TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Bay Area Weekend - SFDK/CGA

Are you interested in a Bay Area event - Aug 6th & 7th?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a Bay Area event - Aug 6th & 7th?

• Yes

^^^^^

I see what you mean. But this mostly goes for just SFDK. I find that park to really be more a playground/carnival than a theme park. It dosen't do me much good.

CGA on the other hand is a nice park in a nice location and just feels more like a complete park. Sure, the coaster collection may be lacking (although it's better than most people say it is) but the overall park is nice. It actually has a charm that I really enjoy and the crowds just seem a lot nicer as well as the overall atmosphere. At CGA, the employees are always nice, friendly, and often. This really adds to the park expireance in my opinion.

Just my two cents.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^

I see what you mean. But this mostly goes for just SFDK. I find that park to really be more a playground/carnival than a theme park. It dosen't do me much good.

CGA on the other hand is a nice park in a nice location and just feels more like a complete park. Sure, the coaster collection may be lacking (although it's better than most people say it is) but the overall park is nice. It actually has a charm that I really enjoy and the crowds just seem a lot nicer as well as the overall atmosphere. At CGA, the employees are always nice, friendly, and often. This really adds to the park expireance in my opinion.

Just my two cents.

Really? From my experience it's the complete opposite. I'm a little biased towards SFDK, but the crowds are better (the CGA crowds seem more like boisterous teenagers) and the coasters are smoother and more fun. Also there are a lot more things to do for people who don't like rides or for young kids who aren't tall enough to ride. It has it's faults, but I was not impressed with CGA at all when I went there several years back. And it doesn't seem like it's made any improvements since then.

^^^^^

Just my two cents.

Really? From my experience it's the complete opposite. I'm a little biased towards SFDK, but the crowds are better (the CGA crowds seem more like boisterous teenagers) and the coasters are smoother and more fun. Also there are a lot more things to do for people who don't like rides or for young kids who aren't tall enough to ride. It has it's faults, but I was not impressed with CGA at all when I went there several years back. And it doesn't seem like it's made any improvements since then.

That's honestly my opinion and what I've noticed. The crowd at SFDK seems more "ghetto" to me. That's probably because it's in Vallejo, which is one of the most unsafe cities in the Bay Area. Santa Clara is a bit more upscale. Both parks can have rowdy teenagers in the park but these days, that's pretty much unavoidable in all theme parks. I just like CGA more. But to each his/her own.

• 3 weeks later...

Dang I'm picking up my parents at the San Jose Airport the night of August 4th, if only this event was 3 days earlier. Still I might drive back up to the bay to go either CGA or SFDK (maybe both) if the event is affordable enough. ERT on some of the main rides would make it worth it. I could crash at my sister's place in Berkeley if her roommate hasn't moved in yet. I would have to ask my sister if she wants to go (or can go) as she might be busy with school work (she's taking a summer class at Cal). She doesn't have much spending $$ so either I or my parents would have to pay for her ticket. Hmm pricing please.

And a random question...why does it seem that the Bay Area parks seem to be in this non-existent black hole as far as member interest goes in general? I know we don't have the craziest rides but we do definitely have some worthy gems here (like Flight Deck, Medusa, and V2)

It just doesn't seem like there are a lot of us member from this area. I know a few members in Nor. Cal. but we're really spread out. A lot of people in Nor. Cal. who like roller coasters and theme parks are not enthusiasts and would not even consider being a member on an internet forum.

I hope this Bay Area event happens. Bay Area Bash was so much fun last year.

This is just it. And I'm not sure if it comes from a general lack of interest in parks in that region, or if it's because the last "signature" coaster each of the big NorCal parks got was well over 10 years ago, I'm just not sure.

All I know is that our Bay Area events have been the least attended events of any region we've been to. While it's easy for us to get 200 - 400 people in So Cal, the east coast, mid-west, etc, it's been a struggle to get 100 people to the Bay Area parks.

I really do want this event to happen this year, and I think it absolutely will. I have already prepared the parks with a lower attendance figure, and they say it's "ok", as they'd rather have a smaller TPR event than none at all.

Which I hope you guys all agree!

--Robb

I don't think its the lack of enthusiasts, I just think Bay Area theme parks leave a lot to be desired (at least compared to SoCal). I live about halfway between the Bay Area and the LA area and 19 times out of 20 I'll venture to LA for a theme park. They have better thrill parks, theme parks, family parks, a studios park, and the world's most famous (I said most famous, NOT most visited) theme park. I'm not saying SKDK and CGA are bad parks - they're not - they're just very "average" regional parks. It would help if Bay Area parks got a new major coaster that was worth driving up for.

