TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

Must admit it looks great fun! Any of the Coaster / Cruiser group think it would work on RCI Oasis 3 Board walk? As Robb has mentioned before they build things into the ship rather than bolt stuff on the deck (NCL / Carnival Style).

Would work well in that location I think.

Stu K

Today Fun Spot America held a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Gator Spot by Gatorland experience coming to the park in a few months. This first-of-its-kind partnership between Fun Spot America Theme Parks and Gatorland will allow Fun Spot guests to see baby gators, birds, crocodiles and even a rare Albino Gator for just $6. This $1 million project will be constructed in roughly two months and is opening opposite the park's Tilt-A-Whirl attraction.

DSC09833.thumb.JPG.192aa3127740bd88131791d2cac62fc6.JPG

It wouldn't be a Gatorland experience without gators!

DSC09835.thumb.JPG.1a9401f7560ac4559d20890434d3989d.JPG

The entrance of Gator Spot by Gatorland will definitely represent the Gatorland wooded-flair well.

DSC09837.thumb.JPG.b9aef46a36c2ff5ccbc593599a02c056.JPG

The new attraction will offer a great sampling of all that Gatorland has to offer at their park.

DSC09839.thumb.JPG.94bd04f8ddfbf2494faa6ac2fb4b85ba.JPG

This plot will look VERY different in just a few months.

DSC09840.thumb.JPG.1f3ee23ef62bfcd5309d14d820cec57c.JPG

Ready for the main event...

DSC09841.thumb.JPG.61aa60db12af96e7b1cc8dee0860e183.JPG

A look at the full construction plot.

DSC09846.thumb.JPG.06cbde18577ebe368e075561a9db259e.JPG

John Arie Jr., the face of Fun Spot America Theme Parks started the ceremony with a few words about the project.

DSC09862.thumb.JPG.affb6476dd91f81bb9dd6a20138d9d0d.JPG

Invited guests included Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and more!

DSC09864.thumb.JPG.ce90760a370f181818c9835b9d28c7c1.JPG

A meeting of industry moguls, John Arie Jr. of Fun Spot America Theme Parks and Gatorland CEO Mark McHugh shared some fun jokes on stage!

DSC09867.thumb.JPG.db51656de5c7fb518beb3e79e442e43b.JPG

Mark shared some more background on the joint project's history, which began over a year ago at which time John Arie Sr. mentioned to him that they were contemplating adding a gator experience at Fun Spot America. That initial thought was soon explored as a joint-partnership and the rest is history.

DSC09885.thumb.JPG.918bfbb0c9beb6085953f319a9a90963.JPG

A fun shot of the groundbreaking ceremony with some great expressions to match!

DSC09889.thumb.JPG.fb67dc188f771f2c031e4affb7461ae3.JPG

Gatorland even brought some animals from the park! I was able to hold a parrot!

DSC09894.thumb.JPG.616949a1edaf7e92839e16a4418358da.JPG

The long-awaited installation of the Screamin' Swing, now to be known as Space Invader, is finally beginning.

DSC09896.thumb.JPG.1b63a190df1afb2eda0f34c60e995472.JPG

The Air Raid attraction near the entrance of the park is being packed up as well.

DSC09897.thumb.JPG.f6012b18c4a5b6f68777d8f548a13d98.JPG

While we were here, it didn't hurt to take a ride on the incredibly fun White Lightning--still the crown jewel of the park!

DSC09899.thumb.JPG.b546ac89eb56ffa5738872e2dcd48031.JPG

Thanks again to Fun Spot America and Gatorland for hosting us today! We can't wait to see Gator Spot by Gatorland when it opens in just a few months!

^It is gone and an employee was surprisingly open with me as to why. Near the top of the ride there was a lot of electrical wiring that was exposed to the elements and the ride would go down basically every time it rained. Obviously that doesn't work in central Florida.

The grass underneath the ride wasn't even fully dead. Classic Zamperla. A completely different replacement attraction is planned for the spot, timetable unknown.

That's definitively a surprising reason for sure. I know it rains a lot in Orlando and what not it's not like none of these rides are located outside, such as at Luna Park. I am not expert or anything but just seems like a problem that would've been resolved rather than removed.

^It is gone and an employee was surprisingly open with me as to why. Near the top of the ride there was a lot of electrical wiring that was exposed to the elements and the ride would go down basically every time it rained. Obviously that doesn't work in central Florida.

The grass underneath the ride wasn't even fully dead. Classic Zamperla. A completely different replacement attraction is planned for the spot, timetable unknown.

So, they thought it easier to remove a brand new ride, instead of working with Zamperla on fixing a seemingly simple issue? This reason doesn't really add up.

They may have been able to sell it back or sell it off easily since it is so new. Today they were able to pack up the entire foundation of the ride (base/supports/fencing) in about two hours with 4 guys so It was easy to remove.

I just asked if it was gone for good or going off to be refurbished and that was the answer given. He said it would operate better if it were indoors. Still, something else is destined for its spot. He actually told me what as well but it's weird to be given that previous information so IDK if I should say what's coming in its place.

Much as I hate to see AirRace leave, I am really exited that the screaming swings are coming soon. I could ride Air Race a couple of times before my stomach said No More. But I can ride screaming swings all day. (and have marathoned it BTW) I wonder where the swings are going in at? The old Air Race spot would be good. Any Ideas as to where they are going ?

Doesn't Drayton Manor have the same ride? England gets plenty of rain throughout operating season.

Edited by Garet

I agree a try before you buys seems likely! There was some issue with it where the operator would have to go around and push each car at the end of the ride before releasing the bars.

Shame seemed really popular when I was there. The girl I rode it and it was here Favourite as it was the only ride that went upside down!

Stu K

Perhaps they never owned the ride and it was just there before the person who owns it takes it on the road? The story seems fishy...

If they knew it would be there for such a very short time though, why ask TPR to come out and film it? Your suggestion also makes sense but it just seems strange to try and get publicity for a ride that was so temporary.

Sad one way or another. I really enjoyed this ride back in November, one of the better flats I've been on in a while. Not that anecdotal evidence is worth much, but I rode it in the rain and it didn't have any issues then. It was brand new then, only a few days old, so maybe the issues only cropped up later.

JUST got a tweet from them as I was typing this; looks like they're looking into a permanent model of the same ride.

Funspot.thumb.jpg.9647347f5c4f8c53c2d7af8d38346b7e.jpg

We are sad to say that Air Race is being dismantled from our Orlando park. It has given us many maintenance problems and for the safety of our guests we are taking it out. We're keeping an eye out for a more in-ground permanent model instead of a portable one. In the mean time, stay tuned for Space Invader!

On the official page they just put this status: https://www.facebook.com/FunSpotAmerica?fref=ts

Seems that a permanent one could be coming eventually.

Edit: Seems this information got posted above at the same time.

That particular air race was the one that had been making appearances at iaapa for the last couple of years, so it wasn't too shocking when they had a new air race model at the show this year, that this old one found a home in Orlando. Based on that, it's also not too surprising to now find out that it was not really up to job of handling a full time outdoor park gig.

I'm curious to see how the partnership with Gatorland plays out. I imagine it'll be a good way to give the old roadside attraction a little more publicity; then again, it could steal a few customers away from Gatorland.

LOL! Our they can even out the partnership even more and add a small foot print coaster at Gatorland and call it the "Fun Spot GatorCoaster"

(just a thought)

I like this idea.