TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Taking my sister on her 1st coaster adventure!

caflybois

Hey everyone,

So growing up in Hawai'i, you don't ever really have a chance to go coaster hopping and riding as easily as everyone else.... My sister wants to on a "I'm 21, let's go on a coaster trip" and spend a week riding rides, seeing the "mainland" etc etc

We are looking at 5/21/2011-5/28/2011.... Airfare isn't a problem (joys of being a flight attendant) but were looking for advice on hotels, what parks should be her first experience, etc (she did go to 6 flags GA on her senior year trip, but was sick and couldn't ride anything)

any and all advice on parks and such would be mucho appreciated!

aloha

justin "caflybois"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, she wants to go Memorial Day weekend cause thats her actual "21st" bday, im afraid of crowds, typically, is that weekend crazy at most parks?

Memorial Weekend will probably be the busiest time at a lot of parks, especially SFMM since they are opening new rides those days.

^ Yeah. Memorial day weekend is usually a doubly whammy because of what Elissa and JJ728 said. If the park you choose has a q-bot option or similar though you could just get that. On the cost of the whole trip it's not really that much more

Dave

@Sidra, we are skipping Disney, she def wants to go straight to the "big boy" rides... and any part of the country works, I was thinking SfMM, CP, maybe SfGA ....

All three of those parks have lots of large "big boy" coasters. CP and SFGA have the higher rated coasters though. Millenium Force was rated top steel coaster in the world for 2010, TTD, Magnum, and Maverick and the Raptor are all highly rated as well. At SFGA, El Toro is arguably the best woodie in the world, rated #2 for 2010. Nitro and Kingda Ka are really highly rated too. SFMM does have some new and improved stuff coming this year though, but you will have to contend with the crowds for Superman and the new Zack-Spin. It's really up to you. SoCal has other parks around closer by so that's something to consider. Any one of those choices will get you some crazy coaster action. Whatever you end up choosing, have fun!

EDIT:

^ Yeah. Memorial day weekend is usually a doubly whammy because of what Elissa and JJ728 said. If the park you choose has a q-bot option or similar though you could just get that. On the cost of the whole trip it's not really that much more

Dave

Would Q-Bot be available for Superman and the Zack-Spin during opening week?

@Sidra, we are skipping Disney, she def wants to go straight to the "big boy" rides... and any part of the country works, I was thinking SfMM, CP, maybe SfGA ....

All three of those parks have lots of large "big boy" coasters. CP and SFGA have the higher rated coasters though. Millenium Force was rated top steel coaster in the world for 2010, TTD, Magnum, and Maverick and the Raptor are all highly rated as well. At SFGA, El Toro is arguably the best woodie in the world, rated #2 for 2010. Nitro and Kingda Ka are really highly rated too. SFMM does have some new and improved stuff coming this year though, but you will have to contend with the crowds for Superman and the new Zack-Spin. It's really up to you. SoCal has other parks around closer by so that's something to consider. Any one of those choices will get you some crazy coaster action. Whatever you end up choosing, have fun!

EDIT:

Dave

Would Q-Bot be available for Superman and the Zack-Spin during opening week?

Probably for an additional charge like X2 is. Superman I would think would be with the standard Flash Pass, if not then it would come with the Gold one with no extra charge. I can almost guarantee that the Green Lantern (ZacSpin) will be an additional charge with a Gold Flash Pass (meaning you can't pay for it when you have a standard one, you need a gold one plus the charge).

If I had to give my opinion on which parks are a must to visit....

any of the Disney and Universal Parks. Cedar Point (obvious). SFMM. Knobels. Busch Gardens Williamsburg & Tampa. Hershey Park. Dollywood.

KD,

I agree with your list. This is a such a unique situation to come across, as obviously we want to impress your sis caflybois. Instead of just speculating why don't we just bite the bullet and make a decision. I would go to CP for sure. Why not just go straight to the holy land?

Was actually surprised at how much fun I had in Orlando too when I was forced to go with the aging parents last year...

I really am down to SFGA, SFMM and CP.... We can do WDW anytime (and since I was once a castmember, my sis is cool with passing it over this trip) Thank you to everyone who chipped in their 2cents

I kinda want CP cause that was my first "big boy" park, and then in college i got to work there as well, so for me CP just has that "it" factor ya know!?

I kinda want CP cause that was my first "big boy" park, and then in college i got to work there as well, so for me CP just has that "it" factor ya know!?

Well, if you've been to CP, then I'd go to SFMM for sure (since it would be your first time there, right?)

JJ728 - no ive been to just about all the "big" parks, its my sis that hasnt been anywhere.... for me personally i wanna do the holiday world and then the int'l parks now, but I kinda wanna give my sister that really cool first big ride experience!

JJ728 - no ive been to just about all the "big" parks, its my sis that hasnt been anywhere.... for me personally i wanna do the holiday world and then the int'l parks now, but I kinda wanna give my sister that really cool first big ride experience!

Ok, then CP is your best bet.

If you are doing strictly a "Coaster" trip and flights aren't a problem, I honestly wouldn't come to CA. The parks are too spread out and to be honest, while SFMM and Knott's have a high number of coasters, there really aren't that many "great" coasters.

I'd go with possibly Pennsylvania, you can do SFGAdv, Hershey, Dorney, Knoebels, etc. Or you can do Ohio and do Cedar Point, Kings Island, etc.

Another option would be TX, you can do Six Flags Over TX, Sea World San Antonio and Six Flags Fiesta TX ... and if you like waterparks there is Schlitterbahn.

On Memorial weekend I would try to visit parks that have some sort of "skip the line" option, so this would be Six Flags parks. Not sure if all of them have it now or not.