SFDK does look like its improving by adding a killer whale show, spinning coaster, and a sky swing ride in the past few years but hopefully they will add a new unique coaster soon enough (if it means getting rid of Kong and/or Boomerang that's fine with me) and keep investing in their park. The last time I went to SFDK was in 2005 when it was SF Marine World. While I had fun and they are a couple of standout rides like Medusa and V2, the park does seem to have a carnival feel to it in the front and a zoo feel in the back and they are not blended very well together. The rides nor the animals are not evenly distributed throughout the park. I understand that the coaster noises may disturb the animals but can we have one coaster (or E ticket ride) in the back of the park. I would love to see a coaster going over the water of that lake that is next to the park. SFDK does have potential.

CGA needs to desperately add SOMETHING (assuming that its going to stay open). CGA does have a good mix of flat rides and a better park layout and distribution of rides then SFDK, but is notorious for taking out a unique coaster a few years after putting it in (Stealth and Invertigo). This may burn Bay Area locals when they see their favorite (or 2nd fav) ride gone the next time the come visit. Unfortunately I never got to ride Stealth as it was already gone when I first visited PGA in 2004. I think putting Boomerang Bay in the park was a bad idea as its closed half the time (or more), it takes up a lot of space on CGA's small plot of land, and though San Jose has some hot days, it has a much milder climate than So Cal or most of the country (besides San Jose has Raging Waters already). Most of the coasters at CGA are mediocre (exceptions being Top Gun and Demon IMO). Vortex is waay too short and gimmicky (I am spoiled after riding Riddler's Revenge) and Grizzly is the most boring wooden coaster I have ever been on. I enjoyed Invertigo and it was unique as it was the only face-to-face inverted boomerang in CA, but now its gone . At least CGA still has a skyride though it opens late and closes early. CGA looks like it might be the worst Cedar Fair park (or at least the worst former Paramount one) but even when it was Paramount all the other Paramount Parks seemed waaay better. If CGA was at the Kings Island or Kings Dominion level or even Carowinds level I think a lot more Bay Area and NorCal people be excited about going to this park. My last visit to PGA in 2007 was fun and I enjoyed the new Survivor disko spinning ride, but Boomerang Bay was closed (it was a weekday in August) and if it was open it would of given us substantially more to do, but we didn't want to come on a crowded weekend just because Boomerang Bay would be open. I have yet been to CGA when Boomerang Bay is open. I friend of my summed up CGA right as a "Magic Mountain Jr". Why go to CGA when I can drive to SFMM in roughly the same amount of time (3 to 3.5 hrs) and ride the real thing.

Santa Cruz Boardwalk is a cool little seaside park with a great classic woodie and a great beach setting (although it is cold there a lot) but could use some major reinvestment and a new coaster. Take away this park from the beach though and its very "blah" - the beach setting is what makes it unique. I wish this park would become like the Blackpool Pleasure Beach of CA (even on a smaller scale) but don't how much space they have and how hard the Santa Cruz government is to work with. Still please add something thrilling and unique.

^I mostly agree with you, but you have to consider one thing about CGA. Paramount didn't care for it not too long after it opened as it quickly became a "just there" for them. They could've made it better, but they took out two great (or at least I hear they were great) coasters. Today, the park really has nothing too great aside from their standout coaster that is Flight Deck (I'm talking strictly about coasters here). CGA is a very charming park, it has a lot of flat rides, a good selection of water rides, a water park that's free with admission, and some shows to round out your day. Plus, it's just a clean and safe park in general with great landscaping and lots of trees (something SFDK lacks). It's a great park minus the coaster line up, not many people realize that. They just need a coaster soon and with Kinzel (the one who wanted this park gone as soon as they bought it) leaving, there's much more potential for the park. This could create some pretty good competiton for the local parks (which are both very different). So I think CGA has potential to be a great park, it's just up to the soon-to-be-new execs at Cedar Fair.

YES!

If its anything like the bash events I've read about, even on a smaller scale, I would go. I've always wanted to attend the WCB but was never able to and this sounds like it could be fun. Plus, CGA is my home park only about 10 minutes away and SFDK, which I also like to visit, is only a couple hours drive so it would be easy for me to get there.

For those of you from out of town when visiting CGA, as said the Avatar hotel is a good place to stay. Its right across the street from the park basically walking distance, and there is an IHOP attatched to it!

