TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb & Elissa's 2005 Europe Trip - Need some advice!

Thanks everyone! This is all really helpful!

As for Gardaland, we will be hitting it at night...Mirabilandia closes at 6 so we plan to go to Gardaland from 9pm till close one night, then go the next morning as well!

I'm definitely going to look into that Ferry from Liseberg area to the Bakken Area.

Also, closer to the date when we have everything finalized we will post our itinerary because we really want to meet and hang out with all of you European Coaster Enthusiasts! You'll be in our video next year!

Thanks again...keep the information (and we'll keep the questions!) coming!

Elissa "hey, I'm the responsible navigator!" Alvey

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, closer to the date when we have everything finalized we will post our itinerary because we really want to meet and hang out with all of you European Coaster Enthusiasts! You'll be in our video next year!

You can be sure, that you will meet many european coaster enthusiasts

I'm definitely going to look into that Ferry from Liseberg area to the Bakken Area.

It's not exactly from Göteborg to Klampenborg, where the two parks are situated, Helsingborg is a good bit south of Liseberg, though Helsingnør is very close to Bakken.

Heh, I'd really like to meet you some day, but I'm afraid I got cameraphobia... Or something... Uhhh... *runs off*

As for Gardaland, we will be hitting it at night...Mirabilandia closes at 6 so we plan to go to Gardaland from 9pm till close one night, then go the next morning as well!

Ah, glad you're going to stay there late.

These are the totally useless rides that don't add anything to the park apart from themeing;

-"The Spectacular 4D Adventure" - About as 4D as a cabbage. There was virtually no 3D imaging what-so-ever in the show I saw. They alternate shows between times of the day, and even though each ride takes in 100 people at a time, it's a very long wait sometimes.

-"The Temple of Abu Simbel" - A simple "sit down on a car and be taken through the ride" ride... It's boring, apart from when it stops on the lift-hill and you get a nice message in Italian over the loudspeakers about how this is just a technical hitch...

-"Tunga" - I never went on this, due to the fact it looks absolutely boring, although i'm sure you could find some dodgy animatronics to poke fun at!

-"Magic House" - It's a Vekoma Mad House. No more needs to be said on this matter. Apart from crap! (Although Hex has a lovely story, if you don't have to wait an hour for it...)

More Info: (If you can take any more)

The park offers some very concerning bag storage facilities. You just leave your bag on a peg outside the ride and pray it is still there when you get off. However the Italians are very nice and I had no problems in leaving my bag by the station, especially on the rapids.

Rides like "Space Vertigo" the drop tower have turnstyles before it where you wait to enter the ride, they are programmed to only let in the amount that you can get on the ride and saves a need for anyone to be at the entrance to let you through. (There's a long sequence before-hand telling you a story in Italian about an Alien Invasion, needless to say it's completely useless for foreigners)

Just another phunky feature for Gardaland to boast.

A little insight into Fuga-

Fuga de Atlantide is a ride where no bags can be taken on whatsoever... (I think).. Due to the open cars it's incredibly easy for them to fall out. It's also very easy for you to fall out. So I do recommend you make the seatbelt tight, ad not the one-click equivalent. (Yes you only get a seatbelt... so safe..) The airtime over the drops was very unexpected for me. Due to the chain lift's on both hills, (very odd features) you do pick up alot of speed and the corners before the drops are banked downwards.

In the queueline is the best annoucement though, "we remind our kind and loyal guests that people of a large nature will not be allowed to ride Fuga de Atlantide". Basically if you're fat you wont fit into the seats .

By this time you may have noticed how much I talk about Gardaland. Basically I love the park and it's an incredibly friendly and fun atmosphere.

As for the tickets, Getting an evening ticket on the first day, and then another full price one the next morning would cost €40,00. Whilst getting a 2-day ticket in the evening will only cost €38,50. It isn't much of a difference and i'm not sure how many you're going with considering there's a mini-bus. But the overall saving can be used to buy a couple of on-ride photos . They are about €3.00 I think, but they are fairly small so you pay for what you get it seems.

I'm not sure whether you would still be able to buy the 2-day ticket in the evening actually. Something to see on the day I suppose. (Looking at those prices they've gone up since last year, but i'm not suprised with Sequoia Adventure coming in)

Anyway, there's yet more Gardaland info for you. You'll be very happy with the night-time riding, especially on the drop tower!

