TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Your favorite coaster tunnel

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hades, no questions asked. Both times through it's all twisted. You can't see, you can barely breathe (sort of like TTD's launch) and it's totally out of control.

Second would be Ripsaw at The Park at MOA. It's navigated slowly, but it's got great scenery.

Titan @ Six Flags Over Texas

I guess you can count Matterhorn at Disneyland tunnels...

Rattler* @ Six Flags Fiesta Texas (best loud tunnel)

Casey

*Yes, that video most of you have seen of the crazy wave rattler..it has a tunnel that goes into the canyon. Which is AWESOME!!

Ok I am glad no one has said this one yet but my all time favorite tunnel would be Wacky Soap Box Racers first tunnel at Knotts Berry Farm when they had the tunnel fogged up!! Especially riding the far right track because you get some serious surprise slamage when you hit that tight right turn in the fogged tunnel!! I remember my first ride on it and I was very disoriented when I first went into it with the fog. Didn't know what to expect and then SLAM hard turn to the right then popped out onto the lift hill before you knew what happened. Had to ride it a second time around to understand what was going on! But every ride after that I totally enjoyed that tunnel the best of all the parts on the ride! But later on down the years they took out the fog in the tunnel and all the fun trap doors that was along the track. Now it's all but a memory 2 Roller coasters later!

• 4 weeks later...

I have yet to get on Hades, but that looks to be one insane tunnel. The short tunnels they use to extend drops have never done much for me, but when there's a bit unexpected happening, that's when they're good.

My honors go out to DLP's Big Thunder Mountain and SCBB's Dipper.

-Rocky (who thought the Beast's helix tunnel felt more like the Eisenhower Tunnel, long and uneventful)

In my opinion what makes a great tunnel (effect) is that you don't really expect it during your first ride.

I would have to say Grizzly at PKD..because no matter how many times you ride it, you think your head/arms are going to be taken off..lol

S:ROS, SFNE, the second tunnel, because they still run the mist in that one. First time I ever rode it that second tunnel completely caught me by surprise, because I'd come down the steps...had I come down the ramp, I would've seen it.

Best at night...my last time riding it was at night in my pre-contact lens days, so with the mist fogging my glasses, the final bunny hops were all but invisible to me.

Some of these have been mentioned, some have not.

In no order:

- Grizzly at PKD, of course. This is such an underrated ride, and the tunnel really messes with you. I just wish I could've ridden it more.

- SheiKra. I haven't been on Oblivion, but I think SheiKra's second drop has a pretty badass tunnel. It has the ninety degrees. It has mist. You can't see a damned thing until the carosel. It's fun as hell.

- Goliath at SFMM. This being the tallest traditional coaster I've been on, that drop was just fantastic. Rest of the ride... it was okay. But you've got some serious speed going on in that tunnel.

- Kraken. I just love the way the second half of this ride tears in and out of the ground. Great head-choppin' for a B&M.

After this summer, I expect Hades to take a position here as well (in fact, I should probably just throw it up there anyway).

Voyage too (except for the part about me riding it this summer ).

• 1 month later...

I've been limited to the west coast so I would have to say GOliath has a great tunnel on the first drop I always put my hands down right there in fear of them getting hit.

Even though I havent been on Hades, that tunnel looks AWESOME, I hope to go there next summer.

DEMON TUNNEL AT SFGAm!!!

It has all these crazy freaky lights and goes

"whooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhblahhhh!" when you go through it.

Also the tunnel at the beginning of Gwazi at BGT - It gives first-time riders a VERY unexpected drop!

• 1 month later...