TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Orlando 2011

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe I spent my 10 minute break reading this thread...best 10 minute break ever! Messed up but funny at the same time. Definitely I'd say to let it be a lesson to be learned: Don't be an idiot towards your fellow members if they want to help you...it will only turn around and bite you in the butt. With this said, for future reference it is probably not a good idea to get on TPR's bad side.

In the reality sense, (I'm now finally posting my 2¢) it baffles me how after hearing so many compliments about 'good photos' that when one critiques it, they get booty tickled. Honestly, If I were to watermark my photos (which really I have no need to watermark here, it is all posted here to share with everyone) I would keep it small, simple and in the lower corner much like signing a piece of artwork. Plus, to me, watermarks do nothing. I can easily photoshop them out if I really wanted a photo that bad...which I'm sure we all could do the same if we really wanted. So in the longrun, watermarks are useless unless you want to completely obscure your image and take away from it (much like what the pro photographer sites do, I've still been able to photoshop out marks from there too).

Moral of the story: Watermarks suck, they are only another obstacle for those who really want to use a photo for us to conquer. If you are an amateur photographer, take the criticism. That's how we all learn. Taking many design classes in school I have had many "Ooh, that looks cool" and then suddenly a "Uh...this would be an amazing piece if only you put this here instead of there" or a "Remove that, it does not help your image." Being mature, I didn't storm out of the class room. I took what they said to put to use for future references, and to even fix the critiqued work just for my own personal enjoyment. And they were right. After making the fix, the artwork was much better.

Or in closer terms to TPR, Robb, I hope you don't mind me posting this - the message you sent me about my 'special' donkey during the twitter background design contest. If so, feel free to edit it it out as it was a PM. Anyway, Robb sent me a PM in regards to a cartoonified donkey I spent a couple days on, stating:

I'm going have to be brutally honest here. Your donkey character is not up to the quality level of anything we would use. I don't want you to waste anymore time on something we would say no to. Sorry.

No, I did not turn around and become a total idiot and throw a tantrum about it. I simply looked at the positive and asked what kind of stuff they would like to see...I didn't get offended by Robb's opinion as much as this character started to grow on me. So now my donkey just lives in the depths of my hard drive. And I thank Robb for the critique so I wouldn't waste anymore time going the wrong direction.

Like they say, "What doesn't hurt us only makes us stronger" and I'm a firm believer of that. It's not like people were just downright saying ", your trip report sucked" without giving any reason why it sucked.

Tempted to watermark a photo but I think I may be nice.... eh, maybe not!

©2011 Angry_Gumball - This text may not be duplicated in any form including the use of quotes.

CFTrashcanMtgWM.jpg.d5e269b61c95b10d8a4729661aa8c734.jpg

Edited by Angry_Gumball

In the reality sense, (I'm now finally posting my 2¢) it baffles me how after hearing so many compliments about 'good photos' that when one critiques it, they get booty tickled. If you are an amateur photographer, take the criticism. That's how we all learn. Taking many design classes in school I have had many "Ooh, that looks cool" and then suddenly a "Uh...this would be an amazing piece if only you put this here instead of there" or a "Remove that, it does not help your image." Being mature, I didn't storm out of the class room. I took what they said to put to use for future references, and to even fix the critiqued work just for my own personal enjoyment. And they were right. After making the fix, the artwork was much better.

Or in closer terms to TPR, Robb, I hope you don't mind me posting this - the message you sent me about my 'special' donkey during the twitter background design contest. If so, feel free to edit it it out as it was a PM. Anyway, Robb sent me a PM in regards to a cartoonified donkey I spent a couple days on, stating:

I'm going have to be brutally honest here. Your donkey character is not up to the quality level of anything we would use. I don't want you to waste anymore time on something we would say no to. Sorry.

No, I did not turn around and become a total idiot and throw a tantrum about it. I simply looked at the positive and asked what kind of stuff they would like to see...I didn't get offended by Robb's opinion as much as this character started to grow on me. So now my donkey just lives in the depths of my hard drive. And I thank Robb for the critique so I wouldn't waste anymore time going the wrong direction.

Like they say, "What doesn't hurt us only makes us stronger" and I'm a firm believer of that.

I'm actually glad you posted that because it's a very good point. You know, I thought about how to send that email to you for quite some time, and I thought to myself "You know, I'm just going to be honest with the guy, and hope he takes it ok." I'm not known for having a filter, and I'm not known for sugar coating anything. I didn't get to where I was by people babying me. I knew damn well the risk of sending you that and having you throw a hissy fit and bailing on the site. But I took that risk because we're all mature adults and should be able to accept some constructive feedback.

I'm glad to see you had testicles in your sac.

--Robb "Can't say the same for Invertalon." Alvey

@Angry Gumball- William Danjou... I'm going to take this one step further than Robb did. I think your post exemplifies what this thread is about. If we can't take criticism, we are at fault for being obstinant. If we can't laugh at ourselves, then we are lying to ourself about our own importance. I salute you Mr. Gumball.

Chris "The State of TPR" Connolly

PS. I really should have watermarked the above quotes.

What Robb said. Not everything in life is going to be sugar-coated. In he had it easy and wasn't as 'blunt' as the message I received. But I'm not going to let 1 criticism wreck my day, or my relationship/membership with TPR. Sure, it wasn't the most pleasant thing to see but after a minute of thinking about it, it chimed in and I thought "Well, TPR does have a good point. It really isn't their style and the donkey did look a little 'special' (according to what Wes pointed out). They don't want me to keep wasting time on something that wouldn't be used anyway." So mentally, I took it as a 'challange' to see what I can whip up for TPR that could have potential.

And in the professional world of design, not everyone is going to be amazed at anyone's work whether if it's design, or photography. For the most part, people will be amazed but there will always be critiques/revisions/imperfections. Perhaps, that member shouldn't pursue a career in photography if they can't take any criticism. Personally, I always like to have someone critique my work. If I don't see anything, then I get a little concerned that maybe no one is really looking at it or quickly skimming by...the reality is that I know my work is not perfect and would be pleased to have a handful of people to critique things as it will only help me in the long run, and not being a personal attack.

As a random note, this has been a very interesting month for TPR, and probably one of the most active...we've had the Santa Claw, Geauga Lake's Dipper fiasco, and Watermarks.

Another random note: I like how it now reads "Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Watermarks." At a first glance especially if I'm half awake, it looks like "Waterparks."

I just have to say that sitting here, 3000 miles away from home; cold, miserable and lonely - THIS THREAD HAS MADE MY DAY!!!

Chris - A) I really like your Potterland Photo and it is (if I'm not mistaken) the only picture of Orlando on this thread, and B) I saw your Invertalon Meme Generator thread on Facebook at lunch and had to laugh about it, then look up this thread.

Good job sir!

David