TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Suprising Soakings

Both my best and worst soakings were both at DLR.

Best: At Disneyland, we decided to ride Splash Mountain because we wanted to take advantage of the short line at 11:30 at night. Little did I know at the time that the drops inside the ride building get you completely soaked! When we dropped into the Laughing Place, I got nailed head to foot. It was hilarious at first, but I defenitely regretted it since we had to walk back to our hotel at midnight soaking wet. Worth it to ride such a great flume with a short wait though. Earlier in the day it hit 90 minutes, and at night it was a walk on!

Worst: At DCA, it was boiling hot. We decided to brave the 120 minute line for Grizzly River Run, hoping to get a nice soaking. I exited with not a drop on me. So disappointing. But then I learned my lesson to use the single rider line and be willing to ride with people you don't know if you really want to get wet.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perilous Plunge with the 1st generation boats back in 2002. Should have known something was not right when the boat pulled into the loading dock with 6 inches of water floating around. Nope! Had to ride anyways. Due to the drop's steepness, I was soaked before the boat hit the runout. Definitely beyond the acceptable amount of wetness!

The 2nd generation boats don't provide anywhere near the same amount of saturation.

When Buzzsaw Falls was still open at SDC, if you sat near the front or the back of the boat, it pretty much went underwater at some points. That may be an exaggeration, but water really did spill over the sides of the boat...worst of all, that was just as the boat came out of the station, while on the "finale" you barely even got sprayed by water - that is only one of the many reasons I hated Buzzsaw Falls, and I am so glad it has been replaced with Powder Keg.

During my first visit to Six Flags Great Adventure (up in New Jersey), I decided to ride one of the tube rides because it was getting late in the evening and there was no lines. Their tubing rides were named after rivers in China (I got on Yellow River) and was determined to have a great ride without getting wet.

So I slide down the tube and hit one corner - a little water splashes in, but that's okay. I slide down more and hit another curve and a little more water splashes in, but I can handle that as well. As I reach the end of the slide, all of the sudden it felt like I hit a wall of water and I was soaked to the bone.

"I'm wet! I'm all wet!!!

As I exited the ride all dripping wet, two ladies that were about to enter the line saw me, saw what has happened to me, and decided not to go on that ride.

That was in 1994. Six Flags Great Adventure no longer has that attraction (maybe it got moved to Hurricane Harbor. I wouldn't know; I've never been there), but that ride gave me the biggest soaking of my life.

"You can always ride me. I won't get you wet."

Ah yes, there was another surprise soaking and it happened at Six Flags Mid America (St Louis). So what ride was it that I got soaked on? Would you believe it was The Excaliber?

"Baa-Humbug! How could anyone get a surprise soaking on Excaliber? It isn't a water ride.

No, Excaliber isn't a water ride, but as I got on it and the ride started moving, a freak rainstorm came out of nowhere and soaked me pretty good. That was a surprise soaking.

"How about giving me a surprise and come to bed right now?"

Not really a SOAKING, but it is a surprise wetness factor that you dont expect even though you could see it if you were outside the ride. I'm talking about the, now defunct, water hose that used to spray over the heads of riders where that pesky heart-line roll was once located on Maverick at Cedar Point. I loved it, but it was removed due to complaints from riders that the water hurt; which I understand completely. I have a pic!

n20903877_33622913_849.jpg.00003d65c82a90273bc2cbc8be88be31.jpg

BEWARE OF THE FIRE HOSE

Roller Soaker at Hershey, again I knew I'd get wet but s***, do I look like Aquaman or something? I only rode it once but this was a credit I truly suffered for.

Yeah, that's a credit you pay for! But you can't really blame them for it when the ride is called Roller SOAKER! Truth in advertising!

Luckily, just before I got on it, I realized that you could take your shirt and shoes off. Which was very good, because almost immediately after riding (well, after one more ride on Storm Runner) I had a long drive to Kings Dominion.

I wasn't even supposed to be at the park on that day. But the day before it was POURING all day. (Talk about getting SOEAKED on rides!) They managed to get most of the coasters back open eventually, but not Storm Runner, Roller Soaker or the Mouse. Since they let me come back the next day for free, and the hotel I was in let me stay another night at the same discounted price (which was a good move for them, since there were like three rooms being used that night!), I decided to change my plans and hit three rides in the morning, before heading to KD. I wouldn't have bothered for the mouse (which I'd already ridden in the past) or even Roller Soaker, but I really wanted to experience Storm Runner. And I'm probably not going back to Hershey for a few years at the least.

