TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Importance of Theming

Does Themeing affect the ride?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Does Themeing affect the ride?

• Yes, theming makes rides way better than they actually are.
    • It helps but it can't mask a bad ride.
    • No, Scream>Bizarro everyday! It saves Money!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Nemesis at Alton Towers was set on a parking lot as opposed to in a deep hole, it would be a very different ride. The foot-choppers and near-death/misses add to the intensity of the ride so much.

Theming can be key to some rides, yet others get away with being massively impressively looking on their own.

I'm with the majority in that theming won't do much to alter the positioning of rides on either extreme (great rides remain great, crap rides remain crap), but it can work wonders in the middle ground coasters. One thing I always find interesting as well is how big an impact queue line theming impacts the entire ride's perceived theming. It seems like many rides (particularly coasters) have exquisitely-themed queues and stations, while the ride itself is generally free of enhanced theme, woods or plants notwithstanding (Dragon Challenge appears to be like that, though I haven't seen it myself).

I also think it's interesting to see how much the setting of a ride is taken into consideration regarding its overall perceived theme. For example, whether Hulk's prominent placement over the path and lake enhances the theming sensation, despite its lack of connection to the Hulk story. Or how Powder Keg's trip through the woods lacks artificial theming (in contrast to its intricate station area), but it's still viewed as a plus for the ride's theming (I'm aware of the ride's subtitle, yes). I suppose the TTD/KK theme debate could go here too, with KK's isolation enhancing its theme, and TTD's prominent setting adding to the feel of witnessing a spectacle from the midway and grandstands (much like real drag races), and not just a ride.

A good example of theme helping a ride's quality would be Disaster Transport.

I rode DT when its theme was still INCREDIBLY prominent, and it was incredible! No matter how quick the ride was, the desolate feel the ride had with the creepy que to the destroyed environment inside, it was REALLY effective. Definetly helped improve on the original "Bobsled" ride that DT was. The shed-look it has also makes it feel strange and mysterious, much like Space Mountain.

Even if the theming has been taken away the last few years, we still have DOMO to entertain us, and that my friends, is enough.

Doesn't KK have more theming than Dragster?

I'd say so. It has a whole land themed around it, a nice build-up to it (the ride is distanced from all the others), nice natural plants, a better theme than TTD (let's theme it after Dragsters! Cause, you know, both go fast, huh?), a nice soundtrack in the station and around the ride (Eye of the Tiger, get it?), and the ride used to have a really nice que (before the attack of the cable). TTD is nice and does have better restrainsts, but its theme is not as good in my eyes.

However, theming doesn't make a wild mouse great, and many great hypers do fine without any theme.

One thing I dislike about KK is the fact that you basically just sit there in silence before launch. The engine sounds and 'Christmas tree lights' on TTD are really cool, and definitely heighten the experience, albeit being just a small touch.

I'm still confused as to how a themed area of a park counts as theming for KK. Unless you're turned around looking at the tiger cage and trees behind the ride, I don't see how that's part of the theming for the actual ride itself. The actual ride itself has some foliage and I guess what you could call a "themed" station (but most coasters have some sort of theme for their station). The overall ride experience between TTD and KK isn't even remotely close. As I said before, CP isn't known for their theming elements on rides, but TTD is definitely a unique experience.

And a question for the poster that said drag racing was a bad theme for a coaster, how in the world does that even make any sense???? It takes off and accelerates the same way a dragster would, so how is that a bad theme? What does going 128 mph have to do with tigers and jungles??? At least TTD's theme makes sense. Sheesh.

Ok first of I'd like to but my two cents in about this KK & TTD debate.

First off, they both don't have great theme, but TTD does have a better theme based on what the ride is. Last time i checked, cheetahs run faster than tigers, but if you can show me a tiger that can run 128mph then I'll change argument. TTD's theme probably be better looking in a parking lot or a concrete piece of land.

