TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

A friend of mine earned a master's degree and a PhD at Ohio University (he's originally from California, like me). When he was at OU, he kept hearing all the locals raving about White Castle. So he checked one out. The result led him to two possible conclusions:

1. People in Ohio are insane.

2. People in Ohio smoke weed 24/7.

I think either explanation is plausible.

They closed all of the Northeast Ohio locations (there were about four or five in the area) on Christmas Eve last year. I know some of you would think that is the best Christmas present ever.

A friend of mine earned a master's degree and a PhD at Ohio University (he's originally from California, like me). When he was at OU, he kept hearing all the locals raving about White Castle. So he checked one out. The result led him to two possible conclusions:

I'm from Michigan and live in Michigan and everyone hates them. They've been slowly shutting down.

• 4 months later...

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2015/07/02/fun-spot-adds-live-entertainment-announces-an-old-florida-district

Fun Spot recently added new live in-park entertainment at their I-Drive area location. The new puppet and live character entertainment is akin to the Citizens of Hollywood at Hollywood Studios. The new characters are provided by local improv company, Power2Improv. Currently they are only there on Saturdays but other days should be added soon.

The new characters are part of a live children’s show and provide some in-queue entertainment for guests. The addition is interesting as Fun Spot currently features free admission with a per-ride ticketing system. Fun Spot in recent years has been promoting their all day passes and season passes. The online fan community has in recent months speculated that a small admission fee may help security at the park, which did see a shooting earlier this year.

The new live entertainment is part of a larger expansion that Fun Spot is planning. They announced a new water park in 2011 but the area that was planned for the water park recently saw the addition of Gator Spot. At the time of the water park plans also called for moving the Ferris Wheel to the top of the entrance plaza building, a move that was later cancelled as well. The long term plans for the property also included a dinner theater at one point. The dinner theater is now rumored to include the new Power2Improv characters.

Recently new signage in the park stated a new ‘Old Florida District’ themed district would be added to where the water park was originally announced. While no new details have been released the Gator Spot area next door can give us a good idea of what the new area will look like. Among the new additions for the new area it will likely include a new dark ride themed to a trip to Florida. The Florida themed dark ride is part of the larger focus on keeping guest in the park during the afternoon rain showers. Other new rides are rumored to include a second roller coaster, a Dumbo-style spinner and a log flume. The roller coaster will be taller than the other two but with a short ride time. A new hotel is also rumored to be added to the park in the coming years.

The water park will now likely be part of the 12 acre addition across Fun Spot Way from the current park. The water park is still in the plans but the timeline has been pushed back. It is now on track to open around the time of Wet ‘n Wild’s closure.

Sadly none of these additions or rumored additions has been announced for Fun Spot Kissimmee. The live entertainment may make its way to that park if the Orlando park test proves popular. The only other strong rumor for that park is of a larger buy-out by Fun Spot of Old Town, which sits next door.

I was wondering what was going on in the park when I was there in May. I noticed the area between Gatorland and the entrance gate has been cleared and looks to have some pathways marked and leveled out with some infrastructure work also going on. I love how this lil ole place just keeps on adding things. I can't wait to hear when an actual "coming attractions " announcement of what and dates of the new stuff is.

I'm from Michigan and live in Michigan and everyone hates them. They've been slowly shutting down.

Thank goodness! The one in Lansing shut down as well, though they are still all over Detroit. I DO NOT get the allure, though some friends of mine swear by them! Terrible, terrible... whatever you call that crap between the buns!

Oh, and for the record (since this IS the Fun Spot thread), I loved this park (the Orlando one) when I went a couple of years ago! I took my oldest two kids, as well as my sister, and we all had a blast! White Lightning is in my Top 5 wooden coasters, and I could ride that all day (nearly did, got in 18 rides I think!) It was my daughter's first non-kiddie coaster, and she loved it as well - rode it 10+ times herself! I will definitely be back whenever we go to the Orlando area, and getting new additions only makes it more exciting to look forward to!

"The roller coaster will be taller than the other two but with a short ride time"

Hmmmmmm... Premier Skyrocket II?

White Lightning and Freedom Flyer aren't really that tall. There are plenty of shuttle and continuous-circuit coasters with short-ish ride experiences that would fit the bill like a Euro Fighter, El Loco, or even a Vekoma Boomerang.

