TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cruising with Theme Park Review - Feb 2011

robbalvey

Which Beer Cozie should we buy Piers? (See Page 18)  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beer Cozie should we buy Piers? (See Page 18)

• Option #1
    • Option #2

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the Disney ships, I haven't done one yet (Elissa has and loved it) ...but I'll be able to tell you after our Disney Fantasy cruise next year! We would have done the Disney Dream this year, but we prefer at least a 7 day cruise, and the Dream only does 3/4 night itineraries.

Also, another bit of advice - if you know that a "sister ship" to a current ship that has come out is on the horizon, it may be worth the wait. For example, we never did Oasis because we knew that any little issues found on Oasis would get fixed on Allure. There was something like 600 line item changes between Oasis and Allure. Some tiny things like the way the outlets were arranged in the staterooms to major things like changing food locations that didn't work on Oasis.

There is no Starbucks on Oasis, and the hot dog place doesn't exist on that ship either. The Rising Tide on Allure has expanded seating, and they swapped out the seafood restaurant for the Mexican place after it wasn't well received.

We waited for Liberty to be released because there were quite a few changes between Freedom and Liberty, and it's one of the reasons why we are holding off for the Disney Fantasy.

In almost every example, V2.0 of a ship design adds many improvements over the original.

Now, having said that, many times something that has worked on a more recent ship will get retrofitted on an older ship. Liberty and Freedom are getting Allure's cupcake store this year as well as adding an infants kids club and the Dreamworks character breakfasts.

Someone asked about the "October TPR" cruise, and yes there is one, but sorry it's by invite only. And how do you get on Robb & Elissa's personal invite list? Be an awesome TPR member!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Does anyone know why some of those rooms don't have balcony doors? Bonus points if you do!

Because it's under the poop deck...

Well maybe because of the pool and all of its equipment are behind those facades.

Thanks for the updates! The ship looks incredible! I read online too that Liberty just came out of its dry dock with lots of changes!

They added the digital way-finding guide on Liberty. I loved that ship and cannot wait for the Oasis Class!

I love all of the cruise ship trip reports here on TPR lately, this place is slowly turning into a Theme Park AND Cruise Ship Review website! Anyways this ship looks amazing, I went on my first cruise last month and have been dying to go on another one ever since (maybe I can actually remember the next one). All of the new ships from different Cruise Lines all look so amazing, the Epic, the new Celebrity ships, and these 2 new ones from RCCL. I really really like where the cruise industry is going, even though I've only been on one cruise (although TPR has turned me into an expert!) I really see my self becoming an avid cruise ship enthusiast in the future, trying to schedule another cruise this summer/fall as we speak.Now if we could only get roller coaster on a cruise ship.......

I love all of the cruise ship trip reports here on TPR lately, this place is slowly turning into a Theme Park AND Cruise Ship Review website!

The funny thing is that over the last couple of years cruise ships have really started becoming a bit more like floating theme parks! The latest RCCL and Disney ships are closer to bridging that gap!

I don't think there will ever be a full scale roller coaster but I could totally see more things like zip lines, water coasters and other "attractions" getting added. Maybe a fully enclosed alpine coaster or something?

I love all of the cruise ship trip reports here on TPR lately, this place is slowly turning into a Theme Park AND Cruise Ship Review website!

The funny thing is that over the last couple of years cruise ships have really started becoming a bit more like floating theme parks! The latest RCCL and Disney ships are closer to bridging that gap!

I don't think there will ever be a full scale roller coaster but I could totally see more things like zip lines, water coasters and other "attractions" getting added. Maybe a fully enclosed alpine coaster or something?

or a small dark ride maybe? A Shooting dark ride on a ship would be really cool and a lot of fun! I'm sure you could fit a scaled down version of Toy Story mania on a cruise ship somewhere, maybe with a few less number of show scenes that have a longer play time for each for each game maybe? or RCCL could put a Dreamworks character dark ride of some kind.

