TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hidden treasures/left overs

I tried a little search on this, but it's hard to define so I thought I would start a thread. My apologies if there is something like it. Shut it down if you must.

I always think it's fascinating to find leftovers and remains in a park of old rides or buildings. There are tons of them in parks all over the world. What ones do you guys know of that maybe the majority of us have never noticed or heard about?

Even things like recycled theme parts, like Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain, and the old Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland. Another example is the picnic pavilion at Waldameer that was actually the original Ravine Flyer's station.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Great Adventure opened there was an ice cream place called the Yum Yum Ice Cream Palace. Wonderful ice cream sundaes. The roof of the building looked like an ice cream sundae. The building and it's ornately styled roof still exist as the Character Cafe.

2124115230_memorial_day_2010_0801.jpg.34b6466012bf9a555ae626463cda1de3.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Philrad71

Edited by larrygator

The final remaining footer from the old Carowinds monorail used to be right next to the first drop of Vortex up until the middle of the season last year, then they tore it out. You can also still see parts of the old track that the boat ran on in the lagoon before Borghawk was installed. Just ride the Sky Tower and look down, it's really easy to spot.

If you go to Cedar Point, the blue building between RipCord and SkyScraper is the old electrical/air building from VertiGo, now used as a storage building for towels and other stuff. Also, you can still see the old attachments where the track sat on the supports from the original layout of Magnum before the reprofile in 1990 (from the 3rd hill to the pretzel). A lot of people already know this, but the 5th and 6th trains of each side of Gemini now reside in the infield of Mean Streak (along with a lot of other used junk).

EDIT: Another one, the Outer Hanks restaurant at Carowinds is below the old Sky Ride station.

EDIT 2: I've thought of a ton more since posting this.

- You can still see the "TG" logo for Top Gun on the outside of Afterburn's station just after the batwing.

- You have to be on the ground for this, but all the old footers of Thunder Road are still there from before the GCI rebuild.

- The old entrance/exits of Carolina Cyclone and Hurler are still visible if you know where to look for them. Hurler's is the sidewalk that walks right in front of the Skycoaster, and Cyclone's is behind the perimeter fence off to the left of the loops.

- When you ride Phantom's Revenge, some of the old footers from the original ravine drop are still visible to the left of the new drop.

- At Dorney, the footers from Hercules' turn over the water are still visible from the turn-around on Steel Force.

Edited by Skycoastin Steve

Before they completely leveled the area where Maverick was built, there was remaining cement troughs from the original Shoot the Rapids which were visible during the first part of White Water Landing at Cedar Point. The rumor I heard was that the cement was so thick, it would be impossible to get rid of it, so they just built around it. Of course, they did manage to clear it all out for Maverick.

Sorry no pics!

Unless I was dreaming, on Cyclone at SFNE circa 2008 you can see the original drop under the shorter reprofiled drop. At SFA in 2008 there was a burned down building that you can see from their GCI, that's probably appropriate theming for SFA.

In the middle of Dorney was a walkthrough Gold Mine attraction. It closed in the 80's and I hear that the attraction still exists underground with most of the scenery still in place but no way to access it (at least for a regular park guest).

CGA has a load of easy-to-spot left-overs. First off, there's visible Whizzer footers, visible from the Sky Tower, as well as the footers from Tidal Wave (No Brainer to spot) and some footers of Stealth. Stealth's station was converted to a queue or base platform for the water slides. The former train station (in the back) is now a queue building for Psycho Mouse. Tidal Wave's station platform is still standing, possibly slowly rotting away. Triple Play's entrance still stands complete with the queue railings, and the cement pad it stood on. So we see a common theme here: rides dismantled, footers and other parts of the ride live on and remind us of the good times we had riding them. Not sure how true this is, but I've read/heard that the planters behind the carousel were actually footers for the Thrust Air coaster we were possibly going to see. Some not-so-obvious ones are one of the mushroom houses from the former Smurf Woods, which still exists in the picnic area, some old signage in the coaster shops from previous rides, or when rides got renames. Though not really a leftover, there is a Tidal Wave model in one of the front Guest Services offices.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I noticed while I was at KD this past summer what looked like a log flume trough at the base of Volcano's "mountain" structure. When I got home I looked it up and found that it used to be some haunted log flume ride.

You can also see the dips that were changed into a straight section on Colossus at SFMM.

vs.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

You can still see The Bat's concrete footers throughout the layout for Vortex at KI, as Vortex's station is the same one used for The Bat (right down to the suspended-track cutaways in the doors to the transfer tracks and some of the track connectors still in place on the station's ceiling).

You can see several things like this at SFMM. In addition to the old track on Colossus, all of the metro track is still standing (it hasn't run in ten years, so it counts as left over). Also, parts of the old Dragon ride (such as the lower station) are easily visible. Several buildings that aren't used anymore are still standing as well. I'm sure there's probably more, but these are the ones that stand out the most.

At Mirabilandia the whole Sierra Tonante queue line is still in place. There are tables now for people eating lunch but if you are a bit familiar with the ride you can still see where the station was.

Also there's still a piece of Sierra Tonante. I'll try to remember to take a photo next time I visit the park.

At Kings Island some of the original footers for the original Arrow Suspended coaster The Bat are still visible under the Vortex. In fact I believe the Vortex reused a few of the supports from the bat, but some left overs are definitely still visible.

I know there are a TON of little hidden references to past attractions all over Disney Property (the Horizons props in Mission Space, the dragon's mouth rocks from the old boat ride at Animal Kingdom) but Ill let some of our more knowledgeable Disney experts comment on those.