After seeing numerous members of Fun Spot management at Kentucky Kingdom last year for Lightning Run's opening, I have always thought they would be the next park to build a Chance Hyper GT-X. I feel like that size ride would be appropriate for a park the size of Fun Spot and would pack a punch for how small it is.

Another thought I just had of a coaster type that hasn't gotten much thought lately, but would be a good fit there, would be a coaster similar to Xcelerator at Knotts. It wouldn't even need to be that long, just a Kingda Ka that is around 205 feet. Not only would it be a thrilling coaster, which would attract customers, they would have successfully stolen nearby Sea World's thunder by besting Mako in both height and speed. A coaster like that would take up a small footprint, so it's plausible for that area. Just a thought...

After seeing numerous members of Fun Spot management at Kentucky Kingdom last year for Lightning Run's opening, I have always thought they would be the next park to build a Chance Hyper GT-X. I feel like that size ride would be appropriate for a park the size of Fun Spot and would pack a punch for how small it is.

During IAAPA there were rumors swirling around that they might get a GTX. Hopefully it's true

Another thought I just had of a coaster type that hasn't gotten much thought lately, but would be a good fit there, would be a coaster similar to Xcelerator at Knotts. It wouldn't even need to be that long, just a Kingda Ka that is around 205 feet. Not only would it be a thrilling coaster, which would attract customers, they would have successfully stolen nearby Sea World's thunder by besting Mako in both height and speed. A coaster like that would take up a small footprint, so it's plausible for that area. Just a thought...

Both Stealth & Zaturn are longer than Freedom Flyer, so I really don't see an Intamin of that caliber or price range happening anytime soon.The park also seems to be going for the rumored

Edited by JonnyRCT3

GTX was also mentioned in a trade magazine by fun spot boss as one of the options. But seriously a coaster ,dark ride and log flume. I any uk parks announced just one of these I would be happy.

Go fun spot.

Stu K

Both Stealth & Zaturn are longer than Freedom Flyer, so I really don't see an Intamin of that caliber or price range happening anytime soon.The park also seems to be going for the rumored

The actual article states: "The roller coaster will be taller than the other two but with a short ride time." So, it doesn't actually say shorter than the other two, and it appears to be referring to actual "ride time", as opposed to length of coaster track. Given that Stealth is a 20 second ride, and Freedom Flyer is definitely longer than that, I think a Stealth or Zaturn clone would actually still fit that description quite well!

However, the other part of what you mentioned, the price tag associated with such a coaster, is definitely a factor that I believe would likely preclude such an addition for a small park like Fun Spot. Stealth would have cost just shy of 19 million US dollars, and considering that they are allegedly also adding a log flume, and dark ride, even if they matched their 25 million dollar investment of 2013, that's probably not enough to get a Stealth clone for the rumored roller coaster.

I just thought adding a coaster like that would be a savvy move for them to make to continue to assert themselves in the hyper-competitive Orlando entertainment market, and would be a direct shot across the bow of Sea World, which is nearby. I honestly never really thought it was a likely addition.

FWIW, the other hot rumor, a coaster like Lightning Run, doesn't seem to fit that description at all! It is much longer both in duration, and length, than Freedom Flyer! So, it would seem something more along the lines of a Premier Sky Rocket II is the likely addition. That also has a very small footprint, which would be essential to fit it into that area, along with a log flume and dark ride. Though, it must be said, that its "ride time" is nearly a minute, which I believe is longer than Freedom Flyer's. The very short ride duration of a Stealth clone is why I mentioned that idea in conjunction with what the article said in the first place...

I see it been a pretty family friendly fun ride that's what fun spot dose. I think the clues point to a launch coaster maybe something like a shorter Cheetah hunt maybe with a loop. The the enterprise is the closest to upside down the park has so maybe.

All I know it will be fun ! Fun Spot was my 1st park of 2015 and Actually did it straight from the RCI cruise ship lol and before we checked in at Universal lol.

Stu K

Sky Rocket II /Tempesto Clone would be a great fit, but there were a couple of other coasters I thought would make a good fit is a S&S El Loco or a Vekoma Stringray both have a smallfoot print and there higher than White Lighting and Freedom Flyer and a short ride time.

El Loco

Vekoma Stingray