TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

International Television...

A.J.

It makes me wonder why international television is so much better than United States television.

Or is it? Is it an accepted notion that international TV is better than ours?

I personally think international TV is worlds better than what we have. I watch TopGear on the BBC all the time.

What do you think? Your favorite international shows?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea for a topic!

I *LOVE* Come Dine With Me which is a British show. My tv is pretty much on BBC America half of the day! Between Top Gear, Doctor Who, and all the other random shows it's pretty interesting.

Japanese television is also awesome. Their game shows and variety shows are just insane.

Here in the U.S., we're so busy trying not to offend anyone, so our shows are dumbed down. Other countries "get it." They're able to laugh at themselves and encourage others to do the same.

When we watch TV at the in-laws, it's often the Japanese language stuff---much of it from Japan. And it's far more entertaining than the crap we have here.

Just my two yen...

Eric

BBC America is the channel I miss most from when I had Directv - I think the only channels I watched more were ESPN and Comedy Central. I wish we could get more European channels. We watched some Japanese tv one morning in Vegas last month, that was endlessly entertaining as well, that is my only Asian tv experience other than MXC

I like some of the BBC content, especially their documentaries and comedies. Their news shows are solid as well. Still, it's difficult for me to conclude that foreign countries have "better" TV when such a huge percentage of foreign TV, in my experience, is just American shows subtitled or dubbed into the local language.

I miss British television. My biggest concern at Christmas time was getting to watch the Doctor Who special.

I love Come Dine With Me, and a Canadian version started at some point. It's really irritating. In the English one it's accepted that every one is getting drunk and nothing is mention. The announcer for the Canadian one tries really hard to hammer in the fact that they are drinking. No subtly what so ever.

I guess Walking Dead counts as international for me and that was (mostly) awesome.

I dont actually watch much TV anymore. We dont own one now at all so the only TV we get is iplayer, or the on demand services of channel 4 and 5.

Family Guy is really the only international show I watch (Im in UK). Robot chicken if I can find it. Other than that, its all local stuff. Top Gear (of course, who doesnt). Some of the stand up stuff thats getting popular again in the UK, we also like living history shows like Victorian/edwardian farm and the like.

Much of the Brit crew seem to cream themselves over the Apprentice.

A little side note about Top Gear. Having lived both sides of the pond now, the edits shown on the two sides of the atlantic can be quite different. They cut it down on BBC America to make time for commercials, and not surprisingly its usualy the stuff thats not so kind about americans that ends up chopped. Then again, it is Clarkson and as far as he is concerned, everyone and everything is fair game. Quite right too.

The only international show I watch is Doctor Who which I have really gotten into. I find it be a good combination of a smart, well thought out show with great (sometimes confusing) plots and aliens and other nerdy stuff but also with some witty and funny things thrown in. I've become a bit obsessed as of late spending lots of time learning about it and having hours of it recorded thanks to two very long marathons on BBCAmerica!