TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Man dies after falling off La Qua's 'Spinning Coaster'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/man-dies-after-falling-off-roller-coaster/story-e6frf7jx-1225997080067

A 34-year-old man died after falling off a roller coaster at a popular amusement park in Tokyo in the third incident there in three months, officials have confirmed.

The man fell from a four-seat vehicle on the Spinning Coaster Maihime (Dancing Princess) when it reached a curve some eight metres above the ground.

Police suspected the man, whose name was not immediately released, might have failed to properly lock himself into the ride at the Tokyo Dome City Attractions park with a safety bar.

At the same park in November, a female worker had three of her fingers cut off when she was inspecting a motor in a vertical drop ride, a park official said.

In December, a small girl was slightly injured when a bolt came off another roller coaster and hit her, she added.

Edited by ernierocker

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously we'll have to wait for additional information to be released, but you would have to suspect that the man was fooling around/trying to stand up/etc, since it seems pretty hard to just "fall out" of a wild mouse, even if you had no lap bar at all.

^I do find that a little odd, especially since these have been around for a few years without anything like this happening. It probably has to do with the outward facing seating allowing people to be a bit more vulnerable if anything funny is happening with the restraint, whether they have too much wiggle room or are being dumb or even some type of funky mechanical incident with the restraint.

I've only ridden a couple of these (Waldameer, and Sea Breeze) but in no way felt insecure so this is very odd.

^I don't recall reading about that one. It sucks when these things happen. Maurer may have to look into their restraint system if it is indeed the same thing that happened twice.

Dixie Landin's Extreme, Maurer Spinning coaster threw someone off last summer, they were fatally wounded.

And now La Qua's Spinning coaster has thrown someone off...

Didn't Dragon's Fury at Chessington have some issues with the restraints not too long ago?

It could be the manufacturer's fault but then again, seeing the park's accident record in the past six months this doesn't come as a surprise... BTW, anyone familiar with this park's operations knows if they check restraints before dispatching trains?

^ All three times I visited the park they checked the restraints. It would be interesting to see how big this guy was. I know when I rode it, I would have no problem staying in the car even if the restraints came open.

Edited by gisco

"The first time is happenstance; second time is coincidence; third time is enemy action"

Of course, I don't think there's any enemy action here, I just don't think it can be truly considered a Maurer problem rather than a rider problem until either an investigation is conducted or more incidents occur. That said, it is a very sad occurrence.

This park (along with most of Japan) is extremely safety conscious.

That's been my impression as well. I've been to Tokyo Dome City several times and while I'm certainly no expert in the matter, nothing there ever struck me as unsafe or unprofessional. The rides seemed well maintained, the employees always seemed attentive and focused, and operations were carried out in an orderly manner. Each time I visited, I enjoyed it very much and walked away wishing that Manhattan had something similar right in the middle of the city.

Wow, sad news. My condolences to the victim's family and friends... and also to the park. Three incidents in three months? That's quite a blow and must be hard to recover from. Some terrible luck.

^I don't recall reading about that one. It sucks when these things happen. Maurer may have to look into their restraint system if it is indeed the same thing that happened twice.

It's important to note that the statement suggests that this was user error. It's obviously too early to tell but if this is the case then it can't really be blamed on the ride company.

It doesn't matter how good the restraints are if an idiot doesn't use it properly...

Dave

^if it really was the fault of the man that was thrown off, then I don't see why there would be any reason to keep it closed for any length of time after inspections.

It's always sad news when something like this happens. I hope the park can make a quick recovery after having multiple incidents in a short period of time.