Btw, when is the next WCB, maybe I will be able to go this time.

Not until next year. It's always held in March and should be the weekend of the 18th and 19th next year. WCB this year was announced a good two months before, so I'd assume around this coming January is when they'd announce the next one. Hope you can go. It's tons of fun!

I don't think its the lack of enthusiasts, I just think Bay Area theme parks leave a lot to be desired (at least compared to SoCal). I live about halfway between the Bay Area and the LA area and 19 times out of 20 I'll venture to LA for a theme park. They have better thrill parks, theme parks, family parks, a studios park, and the world's most famous (I said most famous, NOT most visited) theme park. I'm not saying SKDK and CGA are bad parks - they're not - they're just very "average" regional parks. It would help if Bay Area parks got a new major coaster that was worth driving up for.

I agree with you. If I lived further south I probably wouldn't go to these parks as much as I have. At least not because of the coasters. SFDK is a good park for non-coaster/ride-enthusiasts (such as people too old or too young for the rides) but it's just mediocre in the coaster sense. It's been a long time since either park had any great new coasters, and with CGA taking some of the best ones out, it's not getting any better. One problem I've seen with both parks is the lack of space to put new coasters. SFDK has very little space to add significant new rides and would have to buy new land and rework the entrance of the park to do this. I don't know CGA well enough to know how easy it would be, but I assume they have the same problem. SFDK also has a really insanely annoying height restriction of 150 feet (the height of Medusa, Sky Screamer, and V2). V2 used to be 180 feet until the county caught wind of it and ordered them to take it down to 150. I've never really known why they can't make anything higher (I don't know of any nearby airports), but this poses a significant threat to any coaster development.

SFDK does look like its improving by adding a killer whale show, ....the park does seem to have a carnival feel to it in the front and a zoo feel in the back and they are not blended very well together. The rides nor the animals are not evenly distributed throughout the park. I understand that the coaster noises may disturb the animals but can we have one coaster (or E ticket ride) in the back of the park. I would love to see a coaster going over the water of that lake that is next to the park. SFDK does have potential.

SFDK had the animals and the whales years before they had any rides. SFDK (Six Flags Marine World prior) used to be just Marine World before that... and Marine World Africa USA even before that. MWAUSA used to be in Redwood City before moving to Vallejo. They had killer whales in Redwood City and still had them until 2001. The reason the whale show may seem new is because Yaka (the whale) died around '97 and Vigga was the only whale until she died in 2001. They got Shouka a few years later. I visited the park only once in the few years that they didn't have any whales and it was the saddest thing ever to see this guy doing a diving show in the whale stadium with no whales. Ignoring the roller coaster aspect, they really should update their whale tanks and many people have been hoping for years that they'd get another whale. Orcas are pack animals (similar to dogs) and don't do very well alone. SFDK moved Merlin the dolphin into the whale tanks where he performs with Shouka, but if you visit the viewing tanks Shouka looks bored and lonely as the sole whale swimming around. I've heard talk about wanting to artificially-inseminate Shouka, but it's quite costly. I keep thinking that they might just do it one of these days, but it's probably more cost-effective to get new rides or exhibits. Anyway... digression there...

and Grizzly is the most boring wooden coaster I have ever been on.

LOL... it got dead last on that wooden roller coaster poll several years in a row.

I enjoyed Invertigo and it was unique as it was the only face-to-face inverted boomerang in CA, but now its gone . At least CGA still has a skyride though it opens late and closes early. CGA looks like it might be the worst Cedar Fair park (or at least the worst former Paramount one) but even when it was Paramount all the other Paramount Parks seemed waaay better. If CGA was at the Kings Island or Kings Dominion level or even Carowinds level I think a lot more Bay Area and NorCal people be excited about going to this park.

I really liked Invertigo too and was disappointed to hear that it got taken out. I haven't been to that many Cedar Fair parks but I think I'd have to agree that CGA is one of the worst. However, the park has a severe disadvantage to other parks like Cedar Fair. The one time I visited this park I was struck by how central the park was in the city. It really seemed like it was right smack in the middle of town amongst office buildings. There has been significant complaints from these offices about the park's attempts to add new coasters; and like I said before, I'm not sure how much room there would be too add a lot more. My biggest hope at this point is that the park has enough of a turnaround that it won't get sold and made into a football stadium.

