TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dreamworld Cyclone Recreation [NL]

"Originally opened at Luna Park in Sydney as Big Dipper in 1994 but was closed after just nine months due to noise complaints. It also opened (along with the park) for a brief period in 2000 to coincide with the Sydney Olympics but closed again after. The original cost of the ride in 1994 was $8 million. In 2001, Dreamworld purchased the coaster for $3 million. The original budgeted cost for modification, installation and theming for Dreamworld was $5 million, but the costs went over this figure by $500,000 - still a saving of $2.5 million on the ride's original cost.

Two inversions (sidewinder and vertical loop respectively) are the very last elements on the ride. Reengineering of many of the supports took place as a result of the move to Dreamworld as in Sydney it was built atop a single storey building in parts."

Coaster stats

Coaster type: Steel

Manufacturer: Arrow Dynamics

Model: Sitdown Looper

Height: 40m | 131ft

Speed: 85km/hr | 53MPH

Length: 900m | 2952ft

Inversions: 2 (Reverse Sidewinder and Vertical Loop)

G-forces: 4g

Capacity (per hour): 400pph

Trains on track: 1

Cars per train: 6

Cost: $5,500,000 AUD

Ride time: 2:00mins

TRACKWORK: 100%

CAR TEXTURES: 100%

SUPPORTS: 15%

CUSTOM STATION: 0%

Cyclone 1.bmp

Front of the Train

Cyclone 3.bmp

2nd half of the ride including helix, Reverse Sidewinder and Vertical Loop

Cyclone 4.bmp

1st half of the ride, including Lift Hill, First Drop, 2nd Fan Turn, S-Bend and Trim brakes / final brakes

Cyclone 5.bmp

Overview of the Layout

Cyclone 6.bmp

Train on the lift hill.

Cyclone 7.bmp

Train on the first drop

Cyclone 8.bmp

Train in the first Fan Turn

Cyclone 10.bmp

Train exiting the 2nd fan turn and approaching the S-bend

Cyclone 11.bmp

Train in the 4G Helix

Cyclone 12.bmp

Train entering the Reverse Sidewinder

Cyclone 13.bmp

Train exiting the Reverse Sidewinder, also where the On Ride photo is taken on the ride.

Cyclone 14.bmp

Train in the Vertical Loop

Cyclone 15.bmp

Train on the trim brake just before the turn around into the station and main brakes.

Edited by mcjaco

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been wanting to make a recreation of Cyclone... I'm from Brisbane too This actually looks great! But I think the first drope is too curvy, it should be more of a down curve, then a diagonal line down then a flat curve if that makes sense but the rest looks great I'm not sure if the very last turn from the trim brakes into the station is banked, but I could be wrong... It's looking awesome though great work! I'll be excited to see any future updates.

Edit: I just realised you got the first drop just right, I must of been looking at it weirdly or i was confused by something else...

I managed to come across some blueprints for the attraction, and that is what I have used to design the ride. Alot of the curves in the finished product will be alot more "sudden" and have some slight G-Force spikes just like the real attraction. It also has some of the famous "Arrow Transitions"

Hopefully I will have it finished by mid March, and then i'm going to start working on a Sea Viper recreation and a Lethal Weapon one