TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Bay Area Weekend - SFDK/CGA

Are you interested in a Bay Area event - Aug 6th & 7th?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a Bay Area event - Aug 6th & 7th?

• Yes

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would encourage everyone to contact friends and family, that may not be members of TPR, to gauge their interest as well. I would really like to see this event happen. SFDK the past 2 years, and CGA last year, made BAB a very nice event for us. Particularly with the animal ERT at SFDK (assuming that would still be offered), this event should appeal to even those that aren't roller coaster nuts.

I would encourage everyone to contact friends and family, that may not be members of TPR, to gauge their interest as well. I would really like to see this event happen. SFDK the past 2 years, and CGA last year, made BAB a very nice event for us. Particularly with the animal ERT at SFDK (assuming that would still be offered), this event should appeal to even those that aren't roller coaster nuts.

I've actually got my coworker interested in checking this out, she was actually at this thread ready to vote until she asked me why it won't let her. I told her that she needs to register and it's free to do so. But it's not like it's that hard to become a TPR member, right? As far as for me, I still totally want to do this, hoping a Tony Hawk...I mean Big Spin Water Challenge will make a return, looks like insane fun! I would take my cousin along who loves amusement parks, she usually goes with me to CGA on a regular basis.

Back in 2009 when TPR was at CGA, I was also there at the park but sadly not part of the event. I did however meet a couple members during my visit. When I walked by the picnic area and saw the TPR sign on there, I totally felt 'left out.' So this time, I'm serious about wanting to check this out. Yes, I'm aware it's not going to be a full blown event but it should still be completely awesome.

And a random question...why does it seem that the Bay Area parks seem to be in this non-existent black hole as far as member interest goes in general? I know we don't have the craziest rides but we do definitely have some worthy gems here (like Flight Deck, Medusa, and V2)

And a random question...why does it seem that the Bay Area parks seem to be in this non-existent black hole as far as member interest goes in general? I know we don't have the craziest rides but we do definitely have some worthy gems here (like Flight Deck, Medusa, and V2)

It just doesn't seem like there are a lot of us member from this area. I know a few members in Nor. Cal. but we're really spread out. A lot of people in Nor. Cal. who like roller coasters and theme parks are not enthusiasts and would not even consider being a member on an internet forum.

I hope this Bay Area event happens. Bay Area Bash was so much fun last year.

It just doesn't seem like there are a lot of us member from this area. I know a few members in Nor. Cal. but we're really spread out. A lot of people in Nor. Cal. who like roller coasters and theme parks are not enthusiasts and would not even consider being a member on an internet forum.

This is just it. And I'm not sure if it comes from a general lack of interest in parks in that region, or if it's because the last "signature" coaster each of the big NorCal parks got was well over 10 years ago, I'm just not sure.

All I know is that our Bay Area events have been the least attended events of any region we've been to. While it's easy for us to get 200 - 400 people in So Cal, the east coast, mid-west, etc, it's been a struggle to get 100 people to the Bay Area parks.

I really do want this event to happen this year, and I think it absolutely will. I have already prepared the parks with a lower attendance figure, and they say it's "ok", as they'd rather have a smaller TPR event than none at all.

Which I hope you guys all agree!

--Robb

I really do want this event to happen this year, and I think it absolutely will. I have already prepared the parks with a lower attendance figure, and they say it's "ok", as they'd rather have a smaller TPR event than none at all.

I absolutely agree that a smaller event would definitely be better than no event at all. I'm convinced that both parks can make it a far better visit for the attendees than what we might have on a "normal" day. You're also onto something with neither park getting a signature coaster in over a decade. I guess it can almost be justified in the case of DK, since their attendance still seems to do pretty well. As far as CGA, I've given up on trying to make sense of whatever it is they're doing. That won't stop me from enjoying what's still left of the park though, particularly Top Flight Gun Deck. Just let me know when this event is a for-sure deal and I'll sign up!