Can't wait till your proposed Uk trip. Then you'll be reading a book on what we all have to say

Question #5 - On Day 10, when we take the ferry, does anyone think we need to make reservations for this one? It goes about every 30 minutes, and it seems like we should be ok without them, we just want to make sure.

If there's any way to check this, I would, just in case, since you'll need space for a vehicle.

Question #6 - Also on Day 10, is it realistic to be able to hit Hansa park? How much time should we budget for Bon Bon Land? Is it a park we can see in 3 hours or less? And how long would we need at Hansa Park?

Can't answer the Hansa Park question but 3 hours is plenty for Bon Bon Land. Try to do both "self-operated" rides, the butterfly "coaster" and the aerial ropeway (Schwebebahnan?).

Question #15 - What can we expect on the overnight ferry we are taking? It is pretty straightforward? Is it "nice?" Are we actually going to get any sleep?

We didn't take this route but we did take an overnight ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm. We chose the Silja line and it was very nice. Lots of things to do while on board. We were in a ghetto cabin, way below deck (below the vehicles, I think!), and it was perfectly fine--the only time we spent in the cabin was sleeping (no problem) and getting ready in the morning. A tip if you do have a very small cabin with 4 bunks for only 2 people: open one upper and one lower bunk for sleeping. That way you can store your luggage under the upper bunk and have room to walk around. Overall, the Scandinavian trains and ferries seem quite nice, compared to others in Europe.

Other random things:

Ride Balder as late as you can. It's quite sluggish in the morning but warms up as the day goes on. You'll get in early (1/2 hour?) because you're a hotel guest.

Try to see Tivoli at night, if your schedule allows.

I know some people have dissed Bakken, but I loved it. Guess I just had a great time there the day we went. It was pretty deserted so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. It's hard to describe--kind of like a bizarre Knoebel's in Denmark. The wristbands are a little weird because many of the rides are owned by independant contactors and they have to be scanned at each ride. The guy running the kiddie coaster the day we were there was so enthusiastic that he made it a really fun ride (in the rain, even). The Fun House is very cool and don't miss the dark ride (Spogelsestoget). If you like flats, the Moser Extreme is excellent. Dillen, a water flat ride, is loads of fun once you figure out how to get the innocent bystanders wet. Make sure you take a close look in the candy store window that's next to Rutschebanen, to spot the heart-shaped lollipops that say "F**K YOU" among all the "I LOVE YOU" ones.

Oh--if you like ice cream, the stuff in Scandinavia is fantastic.

If I remember rightly, the rides at Gardaland that have the turnstyle countdown queues are:

Space Vertigo

Fuga d'Atlantide

Blue Tornado

Magic Mountain

Flying Island

4-D Adventure

The queues for Fuga, Blue Tornado, Magic Mountain, Flying Island and the Rapids all move pretty quickly. Space Vertigo's doesn't - if it reaches out beyond the zig-zag of hedges which is near the front of the queue, avoid it till it goes down. But at night, this shouldn't be an issue.

Colorado Boat's queue can get huge, but it looks a lot worse than what it is. Ed & I only ended up queuing 1/2 hour for the ride despite the line being nearly full.

Also, the front of the park has a beautiful carousel with two levels - worth a Kodak moment or two!

Day 5: Walibi World (Six Flags Holland), then drive 4 hours - stay at hotel somewhere near Germany/Denmark border.

You already visited this one, and it has not changed much since, one new "soak-your-buddies-on-a-boat-ride" yet nothing *that* great, why not try 2 small parks, Toverland and his motorbike coaster, not very far from Bobbejaanland, and "pick another one in the area". WBW Germany is big enough to spend 1 day, especially when crowded. (imho)

Day 12: Movie Park Germany (WBMW) then drive 1 Hour to Toverland, then drive 3 hours to hotel near Phantasialand

As said previously, plus you'll start to be tired

Day 13: Phantasialand, then drive 1 hour to Klotten Park, then drive 3 hours to hotel near Holiday Park

A whole day to Klotten might be a lot, there is nothing much in the park but the coaster and the new flume for 2005. DO NOT MISS THIS PARK but 1/2 day is enough. I say Tripsdrill Tripsdrill Tripsdrill ! (check distance between them)

If you can, add a German fair, beleive me Olympia Looping, Eurostar, Alpina Bahn must be seen, just for the "here for one week only" factor.