Not only do you get SOAKED on the ride, but it broke down on me on the final brake run just before the station. And they wouldn't let me get off. So I was sitting there for like 15 minutes with water spraying on me! After 5 minutes, they offered to shut off the water. Gee, thanks, guys! Luckily, my shirt and shoes and socks were still in the station. I ended up changing my pants and underwear in the parking lot before the looong drive to KD! (And if you happened to be walking by and were shocked at the view, sorry!)

On a funnier topic, has anyone CAUSED a not-so-accidental soaking, besides the water canons you can pay for?

One time a friend and I were at Blizzard Beach on their lazy river. I'm a big fan of them as a nice break from the slides, but the best parts are when they have waterfalls and fountains and the like. But the one at BB really only has one big area where you get wet. It's a cave with a big split waterfall. Unless you go through right in the middle, you'll get pretty wet. So a lot of people, especially the moms and grannies, will desperately paddle to the middle. Since the river is long and uneventful, we decided to sit in the middle of the tube with our feet dangling and use our feet to hold us in that area under the waterfalls for a while.

At first, we accidentally bumped a few people under the waterfalls. It only took a light bunp. Of course, some of them were mad. We decided to stay there and do it on purpose, but to make it look like it was an accident! So we ended up sitting there for easily over 20 minutes knocking dozens of people under the waterfalls, while trying our best to look really innocent and not to laugh until they'd passed. Some of them, especially the moms and grannies, got really pissed! I'd have felt bad if they hadn't been sitting IN A WATER RIDE!

I'll probably go to hell for that.

I got surprised by Tidal Force at Hersheypark. I mean I knew it was going to be wet but holy crap, I didn't expect to get that wet.

Same for me! The first time I rode Tidal Force, I remember hitting the water and then seeing this insane wall of water go skyward on all sides. It was at that very moment I thought to myself, "Oh. Crap!" What followed was the equivalent of jumping into a pool with my clothes on. Most soaked I've been on a ride ever! I couldn't stop laughing the whole way to the station!

I mean, you see the wave from the midway, but your mind thinks "nah, most of that has to miss the boat!" Um, no.

• 2 years later...

I was surprised at Hersheypark with Tidal Wave. BUT NOT ON IT! The ride is right by a popular pathway and so i'm just walkin along, minding my own business, and then the boat hit the water, sending A HUGE WAVE out onto the pathway, soaking me! terrible timing! If i had walked a bit faster or slower I would've missed it! It was pretty unfortunate. I got soooo wet....

One of my favorite things to do as a monster at Haunt way back when was open a hatch in the shipping crate facades around the Perilous Plunge turnaround and throw cups of water on the boats. I'd say having a clown pop out and give you a bonus splash counts as surprising.

I was surprised at Hersheypark with Tidal Wave. BUT NOT ON IT! The ride is right by a popular pathway and so i'm just walkin along, minding my own business, and then the boat hit the water, sending A HUGE WAVE out onto the pathway, soaking me! terrible timing! If i had walked a bit faster or slower I would've missed it! It was pretty unfortunate. I got soooo wet....

There's "soak zone" or something painted on the sidewalk near the railings. Did you not see it?

Orientation for my first amusement park job as a Ride Operator in 2011 gave all us incoming employees a surprise soaking. We were all gathered at Flying Swings (Zamperla Flying Carousel) being shown some basics about what to expect through the course of your day running a ride. After my manager was done speaking, he offered us all a ride on the brand new Flying Swings. Once we were all buckled in, the ride started and all of the sudden a torrential downpour of water comes off the top of the ride and soaks everyone riding. Apparently it had rained the night before and they hadn't run the ride since then to get the water off the top. We later took pictures for our ID badges were I had a nice picture of me all soaked to remind me of that surprise for two years as they used the same picture on my badge in 2012.

Two rides both at Bobbejanland. The first was the suspended coaster with the times water jets underneath. I ride in the front row if the first train if the day and the jets didn't go off in time. I got a powerful jet of water in the face.

Second was the indoor log flume. Drenched is an understatement.

Mine happened on Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom. My daughter and I were were still on the scenic part of the ride, about halfway up the mountain on the left. While we were still outside, a boat came down the hill and the huge jets of water that accompany that shot off towards each side of the main hill. What I never knew but quickly found out is where that water lands. We were not expecting it and were drenched. It was pretty awesome!

Thunder Canyon at Cedar Point got me pretty good. My fault for not bothering to check the course for waterfalls first! At least all the water rides at that park are close together, so once you get drenched on one the others aren't too bad.