^I believe Robb is probably still in the process of working out all of the logistics for the event, including pricing and timing and whatnot.

On the plus side, I got my coworker to sign up for TPR today. Maybe I'll get one of the other ones at work to check this out too (and spread the love of TPR!)

There would be at least three of my family who would defiantly do the Discovery Kingdom part. Great America is closer to home but my daughter just got tired of going there with nothing new for her to do. We might do both days but we have been making a weekend getaway in Napa for the previous events and had a great time.

I might be able to do this event (more interested in the SFDK part). As my username suggests, am located in SoCal, but have a house in Mill Valley. We might be up in that area during that time for my birthday, so I'll see if I can join in.

The Water Challenge looks so amazingly epic! I hope it returns this year! Also, I believe last year there was EAT (Event Animal Time), do you think that would return this year, along with ERT?

Hope I Can Make it!

I still want to attend. But I want at least 2 hours of ERT on cobra for credit whoring. (Joking)

But seriously, ERT on Roar/Medusa would be sweet. Doesn't have to be at the same time either since I assume the event will be small. Also I at least hope there will be the water cup challenge on Big Spin, the photos from that looked really fun.

• 2 weeks later...

^Yeah, but honestly, the park needs it. No bay area park has receieved a "big" coaster in the past 10 years. I really hope I can somehow be able to attend this event, considering the random removal of Invertigo. CF claims they will replace the ride, but how can you possibly fit a nice coaster into that space . (Unless you are talking a ZacSpin)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly I've been to both parks several times this year. CGA doesn't even resemble a Cedar Fair Park and I would suggest skipping it. SFDK however with Dale Katzel as the new Park Pres. things are a changing and this park is really looking up.

CGA is about a 1or 2 hour visit and then (what are we gonna do now?)

I'd also suggest the courtyard across the street for lodging - 5 minute walk to your first ride.

This is just it. And I'm not sure if it comes from a general lack of interest in parks in that region, or if it's because the last "signature" coaster each of the big NorCal parks got was well over 10 years ago, I'm just not sure.

All I know is that our Bay Area events have been the least attended events of any region we've been to. While it's easy for us to get 200 - 400 people in So Cal, the east coast, mid-west, etc, it's been a struggle to get 100 people to the Bay Area parks.

--Robb

Robb, it's not lack of interest - it's hard to become an enthusiast when the parks operations over the last 8 years or so have made this more of a day at the local playground than a great Theme Park experience. We have had years of blah blah ...and unlike some parks the locals that live down the street support the season passes as a getaway from a few blocks away.

The nor-cal parks are "stand in line - ride - stand in line again" and you can still see the parking places printed on the ground of the attraction. There isn't an ounce of "THEME" in any no cal park. It really gets old - This is what happens when the true heart of the parks (The people of this forum for example) allow them to dumb down these parks and make it like a traveling carnival that stops by for the weekend.

If you do decide to come up here I will not only be there I'd help organize it - however, I'd also like a sit down with park management as a piece of this event. Let's face it - the members of this board have some great ideas - it can't be all about ERT, it's a huge opportunity to built better parks with better experiences or these places will go away.

• 4 weeks later...

--Robb

I think part of it is the geography of NorCal. The population is a lot more spread out than SoCal. I'd say most people in SoCal live an hour or two away from a major park. I live 5 hours away from SFDK and further from CGA. It takes major planning and money for my family to get to a park. There's the driving, at least one night in a motel, and food costs for that time. Even with a season pass, it costs several hundred dollars extra for us to go.

I definitely am interested in going, but it depends on whether I can come up with the money to go. I'd be more likely to go to SFDK because I'm hoping to try and get to SFMM sometime this year to ride Green Lantern and I could get a season pass to go to both. I also suck at driving long-distances by myself (anywhere over 2 hours of driving), so I probably couldn't go unless I had someone to ride-share with.