Question #1 - Since we are traveling during the last three weeks of June, we are assuming that parks shouldn't be that crowded. Is this a correct assumption? When we did our Europe trip in 2002, we were there during the last 2 weeks of July and the parks were *PACKED*. We're hoping by going a bit earlier, we won't see as many crowds. When do schools officially get out for the summer?

Last weeks of june generaly mean "schools'out". Beware. A bit sooner would be perfect (may->1st week of june).

Question #2 - Are the drive times that we have posted accurate? We're going by our maps and mapquest and trying to be a little conservative. But do they look correct or are there drives that we should plan shorter or longer, for example, these in particular:

www.mappy.com and www.viamichelin.fr

Question #7 - On Day 11, would it be possible to hit Fort Fun after Heide Park? Does anyone know what time Fort Fun would close on a Friday night in late June? More specifically, we're actually not concerned about the coasters at Fort Fun, we just want to ride the Alpine Coaster! But we also don't want to sacrifice too much time at Heide. Any idea of how long it would take to drive from Heide to Fort Fun?

Just a few hours from Heide to Fort Fun, don't know more specificaly, I did the reverse itinary in 2003 and it was fine. Fort Fun is an interesting small park, with flat rides unexpectably pushed to the limit, yet nothing really *that" original. Small but fun park. Almost died in the bobsleid ride !

Question #9 - On Day 13, we are planning on leaving Phantasialand at 2:30pm in order to get to Klotten park. Is one hour drive from Phantasialand to Klotten correct? And is 5 hours at Phantasialand enough?

5 hours is short, especially considering the high quality of the major rides there (River Quest has the longest queue, 1 hour is frequent, Mystery Castle, Winja's -first Force then Fear-, Colorado Adventure -forget BTM-, when 1 of this kind of 1st class ride is in a regular park, we are happy, here, there are 4 of them, some 2nd rate rides could be skipped though: Galaxy -simulator-, the mad house, the feary dark ride) I spend a plain day in there, and I visit the park twice a year.

Question #13 - We will be at Asterix on the first Monday of July. I have been to this park about 10 times now and it's ALWAYS packed!!! Any idea if we can expect yet another crowded day on a Monday in early July?

You said it. "Packed"

Question #14 - We are in the process of booking hotels. We are going to stay at the Liseberg hotel, Phantasialand hotel, Europa Park hotel, and on property at Disneyland Paris. All other nights we are looking for 'motels' that are right off the motorway and easy to get to. Any suggestions?

holiday inn, try the accord group (www.ibishotel.com)

Question #17 - Any traveling fairs that you know of that are going on near the parks we are planning to hit? Like I said we'll be in Europe the last 3 weeks of June through July 5th. So if there is a German fair going on the last week of June near a park we're visiting, we might be able to hit that!

I have no date as of today, but Dusseldorf might be somewhere around july 15th, 1 week to 10 days, I think Dusseldorf and Oktoberfest @ Munchen are the 2 biggest German fairs. Deinitely not to be missed. There is Anakirmes somewhere in July near the Belgian Border, not too bad, includes Olympia Looping, but 5 cars/train in stead of 7 (Munchen). Difference is noticeable

I don't know much but what I know I told you.

Hope you'll make it !

Exactly !

Visit Toverland instead of Walibi World ! A new park, two new coaster credits and one heck of a great powered rodelbahn. (those Wiegand Bobkarts)

Walibi only has a new kiddie/family waterpistol ride.

I thought of another question...

At most of the places we will have reservations, but on some of our drives (mainly the one from Walibi World - Farup) we were thinking of just trying to "wing it" meaning not have a reservation and just go as far as we can then stop for the night. Are there enough motels along the motorway to do this? Or is that risky? Should we just book all the motels ahead of time?

As for going to Walibi World, we're going with 4 other people on this trip who have not EVER been to European Parks before and we'd like to take them there. Plus I really liked Goliath and Robin Hood so it won't be the worst place to revisit, we wil try and get out of their early though!

Elissa "thanks! I can't wait to meet all of you...and try out my French in some places too!" Alvey

Walabi-Farup is in Germany most of the way, which is one of the best hotel countries. I am unsure of how good it is in Jutland, you should be able to find a decent motel, but I advise you to stick to the eastern part of the isle, as the "West Coast" (allways wanted to call it that ) is full of higher-end and exclusive hotels. Which by no means is any good, after my book anyway. However, if reservation doesn't cost anything, it won't hurt to reserve a room.

