TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Happy Valley Shenzhen: update on Shangrila Snowfield

I never really thought about the length of the launch, but you're right - it was really short. Unfortunately I just missed them launching it and by the time I got to the station area they were out doing track work (you can see this a bit in the last shot)

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went in mid September and the ride was still not open. We asked when it would be open and they said they didn't know.

If I have time I might head back before the end of the year, but the Shenzhen-Hong Kong border is a disaster so I try to avoid it as much a spossible

It only took us 35 minutes to cross the border in May - not bad at all!

nice! but my question to you now is what day was it? I crossed into sze on saturday and back to hk on sunday and it was horrible. I didn't have much choice on the days though.

also, lots of pickpockets hanging around the border area. my friend went this past weekend and got her cell phone pickpocketed. she had it in the front pocket of her sweatshirt but it wasn't zippered. next thing she knew someone took it. it was one of the $20 ones though so no big deal

• 3 months later...

I stopped by Happy Valley three weeks ago and the ride is on the park maps and there are photos of it, but it still hasn't opened. I told them they were taking entirely too long to open it and that I was not going to pay the entrance fee until they did open it. OCT did the same thing with the wooden coaster at Knight Valley. It had test runs in January of 2011 and it didn't open until July.

I don't think that it's a trend with the coasters - it's probably a trend with the parks. That coaster has had trains on the track since the middle of 2011! S&S probably "handed the coaster over" to the park back last year.

Edited by A.J.

I don't think that it's a trend with the coasters - it's probably a trend with the parks.

I was referring more to Ring Racer but your right. I just don't know why Chinese Parks don't want to open coasters that are ready. (At least I think this one is ready)

China has a brand new rides safety government organization. They are learning and taking time to make sure rides are actually safe and they understand what these rides do, how they should be run, and how they should be maintained. Having personally visited several unsafe rides and parks in the country, I say give them all the time they need!!!!

I recall Chris Gray and I believe S&S commenting on the process of installing a ride in China and the guidelines they have to adhere to etc... completely different that here in the states. I've seen the ride in these videos and looks like it made complete test runs, theme looks ready etc... I was just wondering. Again I hope to see a pov soon. Just like I was looking to see if there were videos of the trains racing through the High 5 element in wuhan.

I remember hearing somewhere that they had to redesign a bit of the ride by almost a foot in some places due to g testing showing it having overly high g's, I might be misremembering or just passing on a rumor but it seems plausible due to the sheer amount of time it's been since the ride was finished.

I really think this ride looks great. It looks way better than the other Happy Valley S&S launch coaster and better than Powder Keg as well. I hope we can see more like it in America, but honestly if they build these anywhere else I will be happy just to know they're out there!

I really think this ride looks great. It looks way better than the other Happy Valley S&S launch coaster and better than Powder Keg as well. I hope we can see more like it in America, but honestly if they build these anywhere else I will be happy just to know they're out there!

We'll probably start seeing them in the US when we see if they're successful and reliable or not. Other than powder keg, S&S aren't necessarily 'experts' when it comes to making reliable launch coasters. I really do hope S&S did something right with these, because I love the layouts way more than most other launch coasters!

LSM/LIM launch coasters are the future. I honestly don't see Intamin/S&S selling a lot of the "Mechanically" (IE: Hydraulic or Compressed Air) launched coasters anymore either. LSM/LIM coasters offer greater reliability.

I think the S&S systems work great (as long as they aren't trying to break records) and the Fly wheel system that Zamperla uses is also very reliable. Using electro-magnets takes a lot more power then the other two systems. The hydraulic launch however, does seem to be the most costly one out of them all, but if a park wants that power, that's the system to use.

They all have pros and cons though.

^My bad, yea I forgot about the Zamperla flywheel launch. Especially sad because I operated 2 flywheel launched coasters for 3 years! Zamperla flywheel launch is extremely reliable but the power isn't there. Hydraulic launched coasters have unmatched power but reliability is greatly reduced.