^I mostly agree with you, but you have to consider one thing about CGA. Paramount didn't care for it not too long after it opened as it quickly became a "just there" for them. They could've made it better, but they took out two great (or at least I hear they were great) coasters. Today, the park really has nothing too great aside from their standout coaster that is Flight Deck (I'm talking strictly about coasters here). CGA is a very charming park, it has a lot of flat rides, a good selection of water rides, a water park that's free with admission, and some shows to round out your day. Plus, it's just a clean and safe park in general with great landscaping and lots of trees (something SFDK lacks). It's a great park minus the coaster line up, not many people realize that. They just need a coaster soon and with Kinzel (the one who wanted this park gone as soon as they bought it) leaving, there's much more potential for the park. This could create some pretty good competiton for the local parks (which are both very different). So I think CGA has potential to be a great park, it's just up to the soon-to-be-new execs at Cedar Fair.

You're right. I've been to CGA twice, once as a Paramount park and once as a Cedar Fair park and it wasn't any worse/different under CF. Paramount did all the damage by getting rid of Stealth and letting the park just sit there. CGA does have potential, and with the former Disney executive Ouimet becoming CEO of Cedar Fair, that potential has a better chance of being realized.

I agree with you. If I lived further south I probably wouldn't go to these parks as much as I have. At least not because of the coasters. SFDK is a good park for non-coaster/ride-enthusiasts (such as people too old or too young for the rides) but it's just mediocre in the coaster sense. It's been a long time since either park had any great new coasters, and with CGA taking some of the best ones out, it's not getting any better. One problem I've seen with both parks is the lack of space to put new coasters. SFDK has very little space to add significant new rides and would have to buy new land and rework the entrance of the park to do this. I don't know CGA well enough to know how easy it would be, but I assume they have the same problem. SFDK also has a really insanely annoying height restriction of 150 feet (the height of Medusa, Sky Screamer, and V2). V2 used to be 180 feet until the county caught wind of it and ordered them to take it down to 150. I've never really known why they can't make anything higher (I don't know of any nearby airports), but this poses a significant threat to any coaster development.

I wasn't aware of the height restrictions in Vallejo. San Diego and many other cities also have height restrictions (that's why you don't see any big coasters at their Sea World vs Sea World Orlando). A lot of cities are nit-picky with their height restrictions (beautification, blocking the view, scenery, etc. - it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with safety or airports) and that is fine if they don't have amusement/theme parks; but if they do have parks they should accommodate their biggest tourist attraction/draw to their city. These height restrictions help prevent these attractions from drawing more people to their city where they will spend their money. Medusa and V2 still manage to be exciting rides even with their height restrictions - maybe SFDK can become creative and built rides that go underground to make up for the height restriction like what Alton Towers in the UK does (one can only hope ).

SFDK does look like its improving by adding a killer whale show, ....the park does seem to have a carnival feel to it in the front and a zoo feel in the back and they are not blended very well together. The rides nor the animals are not evenly distributed throughout the park. I understand that the coaster noises may disturb the animals but can we have one coaster (or E ticket ride) in the back of the park. I would love to see a coaster going over the water of that lake that is next to the park. SFDK does have potential.

SFDK had the animals and the whales years before they had any rides. SFDK (Six Flags Marine World prior) used to be just Marine World before that... and Marine World Africa USA even before that. MWAUSA used to be in Redwood City before moving to Vallejo. They had killer whales in Redwood City and still had them until 2001. The reason the whale show may seem new is because Yaka (the whale) died around '97 and Vigga was the only whale until she died in 2001. They got Shouka a few years later. I visited the park only once in the few years that they didn't have any whales and it was the saddest thing ever to see this guy doing a diving show in the whale stadium with no whales. Ignoring the roller coaster aspect, they really should update their whale tanks and many people have been hoping for years that they'd get another whale. Orcas are pack animals (similar to dogs) and don't do very well alone. SFDK moved Merlin the dolphin into the whale tanks where he performs with Shouka, but if you visit the viewing tanks Shouka looks bored and lonely as the sole whale swimming around. I've heard talk about wanting to artificially-inseminate Shouka, but it's quite costly. I keep thinking that they might just do it one of these days, but it's probably more cost-effective to get new rides or exhibits. Anyway... digression there...

