TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Are You An Organ Donor?

Twister II

Are you an organ donor or apart of a willed body program?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an organ donor or apart of a willed body program?

• Yes, I am an organ donor.
    • No, I am not an organ donor.

Right now I am reading the book "Stiff" by Mary Roach. It's an awesome book! The subtitle is, "the curious life of human cadavers". It goes in depth on what cadavers are used for including science, car crashes, surgeries, and much more. (I HIGHLY recommend the book)

In the book, there is a section on organ dotation and willed body programs. To me, I thought pretty much everyone always agreed to be an organ donor or apart of a willed body program, yet Roach's encounters say otherwise. She states that only about 52% of people agree to be organ donors at the DMV. And even less for willed body programs.

So are you an organ donor or apart of a willed body program???

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, deep topic that certainly caught my eye. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...afterall, it is your body.

A few years ago, one of my best friends had a sister who passed away unexpectedly at age 26. The indescribable pain that they experienced as a result of such a sudden loss was lessened when they learned that she had elected to be an organ donor and that, as a result of her choice, three people across three states were living on because of her selfless gift.

I now work with kids with life-threatening illnesses, many of whom are waiting on an organ or piece of an organ to live to reach double-digits. I've also met children who have had transplants and, if it weren't for the scars on their chest, you'd never know they were sick. They go on to live long and healthy lives.

I'm not religious and I'm not super-sappy. I just feel that if you don't need something anymore...and if it can help someone or multiple people in need, giving it up is the right thing to do.

It's not my intent to guilt trip people into changing their mind. These are just a couple of reasons why I am registered to be an organ donor, and I'm interested to hear other people's reasoning for choosing/not choosing to be.

Maybe I'm just a greedy jerk but I'd like to keep all of my body and stay dignified after I die.

you better hope you don't have to undergo an autopsy!

I am not an organ donor, and do not plan to be anytime soon. I would, however, consider giving my body to a local medical school - I'm sure they'd love to study what my abuses can do to a body

I'm interested to hear other people's reasoning for choosing/not choosing to be

I do not like how there is no compensation for the organs whatsoever. Obviously, if I'm dead, I don't really need it, but even 5-10k to cover funeral expenses would be a nice gesture towards the family. I'm sure you'd get more people to sign up - but I figure they also don't want everybody signed up, because there's a lot of work involved in harvesting organs, which can really become a waste of time & money if the organs aren't able to be salvaged.

Been an Organ Donor forever. Pretty sure I told my parents when I was 8 years old that if I died I wanted people to have my parts!

There's a terrible shortage for organs, and the fact that you want money or dignity is wrong...just do a good thing. It will be the last good thing you do, and if you believe in higher powers then how could you not want to do a final selfless act!?

To the actual point, I've been an organ donor ever since I've had a driver's license. No real problem for me since I'm not a fan of burial anyway. I'm not the most altruistic person either. I barely give any money to charity. But this one is a no-brainer.

I am an organ donor, always will be.

But what about a willed body program??? Giving your corpse to science or research? This could involve strapping on a newly designed bullet-proof vest to make sure it works before put in combat, use for students at a plastic surgery school, car crash studies, and much more.

Personally, Id give my body up for it. A cadaver is about $500 for a university while other technologies can get up to $5000. Weither Im being shot at or dissected, Im going to be looking the same after about a year anyways!

For those of you in California, the DMV sticker is not necessarily enough. Besides, it could fall off or get lost very easily. However, you can register at https://www.donatelifecalifornia.org/register/. Hospitals work with donor organizations that check this website for donors. Also, you should make sure your family knows that you want to be a donor and also have it in writing somewhere. You would be surprised how many people have said they want to be donors and then when they die and it is up to the family, the family changes their mind. I don't want my family to even worry about it. I am registered on the site, I have told everyone I want my body/organs donated and I have a Power of Attorney that states my wishes.

In case you are interested we call in every death or impending death to the donor organization (We use One Legacy), I would guess that is true in all states. They then make the decision if they should approach the family about donation.

Of course I am, as Tyler said it was always kind of a no brainer. It is a selfless act that will have absolutely no negative effect on you except for making yourself feel good, and you potentially have the chance to save lives, which is an incredible act. No use getting attached to a dead body that will just decompose over time, might as well use what I was given but am no longer using to someone else.

I'll stick to being heavily involved with Canadian Blood Services and the normal whole blood donations/volunteering.

I won't even sign up for OneMatch which is like the stem cell/bone marrow thing. My fellow volunteer did it, and he had to take weird hormones and stuff which I think made alot of his hair fall out.

There is no dignity in death. Believe me, as a progressive care RN, I've seen plenty of people die, unfortunately, and it's never pretty. (We have to call in all of our deaths for organ donation screening, too.)

I'm still reeling from the death of one of my patients, last week - younger than me, from complications following an elective surgery. I was at the bedside with the family all night, as he suffered a slow, painful death (that no amount of narcotics could ease,) before passing in the morning. His family chose to donate his organs. It helps ease their pain, to know something good can come out of something so tragic.

I've also been an organ donor since I first got my license, and I know my family is on board. I even have a "Recycle Yourself - Be an Organ Donor" bumper sticker on my car.

Interesting that you brought up the willed body topic. My friend's mother, a retired nurse, just passed away, suddenly, from lymphoma/leukemia, last week. She made the decision, several months ago, to donate her body, with her family's support. I would definitely consider it. I've never understood why anyone would want to be embalmed and buried in a box - talk about undignified!

I am. Never thought about not being one. I'm being cremated, so no use for the parts that might still work to be converted to ash when they could help someone else. To each their own, so I can understand why some might not - but I will.

David

There's a terrible shortage for organs, and the fact that you want money or dignity is wrong...just do a good thing.

cause capitalism is the devil!

Why do ~40-50% of Americans sign up for organ donation, yet less than 10% give blood? Because blood donation is also unpaid, and time = money, right? I really do think compensation should be explored as a solution to organ shortages. It's not like the medical professionals completing the transplant aren't benefiting financially from the organ donation

dollar dollar bills, y'all

^I totally disagree with you on why people don't give more blood. It's not a money issue, it's a pain issue! I'm a wuss, I hate shots and blood and would never do it if I didn't have to. I never get a flu shot, tetanus shot, etc. And these are things that could help me!

I'm all for organs though as I'll be dead and won't feel pain!

I rarely give blood (unless there is a SEVERE shortage around) because I have to lie on the questionairre. I know that my blood is drug and disease free (been tested regularly since I was in my 20's), but they still have the "gay" question on there. I still occasionally donate, as I have a fairly rare blood type, but I personally don't like having to lie about myself to be able to help others.

I did sell blood plasma my freshman year in college to support my beer habit (mom and dad cut me off )

Sorry about the aside - I'm still an organ doner.

We donate through the American Red Cross and they are frequently very rude, disorganized and incompetent. I actually asked to be on the blood drive committee at my hospital specifically to see if things could be done better. They have gotten slightly better but I just do not understand how that organization functions.

I agree with what Elissa says about donating blood, a lot of people are not able to or are uncomfortable with the process. I frequently will try to donate but my hemoglobin will be too low. My dad came to my work to donate last month and the wait was 2 hours to even start so he had to leave. My friend's poor arm was butchered and bruised by one of the techs so she is afraid to donate anymore. My mom felt faint and they refused to stop until she actually fainted so she won't donate anymore.

Not sure if you guys know this but organizations can sponsor blood drives and get money for them. My hospital not only gets to keep any blood donated here but we also get $20 per unit for the blood. My church has blood drives and for every person they get to donate they get $20. Our missions teams use this to raise funds.