I-Drive.

Commissioners approved several other waivers for signs on the property: They'll be able to paint giant murals on the aquarium and the wax museum and will get exceptions when it comes to certain other sign restrictions.

ETC, the group of International Drive business owners that had initially opposed the sign waivers, said it approved Tuesday after Unicorp's concession.

Commissioner Fred Brummer was the lone dissenting vote against the waivers. "You get into these exceptions and the next person behind Mr. Whittall wants an additional exception," he said.

imag0270.jpg-20120911.jpeg.82bcbffe5ef1a24f2ba035fb92369c91.jpeg

Rendering of the giant observation wheel proposed for I-Drive Live, with large circular sponsor/advertiser logo in middle of structure. (Unicorp National Developments / Sep 11, 2012)

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2012/09/commissioners-approve-i-drive-live.html

Orange County Commissioners on Tuesday approved the observation wheel project proposed for International Drive, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

The approval came after Unicorp National Developments, the company behind the I-Drive Live project, dropped its plans for a large advertising logo in the middle of the observation wheel because of opposition from nearby businesses.

The Orange County Commission earlier this month delayed a decision on requested variances and waivers for signage at the I-Drive Live development.

Steve Baker, president and CEO of Orlando-based hospitality consulting firm Baker Leisure Group LLC, previously told Orlando Business Journal that the signage package — especially for the Orlando Wheel — is critical in getting this project going.

Now that Unicorp President Chuck Whitall has agreed to drop the advertising, he told the Sentinel he hopes to make up the lost revenue through job-creation incentives he has discussed with the county.

i-drive-live-rendering-2-web.jpg.fe18b8b56bacf3360091dc8da764da16.jpg

Courtesy of Antunovich Associates

Orange County Commissioners on Tuesday finally approved the observation wheel project proposed for International Drive after Unicorp National Developments dropped its plans for a large advertising sign.

Notice in the concept art you can clearly see Madam Tussaud's and Sea Life still included next to the Orlando Eye.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Charley's is awesome...not Del Frisco's awesome but still pretty great. I like the idea of the wheel and it will be good for the convention crowd. A small aquarium sounds like a good idea and the old folks will have something to do with the wax museum. Certainly better than what's there...or not there. I like the fit for Orlando.

The suit is simply posturing as "likely to cause confusion" because Universal don't want a rival attraction from another powerful leisure business parking up next to a load of hotels where a lot of their clientele come from.

If it were all about the name infringing, then Apple could sue them if they wanted.

So they want the government to foot the bill for their lost advertising revenue? Hope they at least force them to keep the jobs for at least 10 years to make it worthwhile...seems pretty common for companies to cut staff the day after they meet the requirements for their "job creation" incentives.

^ Agreed. Admittedly we don't have a really big wheel in Orlando (I guess the one at Fun Spot is the only one!) but I don't think there is really much of a draw! You wont be able to see any WDW parks from the wheel that well and the majority of what you will see is sprawling roofs from the convention center and hotels and beautiful I-4.

I think what I find most interesting out of this whole ordeal is how protective of International Drive the tenants are when it comes to signage, building design and advertising. As kitschy as I-Drive can be it has been maintained a much better image than the neighboring 192 or similar setups like you have in Pigeon Forge.

It is nice to see the old Mercado plot finally being put to use. I have plenty of memories from that former complex and it was a shame to see the place demolished with nothing to replace it for so many years. Provided the project can prove to be self sustaining once it is built, I truly look forward to seeing this section of International Drive come back to life... Plus with the list of rumored tenants for the new development (BJ's Brewhouse, Red Robin, Sea Life, Madame Tussaud's, etc...), this could be a great new place to hang out while in Orlando!

• 1 month later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2012/10/unicorp-inks-red-robin-kings.html

Unicorp National Developments Inc. is kicking into high gear on its mixed-use projects along International Drive — complete with a new Red Robin restaurant and a bowling alley concept that would debut its fourth location nationwide.

The Orlando-based developer, which on Oct. 22 announced it sold six of its existing retail centers for $263 million, did so to focus on its new developments.

Among Unicorp’s new developments: I-Shops, the $100 million renovation/expansion/redevelopment of the 1,054-room Wyndham Orlando Resort, along with the $200 million I-Drive Live, which is anchored by the 425-foot Orlando Eye observation wheel and Merlin Entertainments Group Ltd.’s Madame Tussauds wax museum and Sea Life Aquarium.

Unicorp principal Chuck Whittall announced at a gathering of Commercial Real Estate Women last week that his firm has signed several tenants for both projects. Among those are gourmet burger eatery Red Robin, Cooper’s Hawk Winery, Chuy’s Tex-Mex restaurant, Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba’s Italian Grill, Buffalo Wild Wings plus a new concept called Seafood Republic, created by Orlando restaurateur Bobby Moore.

Moore, who previously brought Race Rock Restaurant and Beluga restaurant into Central Florida, also created Big Fin Seafood Kitchen at Dellagio, the 130,000-square-foot mixed-use development which was part of the sale announced by Unicorp on Oct. 22.

Additionally, the firm signed King's Bowl, a bowling-dining-entertainment complex, to 28,000 square feet of space at the former Gooding’s Supermarket, which is now part of the I-Drive Live project.

Unicorp also is in talks with several other nationally recognized retailers, including LongHorn Steakhouse, BJ’s Restaurant and Brew House, Starbucks and Wawa.