Anyway, back to themes.

To answer the question, Themes do not make a ride better. It's like burning toast and putting sweet delicious jelly on it. Despite the fact on how great the jelly is, the toast is still gross & burnt.

Themeing can however make the experience ten times enjoyable, IF the ride itself is great.

But...taking a theme away from a great ride can make a ride less enjoyable, seem pointless, therefor making it a not great ride. Take mummy's revenge. This ride was built with it's theme. If you were to rip it down to it's bare minimum and un-enclose it, it would seem very pointless. Same with almost all of Disney rides.

Frankly i think all rides should have extreme queue line themeing. It gives you a sense of "this ride has a point" or will have a point. When I stand in line a cedar point,, any six flags park, or ride with little to no themeing, I do have a habit of thinking of themes for rides. I do think each ride should have a story or something to tell.

I know it's been mentioned before, but many dark rides could be considered roller coasters, and without their theming, they would just be really boring coasters. So yeah, theming has some importance, but also true, it can't fix a rough-as-hell SLC or woodie.

I think theming helps for smaller rides, and in some cases is important for smaller rides, but for bigger rides they aren't really that important. If I'm riding a Mine Train Coaster or a Dark Ride, theming is the whole point of the ride. With that being said, if a ride is bad, it's bad. It doesn't matter what the theming is.

With bigger rides it doesn't really matter that much. You can take a ride like the Raven, which is has a basic theme or a ride like Gemeni, which has no theme and still judge them the same. Even with rides like Flight of Fear, the theme is huge, but you still judge the bigger rides based on experience over anything else.

As for the Top Thrill Dragster vs Kingda Ka debate, I think that Top Thrill Dragster has the best theme. Sure, Kingda Ka probably has more theming, but it's not as good as Dragster's. When you start the ride on Dragster, you're listening to Ready To Go, being to told to keep your "arms down head back and hold on", and watching the Christmas Tree. Compare that to Kingda Ka, which is basically a push out of the station for the launch. That's what makes the difference. The Theming enhances the experience, it doesn't just add more to it.

Theming gets on my nerves sometimes. I just want the rides! I love a nice garden but characters and all that gets old in my opinion then more money has to be wasted to either fix it up or completely change the theme. I hate when rides have them pre ride movies or mini shows. Once you ride the ride more then once they get OLD. I am sooooo over Rockin Roller coasters, the twilight Zones, the dark knights, and many others.

As for theming in general, when done right it enhances the ride. However it doesn't matter how much theming you add to a coaster like Son of Beast, it's still going to be a horrible coaster.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on theming. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Does it help in some cases? Sure. Can it turn a crap ride into a great ride? Hell no! Case in point: the Dark Knight coasters.

^Edit: I'm not sure on what crazy planet KK would ever be considered as having more theming than TTD. Cedar Point might not go all out with theming on many attractions, but TTD has dragster-styled trains, grandstands, the Christmas tree lights both next to the launch track and on the tower, the soundtrack before you launch, the start/finish lines, and the speedometer. KK has.............?

Some trees.

Kindga Ka is NOT themed. Any coaster has trees, and it's just not as much of an unique experience like TTD. Whenever I hear engine revving in normal life I instantly become nervous and think about waiting to be launched 120mph. It's not spectacular theming, but it really makes it that much better.

But another good example would be Sheikra vs. Griffon.

Griffon is 5 feet taller, has an extra immelman, and has a higher capacity. But Sheikra has great theming, with all of it's tunnels and fog effects. Some people prefer Sheikra over Griffon just for that reason.

I'm still confused as to how a themed area of a park counts as theming for KK. Unless you're turned around looking at the tiger cage and trees behind the ride, I don't see how that's part of the theming for the actual ride itself. The actual ride itself has some foliage and I guess what you could call a "themed" station (but most coasters have some sort of theme for their station). The overall ride experience between TTD and KK isn't even remotely close. As I said before, CP isn't known for their theming elements on rides, but TTD is definitely a unique experience.

