TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Suprising Soakings

A few years ago, I took my girlfriend to Worlds of Fun. She needed all the credits, so of course we had to ride the Boomerang and Timber Wolf... Turns out on Timber Wolf they added sprayers around every turn around; and believe it or not, we got SOAKED on that ride. I almost felt as if they were all pointed directly at our face during every helix. Oddly enough, it took a ride that normaly would be "meh" and turned it into a truely memorable experience. Weird, bit it worked!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls at IOA. We've been on log flumes and gotten wet. However Ripsaw Falls is the first time we've ever gotten completely soaked. We should have seen this coming with all the people who were wearing ponchos while in line.

When I rode tutuki splash at portaventura I obviously knew I was going to get wet and as I saw a few people taking their shirts off and putting them between their back and the seat in order to "protect" them I decided to do the same. However, as we were sitting in the back, we went down the first drop and it was fine only like five seconds later a sort of wave attacked us from being and not only was I soaked but but my t-shirt I was trying to keep dry was also soaked.

The log flume at window of the World near Happy Valley Shenzhen. It wasn't the ride that soaked me, it was more the very large group of TPR members stood in waiting at the fire hose area after the final drop which I failed to notice and the fire hoses on Chinese water rides are not to be taken lightly!

The little drop after the main drop on JTA in Orlando. I think it scared my mom and sister more when they were in the front and the wettest!

This! The drop pretty much floods the first row and it's the only part of the ride that actually got me soaked.

Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls at IOA. We've been on log flumes and gotten wet. However Ripsaw Falls is the first time we've ever gotten completely soaked. We should have seen this coming with all the people who were wearing ponchos while in line.

Yes and the Popeye and Bluto raft ride was ridiculous too! Just when I thought that I couldn't get any wetter after being on Ripsaw Falls, we rode this thing and I swear that I must have gone under every waterfall on the ride. Totally drenched from head to toe!

Kali River Rapid @ Disney's Animal Kingdom. Didn't knew there was a drop in the middle, so we came out of the ride the most soaked we had ever been on any ride. Just to make it worst it was cold and windy and we had no spare cloths !

I was a single rider at JP at USH. I didn't have a choice where I sat so the lady put me in the front row. Little did I know that I was going to be soaked on the big drop and the two little ones coming off the lift hill.

I rode Knott's Timber Mountain Log Ride last December, which was my first ride on it since the big refurbishment. In the old days, all you got was a bit of spray or mist on the flume's two drops; but in December, both Dan and I got pretty "damp." (One splash nailed me in the right eye.) It wasn't an outrageous "soaking," but wetter than it used to be.

When I rode tutuki splash at portaventura I obviously knew I was going to get wet and as I saw a few people taking their shirts off and putting them between their back and the seat in order to "protect" them I decided to do the same. However, as we were sitting in the back, we went down the first drop and it was fine only like five seconds later a sort of wave attacked us from being and not only was I soaked but but my t-shirt I was trying to keep dry was also soaked.

When there with TPR in 2007 some of us noticed that every tenth boat or so would get drenched from another boat going in the opposite direction as the troughs were very close to each other.

One that I remember is the flume ride at Heide Park. (2008 TPR Europe Tour)

It was one of those like Larry just explained ^ where it wasn't getting wet on the

major drop that got you, but the parallel trough that got hit with the splashdown

on the major drop. And that was before the major drop!

So some times, you'd accidently get drenched already, lol.

Yes and the Popeye and Bluto raft ride was ridiculous too! Just when I thought that I couldn't get any wetter after being on Ripsaw Falls, we rode this thing and I swear that I must have gone under every waterfall on the ride. Totally drenched from head to toe!

After Ripsaw Falls, we didn't want to brave Popeye and Bluto, and it sounds like we were right in not trying it. I think that is one of the only rides at IOA that we haven't done.

It's even worse when you're in the front seat. On the small drop (the big one as well, but not as much), the front of the boat acts as a scoop and completely covers the front row in water.

Same here... I've never gotten so soaked on a log flume.

Popeye & Bluto was the only ride I ever felt where we were "pummeled" with waves of water. I had to keep my eyes shut because with that much water being thrown in my face, I was worried I would lose a contact lens.

As far as the most surprising, in recent memory it was Smoky Mountain Rampage last summer. I knew we'd get wet, but while riding it with an an entire family of strangers, every drop and waterfall hit my buddy and I. EVERY time. No joke. Every member of the family barely got a drop. It was quite amusing to everyone, including us. We went back to the car for a food break, and found a grassy spot nearby to lay in the sun to dry off and took off our shoes & socks to dry out as well...

Okay, I shall add another ride that offer a surprised soaking, a log flume called "American Plunge", located at Silver Dollar City. At first thought, this would have been another log flume ride in which the log rides in and out of tunnels before going up the only hill in the ride. When you go down, say "Good-bye to dry"!"

I still don't know why I rode it several times, including one at nighttime. I really wasn't that hot, but methinks I was trying to see if it was possible to ride the American Plunge without getting wet. I wasn't successful in any attempt.

I thought of one more, the rapids ride at Dorney.

Of course every rapids ride gets you wet and has the potential to soak you. From the path you see some waterfalls and you realize that if the boat is turned the wrong way you're going to go under them and get soaked. This is normal for rapids rides.

What's not normal is what you CAN'T see from the path. This ride is just waterfall after waterfall after waterfall that covers the river completely and guarantees that no matter what every single person in every single raft is going to get so incredibly soaked that they might as well have just jumped into the wave pool with all of their clothes on. It's the most ridiculous rapids ride I've ever seen.

One of the more recent "surprise" soakings took place at SFFT last summer. We were coming up over the second lift and the front of the boat decided to go underwater, causing a tidal wave to rush into the front, completely soaking me.

Normally, I know what to expect from a flume and I only get surprised when someone has impeccable timing with the water cannons. I got struck dead on by some guy at Kings Dominion in 2012. All I could do was laugh and give him a high five after getting off the ride.

One time a long time ago I rode a chute the chutes type ride (not 100% sure which one, since it was ages ago, but it was most likely that it was Escape from Pompeii at BGE) and at the top of the lift hill I got my sneakers totally inundated, much to my chagrin, when water that must have been in the back of the boat came rushing towards the front as the boat came off the lift. That was quite unexpected, since most everyone assumes that the only part of such rides that might end up drenching you is when the boat hits the bottom of the drop(s).

The only other unexpected incident (unexpected in both how wet I got and how far off the seat I bounced at the bottom of the last drop) was last summer on the Coal Cracker at HP. I hadn't ridden that log flume in ages, but it was really hot and sticky and I figured I'd be happy if I got a little bit wet so I could cool off. Well, I rode it with two people I was with, both of whom were heavier than I was (and none of the three of us were skinny people, if you know what I mean), with me in the front and the two of them in the middle and back. Well, once the log got to the bottom of the last drop, I was quick enough to put up my hands to ward off the splash to the face I knew was coming, but it wasn't just a little spray but rather a torrent of water that hit me. And to top it off, I know I must have come a foot off of the seat which really freaked me out for a second (really, who gets any air at the bottom of a drop on a flume or water ride?). I was soaked down thru my clothes and had to go ride Skyrush a few times to dry off. Well, it did cool me off, at least for a little while, that's for sure.

So if you want to try and experience something like that on a log flume, get three people in a log (if it's the kind where three adults can fit in it, of course) and make sure the two people sitting behind you are heavier than you are.