TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Orlando 2011

Sorry, but all images have been removed.

ADMIN EDIT: Please read page 4 and you can see why this guy got all butt hurt and removed his photos. Personally, we think it's a real "douchebag" move of the guy, but you'll see on Page 4 what all went down.

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Pics. I was there on 1/20 too! Based on your pics and my day I was shocked to see anybody at the park! I thought for sure nobody would be there. Looks like you had to wait a bit for stuff in HP I still got to walk on that. I didn't get there till 3:30 though so most of the park cleared out.

Have fun with the rest of your trip!

WW1,

I went to the parks for an entire week, so had plenty of time to get on everything! A few days the stuff in HP was walkon (along with rest of the park) but for the most part it really was not busy at all outside of HP. I only rode Forbidden Journey twice though, as the screen sequences made me very sick (never that much on a ride before). Too bad, the rest of the ride was awesome. I just wish the whole ride could of had "real" scenes and none of the out of focus screen parts

I just uploaded 180+ IOA pics to my Flickr last night... I will throw up more on here in later updates, but for those who would want to see them now... I should have Universal uploaded later today as well.

Thanks for the compliments!

I always enjoy looking at your work. Great images, and excellent quality. With that said, I hope you don't mind a little constructive criticism. Those copyright watermarks are really distracting to the eye, and they greatly take away from the overall shot. I understand the reasoning for them, but perhaps a less intrusive size or positioning could be achieved? I just hate to see nice work "interrupted" like that.

Still, there's a handful of top notch photographers on here that I admire, and you're certainly in that group!

Edited by BeemerBoy

I answered that in my opening post ^

As far as the watermark... I know they can be annoying and I try to make them small enough to not be distracting, but not small enough that they can be easily edited out and such as well. There is a LOT of photo theft out there, and if somebody wants to buy a photo or ask permission for one, I would be happy to reduce the size or eliminate it all together. For for general viewing, I just prefer to keep it on there. There is a lot of time put into these photos, and the last thing I want is somebody to steal them.

I will look into making it less obtrusive though for future uploads.

^ You know, I went back through 'em and realized that I think it's basically the ones with the larger font that bothered me the most. When it comes to watermarks, I generally tend to prefer them in corners rather than across the bottom....but again, that's just my personal opinion. Trust me though, I totally understand why they're there. It's your time, money, and effort invested, so definitely stick to whatever you feel most comfortable with. In the end, the pictures still speak for themselves!

You know, I wondered the same thing. My previous watermark in Lightroom was always the same size regardless of orientation of the photo. When I changed/updated it, I may of changed some scaling or something because the landscape ones are so much larger than the portrait orientation. I will for sure look into fixing that!

Haha thanks! Yeah, I know many are on the border of being over exposed, but many I did like that to pull out some more detail from the shadows along with color. I am still tweaking the images a bit, but with school starting I will probably have less time to edit the some 2,300 images I have! So I rushed a little bit... On my calibrated monitor though they look good, a little bright on some but the light was harsh on some days so the sky is totally blown out. Still working on them though Next up is more IOA and Tampa Zoo!

Edited by Invertalon

From what I saw because they would not all load on the current PC I am on (IPad) ...amazing photos! Off to FLickr I go because they loaded there! .

OK, looking at them on FLickr...holy cow I am hooked! I am done with TPR for the night. Your photo stream will entertain me now! Lol

Nice Pics! What is so bad about Rockit? The brakes can be annoying but why is it so horrendous? Yeah Intamin probably was the better choice and this doesn't really seem to be a B&M style project then again neither was the hulk so they might have made a better ride but, I think it is still a solid ride.

Great pics.. I really enjoyed them. As others have mentioned though, the watermarks are intrusive and you should probably recalibrate your white point.

Just my opinion, but Universal is photographed so frequently that photo theft is unlikely and the likely hood of actually selling these is minimal. At the TPR specified 800x600 they can't be used for any commercial use other than reposting on websites, so I'd just remove the watermarks and post them unprocessed.

Chris "encourages anyone to steal anything I've ever posted" Connolly

My white point is fine, and the monitor was just re-calibrated prior to editing. I do agree some still need adjustment, and I just did re-edit some of the Universal and IOA ones that needed it and reuploaded the edits to flickr. But like I said, I rushed through to get them done quickly as school was starting so I did not get to take the time I wanted. The reason some may be bright is because I slightly overexpose all my images when shot, to get more detail from the shadow areas. In post-editing, I bring the exposure back down. Leaving me with less noise, more image detail, and more editing power. I just did not have them all complete prior to uploading on here. My Flickr page like I said, the exposures have been further edited bringing down the brightness on a few of the images.

And the watermark is staying. They are not that bad to look beyond, honestly. And you are right that theft of these photos are unlikely, true, but it is just in my workflow for all my images. And I am adjusting it to be less bothersome in the images. The first set was quite bad in size but has been adjusted since! I would re-edit the ones I have posted here, but the upload process is a pain on this website so it is not worth the hassle

Edited by Invertalon

Great pics. It's like looking at a brochure for the park! Also a fan of the side streets of Universal and the details that have gone into the environments. Really completes the sense of immersion.

