TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

They better be some damn awesome burgers though if people are willing to queue for that long.

The thing is they are far from awesome, just unique to many people in the area.

I would actually rather have White Castle than just about most other burgers, to be honest. I actually really *like* them and we have been known to go out of our way for them when we are in areas that have them.

I personally would MUCH rather have a White Castle burger than In N Out, Burger King, Wendy's, Steak N Shake, and many other fast food burger places.

While some might say it's an "acquired taste" this most certainly proves there are a lot of people how there who have acquired that taste.

Other parts of the country have Krystal's. Little burgers much like White Castle and often considered "closing time" food. I can do without the onions at either place and order accordingly.

Source

It makes a little more sense to me now. White Castle is an unobtainable novelty for Florida, where it does not exist -- much like In-n-Out or Whataburger for people in the midwest/northeast. On the flip side, anyone in a blue-dotted area on that map (myself inculded) probably looked at those lines at Fun Spot and wondered what the heck those people were thinking.

Source

It makes a little more sense to me now. White Castle is an unobtainable novelty for Florida, where it does not exist -- much like In-n-Out or Whataburger for people in the midwest/northeast. On the flip side, anyone in a blue-dotted area on that map (myself inculded) probably looked at those lines at Fun Spot and wondered what the heck those people were thinking.

Two of the most whacked out insane fast food openings you can witness is a Chick Fil A and a Popeye's Chicken. Even if there was one relatively close by, folks freak over those in the Mid South. I hear the CFA is a nationwide phenomenon.

The White Castle in Vegas had a similar rush when it opened. I personally enjoy White Castle when I have the opportunity to eat it! It's not gourmet, but it's far from terrible. I think a lot of people just can't deal with the aftermath.

Edited by Jew

The White Castle in Vegas had a similar rush when it opened.

And, what's interesting about the Vegas White Castle, is its existence is due to the massive (4+ hour) lines the food trucks generated when they stopped there in 2013. So if that scenario is any indication, maybe we'll see a White Castle open up here in Orlando.

Source:

In 2013, a White Castle food truck created four-hour waits in line for fans attending the Las Vegas Foodie Fest. The orderly, but impressively dedicated scene inspired local restaurant team Herbst-Richardson to push the steamed slider company to make the great leap west. Previously, the closest Castle to Las Vegas was in Cape Girardeau, Mo.

http://vegas.eater.com/2015/1/28/7928877/how-long-were-the-lines-for-sliders-at-white-castle

^Los Angeles had similarly long lines when they did a "pop up" location in conjunction with promoting "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" and we still don't have one out here. That probably has a lot more to do with California's not so business friendly climate

I think the biggest things are on the back end: someone needs to have the capital to set up the distribution chain and deal with any labor hurdles to still meet the required profit margins.

To me the best idea seems to be to keep one of the White Castle Trucks in Florida full time. Have it drive around making stops in Tampa, Miami, and Orlando monthly. It makes money, they can supply one truck instead of several stores, less labor, less overhead, and people have shown they'll show up for it.

Edited by SharkTums

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/police-2-shot-fun-spot-america-orlando/nkGZ9/

A man and a teenager were shot Saturday evening at Fun Spot America, according to the Orlando Police Department.

The man was shot in the shoulder and a teenager was shot in the foot, an Orlando Fire Department spokesman said.

Both victims were brought to Orlando Regional Medical Center by ambulance in stable condition.

Their injuries are considered non-life threatening, officials said.

“Based on the descriptions provided by witnesses, officers located a suspect, who in turn fled from officers on foot,” Lt. Miguel Garcia said in a statement. “Officers were able to capture the suspect after a brief foot pursuit.”

No other information was released.

Yikes. I've been to Fun Spot a number of times now and I've never felt remotely unsafe. Things happen, though.

^No, as the truck was in the Kissimmee location Saturday and today. When I first saw the headline "shooting at Fun Spot" I also assumed it must be at the Kissimmee location related to the 8 hour lines for White Castle!

I heard the line reached 10 hours long. I find this amusing because we have white castle restaurants all over the place out my way.

Is there any white castle restaurant locations in Florida?

I heard the line reached 10 hours long. I find this amusing because we have white castle restaurants all over the place out my way. Is there any white castle restaurant locations in Florida?

Nope. Closest White Castle is in Tennessee (I think). We do have Krystal Burger down here though, but it still isn't the same.

^No, as the truck was in the Kissimmee location Saturday and today. When I first saw the headline "shooting at Fun Spot" I also assumed it must be at the Kissimmee location related to the 8 hour lines for White Castle!

I heard the line reached 10 hours long. I find this amusing because we have white castle restaurants all over the place out my way.

Is there any white castle restaurant locations in Florida?

Is there a white castle within a 4 and a half hour drive from fun spot? People could have saved some time

A friend of mine earned a master's degree and a PhD at Ohio University (he's originally from California, like me). When he was at OU, he kept hearing all the locals raving about White Castle. So he checked one out. The result led him to two possible conclusions:

1. People in Ohio are insane.

2. People in Ohio smoke weed 24/7.

I think either explanation is plausible.