TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Your favorite coaster tunnel

I am so happy to be posting, I've been a LONG time daily lurker (years)....I've decided to finally jump in and share my roller coaster thoughts....

I am a HUGE fan of tunnels. It started as a little kid watching my Lionel train going into the darkness then back out the other side. I've always loved tunnels of any type.

To me, a great tunnel sets one roller coaster apart from other similar models.

Here are my favorite tunnels......

1. The helix on Loch Ness. It's so long it's impossible to keep your bearings of when your about to exit.

2. Beast on the helix (and on the flats).

3. Just absolutely love the Phoenix pre lift tunnel.

4. First drop on Tennessee Tornado...just a really cool and different tunnel.

5. The triple down on Voyage.

6. The old snake mouth on Starliner when at Miracle beach.

My home park, SFOG, BLOWS in regards to tunnels. Superman has a joke of one, Mindbender has one almost by accident, and Dahlonega Mine Train has a wonderful one. One good tunnels for 10 plus coasters...not good.

Now I see tunnels as completely different from inside portions, covered portions, etc.

Anyone else a tunnel fan....what are your favorites?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beast does have awesome tunnels.

Phoenix's pre-lift tunnel also is pretty cool.

The Voyage's triple down tunnel is amazing.

Maverick's tunnel is cool because of the launch and when it used to have lights.

So yeah, I pretty much agree with you on all of those. Tunnels are pretty awesome.

Agreed, Goliath, nice head/hand chopper at 85mph. Would also have to throw in the Giant Dipper's (SCBB) tunnel. It took me the longest time to figure out how the turns went, and found out they're actually quite sharp. Also, as simple as it is, I'd have to throw in the Demon's (CGA) tunnel (though I'm sure it was better when it lit up). After doing 2 back-to-back loops, going through the tunnel is kind of disorienting and I kind of feel like the train's slowly curling upward. I sure wish they put the whole light package back in, even if they used LEDs so nobody could shatter a bunch of glass bulbs. I'm sure SFGAm's Demon's tunnel is pretty sweet as it still lights up.

You can't really do any better than Hades, and Beast would be up there for me as well. Another one that I enjoy but you probably won't find on many tunnel lists is Raging Bull's off the first drop. Great ending to what I think is the best drop on a steel coaster. It's a shame the rest of the ride is at it is, but thats another story.

My favorites:

-Maverick has an awesome tunnel and if you're not ready for it it will take you by surprise!

- The Hulk... AWESOME tunnel underwater!

- Bizarro: SFNE has a good headchopper and is filled to the brim with mist

there are many more, but I can't think of any truly awesome ones I've experienced rn.

I love the tunnel on Loch Ness Monster. I'll also agree on the SFoG Mine Train. That one is just plain wrong! Voyage's triple-down in the tunnel is amazing and tunnels don't get any freakier than on Hades (wish the rest of the ride could compare with the awesomeness that is the underground portion.) The coaster at Rye Playland has a pretty cool tunnel as well. Kind of reminds me of the old Starliner tunnel.

David

Big Thunder Mountain(Disneyland)... All right, so we all know you drop out of a tunnel, but the next tunnel is an awesome airtime filled surprise if you sit in the "death row... as some people refer to it" aka row 1. There are coyotes above the tunnel, and you drop down, and its a decent angle, but when you come back up the hill a second later it is also a decesnt angle, so your legs get thrown into the safety bar on the break run. Maybe my favorite part of the ride, but it can only be experienced in the front. Another awesome 1 on that ride is the helix tunnel.

Goliath @ SFMM is awesome.

Nessie is awesome.

I like the tunnels on Apocalypse quite a bit, despite not adding too much to the ride.

I'd like to say that the ride with the best tunnel usage I have ever been on is matterhorn. Its in the same level of thrills as Thunder, obviously, but you just zip in and out of what seems like dozens and dozens of tunnels. I like how it uses the tunnels so much so that this may actually be my all time favorite night ride, cause it gets really dark at points, also there are the unexpected and kinda random points where you either race the car on the other side, and it is always surprising as they come out of the darkness. Plus it helps that the theming around the mountain as well as in the tunnels is all pretty damn awesome!

The Dragon on Dragon Coaster.

Millennium Force because you are going so fast.

I'm glad someone said Raging Bull, and yes that drop is amazing, especially back row.

I've always been a fan of Wolverine Wildcat's tunnel.

Hades.

Bizarro.

Tennessee Tornado.

Maverick only when the mist was working. But now those misters are on StR.