And a question for the poster that said drag racing was a bad theme for a coaster, how in the world does that even make any sense???? It takes off and accelerates the same way a dragster would, so how is that a bad theme? What does going 128 mph have to do with tigers and jungles??? At least TTD's theme makes sense. Sheesh.

Isn't it obvious what KK's theme is?

And a question for the poster that said drag racing was a bad theme for a coaster, how in the world does that even make any sense????

Hey, there, the name is PsiRockin'.

When I said bad, in my mind I had meant original. To clarify, yeah, it is a nice theme, but doesn't do much in terms of origianlity. And the fact that the whole land is themed around KK makes the experience and the buildup walking to it nicer. I do like TTD>KK however, and the immediate view is a nicer with Lake Erie.

• 4 years later...

I think that theming can certainly be a good addition to any kind of ride, but it isn't necessary for me to enjoy the experience. On dark rides, theming is of high importance, but on most other ride types, it's a nice touch, but not a necessity. Just a matter of personal preference, but I'd rather an amazing parking lot coaster than ride something that's heavily themed but has a "meh" ride experience.

For me it's not as much theming as it is location. For example, comparing Millennium Force and Leviathan. I like Millennium better because of how it's lift is right by the water, the track is tucked in between trees and goes all throughout that area plus multiple tunnels. Leviathan is just an out and back parking lot coaster. However, if Leviathan and Millennium Force were both put in a field with no trees or anything, I would like Leviathan more just because of the ride it provides.

As someone interested in buildings and films in particular, I do enjoy theming.

BUT, I agree that it cannot mask a 'bad' ride. Obviously dark rides really do need theming, that's relatively obvious. Bad coasters can be improved with theming, but that doesn't make the track any better, merely distracts from it. Optimum situation is really good coasters with good theming.

I think the worst situation is not a lack of theming, but a lack of good aesthetics. Sure, theming is nice, but if no theming a ride can look great if it's well maintained, clean, in a pleasant landscape etc. The worst situation is when a coaster is in a nasty or boring landscape.

I think the worst situation is not a lack of theming, but a lack of good aesthetics. Sure, theming is nice, but if no theming a ride can look great if it's well maintained, clean, in a pleasant landscape etc. The worst situation is when a coaster is in a nasty or boring landscape.

Exactly. It's the difference between this . . .

. . . this.

In regards to Kinda Ka vs. Top Thrill Dragster, the difference in restraints seems to play a large role as to why many prefer Dragster.

As for theming in general, when done right it enhances the ride. However it doesn't matter how much theming you add to a coaster like Son of Beast, it's still going to be a horrible coaster.

Son of Beast was an amazing coaster with or without theming...

Good theming certainly can't save an uncomfortable ride like Canada's Flight Deck, but it certainly makes it better than the other terrible SLCs I've been on.

Themed rides can really increase the immersion factor. Disney level quality is outstanding, but even smaller theming jobs such as the Old Canobie area for the flume and Mine of Lost Souls, Story Land, or Santa's Village do a number. Cardboard cutouts don't do anything for me though (cough: Six Flags: cough).

As someone interested in buildings and films in particular, I do enjoy theming.

BUT, I agree that it cannot mask a 'bad' ride. Obviously dark rides really do need theming, that's relatively obvious. Bad coasters can be improved with theming, but that doesn't make the track any better, merely distracts from it. Optimum situation is really good coasters with good theming.

Agree. Naturally theming only helps but the location is crucial. I'm, thinking about most of Hersheypark's coasters which despite having little to no theming look really nice due to their location (great bear, skyrush, comet,...)

Best. Theming. Ever.

Perfect representation of a blue kola sleeping near a police dog directing carousel traffic around tyres.

Well, less so theming and more just 'junk places in grass'. Still love it though for reasons beyond my understanding.