I wasn't aware of that they used to have whales and they died - though I knew it was called MWAUSA before and was primarily a zoo/marine park. I haven't been SFDK until it was owned by Six Flags (I've been there in 2004 and 2005). A buddy of mine and I had season passes to SFMM in 2004 and so that was our reason for visiting this place as we'd only have to pay for gas and parking. We had fun; the crowds were light-medium, Medusa was fun (but very similar to Scream! at SFMM), Roar was pretty good, Kong was rough and made me wish I was on Batman at SFMM (B&M>Vekoma), Zonga was horrible, V2 was closed , the Stargate 3D ride/show in the Dino themed theater was cheesy (and made Spongebob 3D at CGA look good), feeding the lorikeets were fun, and the water ski show on the lake was fun - we both decided this was more of a family park than a thrill park. My SFMM season pass included an awesome coupon booklet with several $15 bring a friend coupons to Marine World so I came back here in October with my sister and my parents and got to ride the water splashdown ride, Roar, V2 , and Kong before the power went out . While were waiting in line for Medusa 15 minutes, the power went out. I guess there must have been a big power outage in the area because 15 minutes later they announced the park would be closing for the day (only 2 1/2 hrs after opening). They gave return vouchers to those that asked (with proof of ticket) and gave us 3 (though not for me because I had a season pass) which were good until the end of the 2005 season. My dad was pretty ticked off about having to drive 4 hrs to get there and only being there for 2 hrs. My dad gave me his voucher for the following year as he didn't care about returning to this park and my mom, sister, and I had a much better time the following year. We saw a dolphin show in killer whale stadium and Shouka was in a tank but wasn't doing shows yet as she was being trained. All the major rides except for Zonga and the 3D Motion Theater were open but I told my mom and sis "you're not missing anything". We had fun but decided that Sea World San Diego was a much better park for animals and shows and SFMM was a much better park for rides. I will have to visit SFDK in the near future to see the Shouka show and ride the Tony Hawk spinning coaster and the Star Flyer. Hopefully SFDK can get another killer whale in the future, that would help Shouka.

and Grizzly is the most boring wooden coaster I have ever been on.

LOL... it got dead last on that wooden roller coaster poll several years in a row.

Tear down that ride and put something else in its place, ANYTHING. That ride is wasting valuable space at CGA. Even Psyclone at SFMM was better and it got second to last on that poll. I would like to see a bigger coaster utilizing the Grizzly and former Invertigo space being connected by a tunnel or bridge high above the walkway (one can only hope ).

I enjoyed Invertigo and it was unique as it was the only face-to-face inverted boomerang in CA, but now its gone . At least CGA still has a skyride though it opens late and closes early. CGA looks like it might be the worst Cedar Fair park (or at least the worst former Paramount one) but even when it was Paramount all the other Paramount Parks seemed waaay better. If CGA was at the Kings Island or Kings Dominion level or even Carowinds level I think a lot more Bay Area and NorCal people be excited about going to this park.

I really liked Invertigo too and was disappointed to hear that it got taken out. I haven't been to that many Cedar Fair parks but I think I'd have to agree that CGA is one of the worst. However, the park has a severe disadvantage to other parks like Cedar Fair. The one time I visited this park I was struck by how central the park was in the city. It really seemed like it was right smack in the middle of town amongst office buildings. There has been significant complaints from these offices about the park's attempts to add new coasters; and like I said before, I'm not sure how much room there would be too add a lot more. My biggest hope at this point is that the park has enough of a turnaround that it won't get sold and made into a football stadium.

I know that CGA doesn't have very much space and doesn't have a city that's very supportive of its park. The 49ers moving to Santa Clara would bring lots of $$ and attention to the city and that's what Santa Clara wants. I hope the 49ers stay in SF as their my NFL team and I like the city of SF - besides could they still be called San Francisco 49ers if their in Santa Clara or would they be called Bay Area 49ers or California 49ers (no is going to call them Santa Clara 49ers lol. I think the best thing CGA can do is build a multi-level parking structure in what parking area they will have left - make do with the limited space just like USH and Disneyland.

See you there

And yeah, thanks for setting this up guys.

EDIT: do you think you could do the flash pass thing like at Texas giant bash? (I think I have the name a bit off). Because, my.mom and I would probably get flash passes, and maybe some other members would get some too, and buying in bulk is cheaper.

Disregard below, it's all too expensive for me right now. Maybe next year.

So yeah I still definitely want to do this, but on a shoestring budget if possible. Anyone coming from way out like me and want to split a hotel or a car? Any tips at all on trying to save money here would be welcomed.

Edited by JamminJ

Finally, after five years of being on this website and hoping to meet all of you, there's a way for me to go to one of these events! I only live an hour away from Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, and I could probably talk my dad into going as wel--

Wait, August 6th? *hurriedly checks calendar*

...That's the day I come back from Hume Lake. I can't go. Ah well, there's always next time, right?