Honestly, the parks themselves are vivid. I really did little to no saturation adjustments for 95% of my photos beyond my default settings.

The key to these photos, is known as "ETTR" or exposing to the right. Basically, using exposure compensation as your "main exposure tool" while taking the photo, you overexpose them. You pull out more detail this way in your RAW image. You get brighter colors and more detail in the shadow areas this way. In post-editing, you bring the exposure down, as well as play with the highlight, brightness, darkness and shadow sliders to get a balanced image. Using this method usually yields bright, vivid colors and nice dark shadow areas. But like I said before, I really did not push the color saturation on almost any of these. Proper exposure does most of the work, and you have to be in control of your camera if you want that (not in AUTO mode)... The best method is either "Manual" or "Aperture Priority" for the most control. To be a little more complex, you really need to pay attention to the image histogram if you have one on your camera, this shows the balance of dark to light areas in the image, as well as any clipping on either end (where you lose all detail in the highlights or shadows, usually non-recoverable in editing). This is what I use 95% of the time when reviewing my images after I taken them, and the only true way to check if your exposure is good. As the LCD is never all that accurate, especially in the sun and various light conditions. But to summarize, overexpose the image without clipping highlights, bring the exposure down in editing and finally do level adjustment to get the look you want. This is basically how I do it, among other adjustments (white balance, cropping, recovery, noise reduction and sharpness).

I will try to answer any further questions if you have any.

Appreciate the compliments!

Still, there's a handful of top notch photographers on here that I admire, and you're certainly in that group!

I couldn't agree more. I was one of those people that couldn't wait and checked out Flickr... MORE PLEASE! lol. Thanks for sharing!!!!

I am curious how you like the Tokina lens. I was thinking of bringing my Sigma 24-70mm (I have a D90) and Hanno encouraged me to bring my Tamron 70-300mm. I have had no luck with people shots on rides to date. But through the last year, I have learned a lot, and shoot mostly on Aperture priority. I actually am just starting to use the -/+ for some corrections, but am not sure how this will effect my final product yet. Your shots at f2.8 ... those are the type of shots I live for these days! (DROOOOL!) I am debating if I should bump up my saturation at all though. Since the parks are so vivid to begin with, I may not need to. I guess it will depend on the sky each day though. I have yet to get BLUE skies on my visits lately. As much as I like the diffused light, I am not shooting portraits.

What watermark? Maybe I am just trained to look past them. I don't even see them after the first few. I personally like them all. We are all "artists" and take pictures how we envision them. Post process how we envision. [scratch this part...I quoted something earlier before I read the above, but I will leave it here. (I am still curious though, did you bump up saturation at all in post?)] AND OMG... all in RAW? I actually try not to shoot in RAW anymore, except under certain situations. So much time... I couldn't handle it at the rate I take pictures. Do you really process them allll (2300+) from RAW files? Props!

Definitely keep the updates coming! I love all the details!!!!

Did I mention I love all the details?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind compliments!

I really enjoy my Tokina... You can't beat the performance for the price. I got my 12-24mm for just over $300, and I could not be happier. I also tried out the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 but only had it a week or so, because the price did not justify it over the 12-24 honestly at the time. I am now thinking about trying it once again though, as I would of loved just a tad wider or even the faster lens this trip...

Exposure compensation is extremely important! Some of my shots I used as high as +2 stop with my wide angle, as the sky really underexposes the foreground. I base my adjustment off the histogram, most importantly. Telephoto lenses need less adjustment as the subject usually fills most of the frame, but same idea!

In lightroom, I only have my default adjustment on saturation to about +4 I believe, and Vibrance at +3? Very minor! The camera JPEG's probably apply more than I do from RAW. The parks are so bright and vivid, very little is needed. Just try to expose the best you can and they should be vivid enough!

As far as the blue skies, have you tried a circular polarizing filter? They are the best tool to get rich, blue skies... Along with reducing reflections on metallic objects and glare. They help a ton! I would recommend trying one out if you can! The B+W and Hoya multi-coated filters are some of the best that I have used.

And yes, all my shots were in RAW. Lightroom makes it so simple to process the images... Just import all the raw files, do your editing (or assign a default adjustment to all of them) and export when complete. It will resize, add watermarks, etc... It will even do lens corrections (distortion, vignetting, color fringing, etc...) Processing ANY file from RAW will look MUCH superior to the out-of-camera JPEG image. Even if you do not touch the default adjustments... They will be sharper, have more dynamic range, less noise, etc... The list goes on! It is a must IMO! Have you tried lightroom at all? You can try it free for 30 days, and if you are student you can get a real nice discount on the cost of it. Lightroom can also export directly to Flickr for you, makes it SO easy!

My next update should be tomorrow hopefully! My flickr page has almost all my chosen photos up at this point... Almost! I will for sure have more up throughout this week

Thanks again! Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be glad to help at all!

I'm in the camp that says you take good pictures, but am completely distracted by the awful water mark. It really ruins your otherwise decent photos. When I look at your update, my eyes are instantly drawn to the water mark, and not really the content of the photo you are posting. I'd recommend removing it completely.

Edited by robbalvey