If that happened I think future TPR cruises would definitely include a drunken Dark Ride Shootout Challenge (sponsored by Piers, naturally).

Edited by Hilltopper39

To be honest, I'd rather see them building more things like the Dragon's Tail alpine coaster at Labadee. Sure it's not a *real* credit, but as a ride that everyone can enjoy, it's GREAT! And when you consider all the zipline tours, ATVs, dune buggies, and wave runners they offer on port days there really is quite a lot of options for "thrill seekers."

But I do agree a dark ride like TSM could totally be done for the Disney ships!

To be honest, I'd rather see them building more things like the Dragon's Tail alpine coaster at Labadee. Sure it's not a *real* credit, but as a ride that everyone can enjoy, it's GREAT!

I agree. As long as there's something to appeal to all demographics, I'm for it.

Maybe a cruise line could add in ship departing zip-lines.

Hi. Great posts, Thanks. Doing Allure in June. First big boat w/ grandkids. My recollection is that RCCL is pretty easy going re kids dress in the main dining room. Your sense? Shorts OK for kids? Formal night still pretty relaxed for men (last RCCL seemed like few tuxes and suits, mostly sports coats). True?

or a small dark ride maybe? A Shooting dark ride on a ship would be really cool and a lot of fun! I'm sure you could fit a scaled down version of Toy Story mania on a cruise ship somewhere, maybe with a few less number of show scenes that have a longer play time for each for each game maybe? or RCCL could put a Dreamworks character dark ride of some kind.

If that happened I think future TPR cruises would definitely include a drunken Dark Ride Shootout Challenge (sponsored by Piers, naturally).

The more I think about this idea, the more epic it becomes.

Hi. Great posts, Thanks. Doing Allure in June. First big boat w/ grandkids. My recollection is that RCCL is pretty easy going re kids dress in the main dining room. Your sense? Shorts OK for kids? Formal night still pretty relaxed for men (last RCCL seemed like few tuxes and suits, mostly sports coats). True?

Here's the thing - the dress code for the dining room is no shorts, no T-Shirts, basically no Rastus attire!

BUT... Youll see a few people do it anyway, and it's kind of frowned upon, but the dining room staff has been more laxed because they want their tips. Out of maybe 100 people, you'll see one or two people wearing shorts. Jeans are "ok" but for example I don't wear them, and most of the time I wear khakis and a collar shirt.

For kids, the rules are more laxxed, but even still you don't see many kids in shorts and t-shirts. We would never let Kristen wear shorts to the dining room. She wears comfortable clothes, not too dressy, but not like she just came from the playground.

For formal nights, dress pants, dress shirt, and tie is almost always required, and dressy clothes for kids. Anything else and you'll absolutely get stares and comments made. I know I certainly would. You don't have to wear a tux but jackets are encouraged.

IMO, if you want to come to the dining room dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, go to the buffet instead. They don't care what you wear there.

In summary, the rules state "shorts, tank tops, and hats are not permitted at dinner." All ages. They will let you in, but you would be breaking the rules, and you would look out of place, even the kids.

Hope this helps!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Someone asked about the "October TPR" cruise, and yes there is one, but sorry it's by invite only. And how do you get on Robb & Elissa's personal invite list? Be an awesome TPR member!

--Robb

CHALLONGE!!! hahaha Hmmm maybe it is time to get the TPR Tatto?!

What to soon?

Ryan

Here's the thing - the dress code for the dining room is no shorts, no T-Shirts, basically no Rastus attire!

--Robb

Hey, I resemble that remark!

My wife always gripes at me about wearing a t-shirt when we go out to eat at a decent place. I do wear work clothes when we go to Chez Nous, and other high end places. So, alas, I know I'll have to dress up some to please the snooty ship Gods if we go on one. ALthough we're looking at a Disney cruise, and they are probably the last ones to enforce anthing.

Proud to have eaten at Antoine's in New Orleans in a t-shirt and blue jean shorts.

-RO