TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Maiden Voyage of the Disney Dream!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does look like a fantastic ship, but I think I prefer the more art deco and traditional feel of the Wonder, the Dream looks a bit too modern and flashy for my liking. But then I was part of the inaugural launch team of the Wonder working as a sound and lighting engineer in the likes of Studio Sea, Wave Bands and the deck parties, so I'm bias.

I actually got asked to go back and do the rig and launch of the Dream but turned it down, might go and do the Fantasy though. I certainly wouldn't rule out go on the Dream for a cruise, but right now I'm swaying towards going on the Wonder for an Alaskan cruise.

Thanks everyone for the great comments! I really appreciate it. Some of the photos were taken by me on my little sony, but most of the good ones were taken by our friend Dana on her SLR. She is an AMAZING photographer.

The ship does look really fun for adults, and kids! Being that it is almost twice as large as the original ships, did it ever feel crowded? Being that you went on a previous cruise, could you tell a difference with the number of people on the ship?

Also, this might seem odd, but what kind of beer do they serve on it? Is it the normal Bud Light type stuff or do they have quality craft brews?

Thanks for the quality pictures! It honestly makes me want to max out the credit cards and take a vacation!

Nope - never felt crowded, and our sailing was sold out. One of my favorite things about DCL is that you hardly ever see children bored and roaming the halls like you do on other lines. They are almost always occupied in their special areas. Not sure about the beer - I know they serve Guinness and Heineken as imports but I don't think they have any craft or unique ales.

Great Trip Report Reed. Jacqi and I were on the Dream about 2 weeks before the Maiden Voyage and it was awesome. Looking at your photos just reminded me how much I need to book another cruise. Palo is amazing - we never miss the brunch they serve. Love the idea of eating in the upscale restaurant, then going to your regular dining room for dinner #2. That thought has never crossed my mind. Glad you guys had a great time!

Whaaat? ClubTPR Cruise?! ... This Fall? Oh no, I guess it won´t be possible for me, but I like this idea.

Back to the PhotoTR: Thank you for posting it. I loved to watch so many details of the cruise, especially of the new Disney Dream.

I wasn´t in Cruise ships, cause I thought it must be boring to be on a ship and I´m not that fan of Tours, with a fixed timetable. But since I visit this page and read so much about your cruise ship trips and have been on a TPR Trip, well planed by Elissa, I´m more looking forward to do a Trip on a ship, too. Especially in a group and especially with the Disney´s Cruise Line and their new Disney Dream, it looks so amazing, beautiful and detailed - it can´t be boring any more!

^The amount of replies vary depending on the thread, and notifications are often somewhere to being 1 minute late (or less) from when one was posted. I don't think you have to sign up for a notification for each thread, if you visit a thread or reply to one, you are automatically signed up to receive notifications for that thread.

^The amount of replies vary depending on the thread, and notifications are often somewhere to being 1 minute late (or less) from when one was posted. I don't think you have to sign up for a notification for each thread, if you visit a thread or reply to one, you are automatically signed up to receive notifications for that thread.

Thanks. Yes that is where I had signed up, but none came ever...tiell just now. I got yours. LOL!

We went on the second voyage, the ship lived up to its name.

SUPER comfortable bed, slept like a baby every night.

Late one evening I wanted to buy a couple of beers to bring back to my room, but all the bars were closed.

One staff member told me to go down to deck 4 at the Buena Vista theatre where Tron 3D was still playing. When I got there, the bar tender had just closed the cash register and locked all the fridges and was about to leave.

He unlocked the fridge and re-opened the cash just to sell me two beers. "Anything for the customer" he said.

Now that's service, I gave him a good tip.

• 1 year later...

I came back to visit your awesome PTR because I leave on Wednesday! YAY! I am curious about the photos. How much were they at Shutters? I am a photo hound... and it will just be me and the hubby. I am sure I will want some of the ones they take on the ship. (Looks like they take a lot!) how does that credit system work? This is not only my first time on Dream, but first cruise over all. Thanks!!

I sailed the Dream last March and will be again in Nov. Photos were expensive, I would say averaging about $20 is for 8 x 10's. You can look into getting a CD with all the photos too. No borders on them, but if you get a lot taken, it might be worth the cost.

I want to say for our 3 night cruise the CD was either $150 or $200, but we did have a lot of photos taken over the course of those 3 days.

For the credit card system. You link your credit card to your ship account. Everything you pay for on ship is by swiping your room key (Key to the world card...KTTW). Then it will be charged to that credit card that is linked. You amy also stop off at guest services and apply cash or Disney gift cards to your account as well. The charges will be take off those amounts first and any balance will then be charged to your credit card. Be sure to keep your gift cards though, because if you have any remaining balance to go back on the card, they will put it right back on the card. Basically cash will be used first, then your gift cards, then credit card will be charged.

I also wrote a pretty lengthy TR about the Dream last year, it might explain a few things too.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

The entire system is pretty easy. I will eventually report back. I took the paper with me regarding the prices for the photos, and will scan it for others to see so they are prepared - because it can be a pretty penny if you have kids. Also, that stupid red pillow. (OK, not so stupid...) I WANT ONE! LOL. $189 though... so not this trip. Already planning to get family to go in 2014! I would go next year, but we are being swayed into a family cruise in the new Carnival Breeze. I am hoping that the company far outweighs the "krappiness".