• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Disneyland or Universal Studios?

Any chance you can do both?

I've been to Disneyland hundreds of times - it never gets old; I've been to Knott's and SFMM quite a few times; and I've been to the Wild Animal Park, SD Zoo, and SeaWorld at least once each.

With that being said, I've basically gone to the 'major' parks in SoCal, but I've NEVER been to Universal Studios. I've never been enticed to go - until I read the TPR trip report from the West Coast trip a few years ago. For the price of admission ($74/year), I might head up there one of these days.

Price-wise, USH will be a better deal. If you were to tell someone that you visited the west coast, and went to USH over Disneyland, you'd be considered odd; it'd be like going to Florida and visiting Universal Studios over Disney World.

For me, personally, I avoid LA as much as possible (unless I pass through to get to SFMM). Thankfully, Disneyland is a ways away from LA..

You can easily do Universal in a day or less. If you can spend two days at Disneyland, get a 2-Day Park Hopper and do as much as you can there. The Little Mermaid and Goofy's Sky School should be open by then, and as mentioned, possibly Star Tours 2.0.

Eric

Are you and your friends into what either of those parks offer? Are you trying to stay close to Los Angeles?

Universal is a good place to visit if you want to go somewhere for your vacation. Disney is of course a destination in itself, but it comes with a price and hordes of people. I would honestly say a non enthusiast group of 30 year olds would appreciate Universal Studios more than Disney. While we all love our Disney parks, the idea of being around thousands of strollers and children and all that is NOT what 'normal' people look for in a vacation.

I'd say it depends on the following:

Time-If you only have one day for a park, pick Universal Studios. It can be done in about two-thirds of a day if you are there at opening. If you have two or three days, Disneyland may be a better option.

Crowds-Disneyland gets very crowded, so if you are determined to get on everything and only have one day, it may not be your best choice. Universal Studios can get crowded as well, but doesn't have as much to see.

Attractions-Disneyland has over forty attractions, mostly rides. There are very few rides at the park that could be classified as thrill rides. If you go to Disney California Adventure as well, you add about twenty more rides, some of which are thrill rides. Universal Studios only has about ten attractions, and most of them are shows.

Price-Disneyland is more expensive, but better value. Universal Studios is slightly cheaper than Disneyland, but doesn't have as much to offer. In my opinion, both are overpriced, but Universal Studios is more overpriced.

I'd recommend talking with your friends about all of these factors and then deciding which you want to go to. Both are really good parks, but they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I would probably pick Disneyland unless I only had one day, but it is up to you.

Disneyland, after June 3rd. Star Tours 2, Little Mermaid, and the new parade all up and running. I would look for AP blockout days for DL though, much better chance of crowd management on those days.