Asking a bit around, I got directed to http://www.danhostel.dk/vandrerhjem.asp?lan=uk&id=15 a hostel 3 kilometers from Farup Sommerland, with prices ranging at about 85$ per night for a six person room, with own bath. This isn't by no means a luxary place, but it doesn't seem too shabby either.

As for going to Walibi World, we're going with 4 other people on this trip who have not EVER been to European Parks before and we'd like to take them there. Plus I really liked Goliath and Robin Hood so it won't be the worst place to revisit, we wil try and get out of their early though!

Good excuse.

It's a nice park, especially for a first-timer. I personally, do not like Goliath, it lacks speed on the hills, yet it's too fast in the helixes.

As for French, try avoiding the American R (aarghhh ) and try to let the end of words fade away a bit. Do that and you're a pro Frenchie.

^Thanks for the advice...

I was the one at Six Flags Belgium in 2002 that had to explain to the parents why all these crazy grown Americans needed to borrow their kids to ride the kiddie coaster!

I also was sent up to the ride op to ask what time Turbine was going to open.

It all worked out so I guess my French wasn't too rusty!

Elissa "I miss Europe!!" Alvey

Rob,

Here some very odd named food to watch out for when travelling around Europe this June.

Some others:-

Spunk Bars (some kind of chocolate bar, I think) .

Snacky Crackys (Peanuts covered in some crunchy coating).

Bubble Jugs (Chewing gum)

Nick “Noblice were actually quite tasty, for the record they were biscuits” Collins

A motel-suggestion which might be helpful:

http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/index.html

Formule 1 motels are located almost everywhere throughout Europe (Except for Italy and The Netherlands) and are a cheap and ok way to spend the night! Usually a room will cost you some € 28,- and, depending on which country you are in, may be used by 2 or 3 persons, but since you'll be traveling with 4 people, you will need 2 rooms. The rooms don't have a shower or a toilet, these are located in the hallway, however, there is a sink in your room.

You might want to check http://themepark.nl/php/tporganizer/ for a detailed scheme of parks around the world, and especially in Europe. This little database is filled with experiences from Themepark.nl members and features some handy tips. The downside to it, is that it is entirely in Dutch, but if you really are interested in some of these details, please let me know, so I can translate for you!

A last piece of advise: Be sure to spend enough time in Mirabilandia! Katun is one of the greatest coasters I've ridden. Also be sure to check out their River Rapids ride. It's a realy nice cooldown on a hot day

[edit]

As for QUESTION 11:

We did a similar trip once, and what I can remember, is that we had to wait for almost an hour for the Gotthard Tunnel which connects Switserland to Italy. I'm not sure what the reason of this holdup was, but it realy slowed us down! (by the way, we were traveling in a minibus then too Be sure to have airconditioning in your vehicle! It can get pretty hot in Italy! (South Germany to ))

[edit 2]

It's such a pity you decided to skip Efteling park in the Netherlands. I know that you guys didn't think too much of it during ECO, but why not give it another try... After all, it's probably one of the world's oldest 'modern style' amusement-parks! I agree, that the park doesn't feature the worlds best coasters, in fact they're almost all Vekoma-rides, but I think the park is beautiful to stroll through and features a great fairytale-wood! But hey, it's all up to you guys!

[edit 3]

More and more tips fall into my head Here's another one:

Buy a Thrill pass at Walibi Belgium (former Six Flags Belgium). My experience is that when you order a pass, you can pick it up when you leave the park. This pass offers you free entry to the folowing parks:

Walibi Belgium

Walibi World

Movie Park Germany

Walibi Aquitaine

Walibi Lorraine

Walibi Rhone-Alpes

Bellewaerde Park

If I had to choose between Walibi Lorraine or another Walibi park, I would go for Walibi Lorraine. It has a funny wooden coaster, which has anti-rollback devices on the hills that should have provided airtime. In other words: It sucks as a coaster, but it's great fun riding it with friends!

I live about 10 minutes far from Mirabilandia, and i go to the park every week, 3-4 times a week...and in june, on a weekday, it won't be crowded, and if you wanna a guided tour in the park, i will stay with you during that day!!! I'm really looking forward to meet all of you! On what day you will arrive at the park?

Bye,

Marco.