TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

The only bitching that I have about this coaster, is that it's not closer to me.

Same haha, but then again I realise we're getting an intamin hyper, another mack launch and a themed 170 foot dive coaster in 2018.

And you'll probably get something good at Michigans Adventure within the next 2.. well maybe 20 years.

On the bright side at least it seems like everyone besides the one temporary banned complainer here is really happy about this announcement.

To his defense

Hi Henry M.

This announcement really took my by surprise because this looks like a very un-American coaster. Some have already drawn comparisons to the sister over at Grona Land. What a unique lokking action packed ride!

I've already had this park on the bucket list due to the Skycoaster, but I'd totally visit for this ride. I'm glad they chose GG - now Fun Spot will have a sterling reputation not just GCI and Vekoma, but also GG. A bright future for Fun Spot!

Hi Henry M.

I just felt like I wanted to calm down the anger in the discussion by trying to show maybe his side of things, since he couldn't defend himself. Even though I'm pretty sure you're just joking; no, I'm not Henry, and I don't know him either. I understand how I could've annoyed some people by doing that and that it was stupid to poke my nose in, but I just wanted the heat to disappear.

Kindest regards,

-A swede who's actually new to these forums

PS. I also think it reminds me a bit of Twister, although I've only ridden it once because of the lines and I have no memory on my experience on it, but I'll ride it this summer again.

Okay...I've tried to find something to answer this, so forgive me if there is one out there...what happens to the Screamin' Swing as a result of this ride? Does it find a new home elsewhere in the park? Does it get removed entirely?

Okay...I've tried to find something to answer this, so forgive me if there is one out there...what happens to the Screamin' Swing as a result of this ride? Does it find a new home elsewhere in the park? Does it get removed entirely?

I wasn't sure of this either since the rendering is unclear but based on a live video they did I think it might be staying where it is. I don't think they ever mentioned the ride specifically but they showed the Go Kart tracks that are already being removed and implied that they were the only rides being removed for the coaster.

It sounds like during IAPPA they had a custom, Freedom Flyer-specific VR movie that they were showing off. I'm going with that... sorry guys. Personally though I think Freedom Flyer is a perfect choice for VR as long as it's optional.

Edited by coasterbill

Yeah, the VR system that they stuck on Freedom Flyer during the week of the Expo last year was really popular. It made the waits for the front rows of seats virtually nonexistent, but you ended up sitting in the seat doing nothing until the VR people were situated.

I have been on a VR coaster, Revolution at Magic Mountain, and also a coaster very similar to Freedom Flyer, Steel Lasso at Frontier City. The limited seating arrangement for this is a great idea to keep lines going. Keep it optional, and let people wait if they want to experience it. This coaster type and layout are actually really good for VR; lots of possibilities, and the coaster isn't so intense that bracing or anticipating turns is necessary. This could be very good for them.

Freedom Flyer is the perfect coaster for VR. Lines are rarely an issue and it will easily improve the ride experience because (while fun), it's a forgettable ride. This is a great idea. I don't like VR when it negatively impacts the experience for those that don't want to use it by creating excessive wait times but that's not likely to happen here.

I'm just so done with the VR craze. For those that are fans of it, I'm sure this'll be one of the better VR coasters. But it seems like VR is just the latest gimmick that everyone wants to jump on for the few years (or months) that it's relevant. To me, it's just a cheap way to trick the GP into thinking that their home park has a "new" VR coaster. If they were building rides that were built around VR, then I might be interested. But you want me to wait in a longer line to strap a volume-less helmet to my face and experience a sub-standard story line told with early PS3-level graphics? I'll pass.

I agree with everything you just said for a lot of parks, but Freedom Flyer is almost never going to have any line whatsoever so it's really not a big deal. It might slow down dispatches a tiny bit but that's it. This is also at a pay per ride park (though the majority of people do have wristbands) so it's in their best interests to dispatch trains quickly.

^^I tend to look at it the opposite way... The technology is still in its infancy, so the graphics and immersion of current VR coaster experiences appears to underwhelm most given the video standards (even for 360 footage) today... That being said, I find that the offering being optional as opposed to mandatory should quell most detractor's complaints as they are by no means forced to partake in the VR experience if they don't want to, preserving the traditional coaster experiences they prefer. As long as the operation is not significantly impacted by this additional option, I don't really see the harm.

At the end of the day, parks could opt to never invest in their existing attractions and let them remain the same until they are retired... What is the harm in plussing a fairly simple family coaster with something that will wow guests. It isn't like a park looks at a VR experience's costs against the costs of building a brand new coaster and goes with the cheaper option. VR additions are relatively inexpensive compared to building entirely new rides--I highly doubt that any park has looked at both as equal. My point being, I don't believe that because a park spends on a VR experience for an existing coaster, they are finding the cheap way out of justifying a new addition to the park that would otherwise cost significantly more.

It's a good idea to put VR on this...not so sold on putting them on Kraken.

Agreed. The VR treatment makes more sense on small family coasters.

(Fun) Spot on. Got to try this during the last IAAPA as well, and it was surprisingly enjoyable. No major worries about reduced capacity, added some thrill element to a ride that needed a bit more thrill, and the virtual reality/real reality synch was solid.

Stoked about the wooden coaster! I'm glad I'll have a reason to return to that area. I miss the rough-around-the-edges charm of Old Town, but I'm happy that Fun Spot (this park and the company) are going strong! And I love me a compact woodie layout.