TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

So found this video today. Looks like it won't be a Big Fun from GCI, but a small out and back. And I can't tell what the steel coaster is.

www.clickorlando.com/entertainment/theme-parks/New-attractions-planned-for-Orlando-park/-/2235348/4810702/-/xqga2g/-/index.html

Roller coasters, a water park and go-kart track are just some of the plans for an expansion at an Orlando theme park.

The new park would be located next to the Fun Spot Action Park on Del Verde Way off International Drive and I-4.

The park will be three times the size it is now and crews will soon begin construction to turn the area into Central Florida's latest attraction.

"My daughter will love that, her favorite thing is to ride the roller coaster," said one Orlando mom.

Families at Fun Spot were thrilled to hear about the latest plans for the park on Tuesday.

The 10-acre expansion projects includes one wooden and one steel roller coaster, a water park complete with a lazy river and slides, and will double the number of rides.

Park managers hope it will bring in more guests while maintaining their small park atmosphere.

"We're not in the same league as the big three, but we think we provide a great alternative," said Mark Brisson, the Fun Spot director of marketing.

Both local and visiting families said the Fun Spot is already a must see park.

"I enjoy it because I don't have to get on rides with her and it's cheaper because I don't have to pay to get in," said Sonia Payne, who was visiting Orlando.

Except for the new water park, Fun Spot will remain a pay as you play attraction. Park managers said the expansion will create at least 200 new jobs and will hopefully be finished by March 2013.

The expansion must still be approved by the city.

Also, here is a screenshot of the two coasters:

1132071177_FunSpot.jpg.89ecb97971de6080d9a9b2f02d9d9e58.jpg

I think it is perfectly logical that a small water park not only can survive... but actually thrive in a market of larger water parks.

Some people don’t like to pay $40 admission, $10 parking, $15 tube rental and on top of that chase their kids over 40 acres of slides and pools. I actually think it is a good idea to build a small water park where you just pay a small admission fee and hang out for a couple of hours.

I dare say Fun Spot has a good idea

I understand your experience in this field.

But, Fun Spot doesn't really even do Go Karting all that well -- I am highly skeptical they could run a top notch water park.

Also keep in mind, Cowabunga Bay doesn't have 2 Disney Water Parks and Aquatica right down the street.

Plus, the local resorts near Cowabunga Bay don't have water parks -- the ones down here already do. Why would you pay for something -- when a similar experience is already FREE at the hotel (there are several resorts that have 3-5 acre water parks included in the cost of the hotel stay)?

Also, the failure in your logic is that the $47 admission is for an ANNUAL PASS at Wet N Wild. It is way cheaper just to go to Wet N Wild than be nickel and dimed at Fun Spot. Beside Wet N Wild will always have superior actual rides than this proposed Fun Spot water park -- despite WNW's weak theming.

....And where is the money savings? Fun Spot is an overpriced FEC already -- it's $34.95 for their unlimited armband (to get on all their rides including go karts).....

While planning this water park, I have had MANY conversations with the owner. Trust me, he’s got a winner on his hands. Only wish I would’ve thought of it first

I don't agree.

Locals won't bother with this place because Fun Spot is already infamous for being an overpriced "tourist trap."

And the tourists who are staying at resorts like CoCo Key, Nickelodeon Suites, Disney's Lost Club Resort, Marriott's Harbour Lake, etc. (not to mention all the timeshares with water parks) -- already get a similar sized water park for FREE with their stay. So exactly how is this a good investment?

If you actually lived in this town, you'd realize the water park doesn't add up in Fun Spot's lousy location (ghost town section of I-Drive) and in a town where nearly every hotel already has a water slide complex.

Considering how tough financing is to get now -- I can't believe Fun Spot found a bank dumb enough to give them the money for the water park. The roller coaster / ride expansion is a good expansion for them -- they'll have the only wooden coaster in town. But when there are places already giving a similar experience away for FREE in this area -- it's not a great place to try to charge admission.

Also keep in mind, Cowabunga Bay doesn't have 2 Disney Water Parks and Aquatica right down the street.

Salt Lake City already had two decent sized, and previously established water parks before Cowabunga Bay came into town (Lagoon and Raging Waters.) And in a smaller market like Salt Lake City, that's VERY tough competition.

^^You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm inclined to take Shane's judgment here--his credentials are pretty strong.

Agreed, Chuck, sorry, "O-Town", but I'm going to listen to someone who is actually in the amusement park and water park industry over some unknown, brand-new member, who's only contribution to the forum has been negative posts about this project.

I mean, O-Town, who are you anyway? Are you a disgruntled ex-Fun Spot employee who doesn't want to see their old employer succeed? Because that's what you kind of sound like. Shane at least has come on this forum, explained how he's turned his idea into a success. Understands the waterpark industry, the trends, what works and doesn't, the business models of various water parks, seen successes and failures in his life-long theme park career. And you are WHO, exactly? From what I can tell just some local that doesn't think this will work...based on what professional experience?

Before you go telling someone who has been successful in this industry for 20+ years that their "logic is flawed", perhaps you better pony up with some credentials yourself, because you're kind of making yourself look like a douchebag.

--Robb "Sorry...just had to say it..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Also, for an "overpriced tourist trap in the ghost town section of I-Drive," they're obviously doing something right to catch the attention of the largest enthusiast site on the internet.

Just based off the artwork, rumors, and Shane's knowledge, I'm inclined to give them my business the next time I'm in town.

Edited by BeemerBoy

While planning this water park, I have had MANY conversations with the owner. Trust me, he’s got a winner on his hands. Only wish I would’ve thought of it first

I don't agree.

Locals won't bother with this place because Fun Spot is already infamous for being an overpriced "tourist trap."

I'm a local, and if this project gets built I'll be sure to check it out.

That "Splash Rally" looks really interesting.

Yeah, the Splash Rally really caught my eye too. And that's the thing about the Central Florida water parks....there's still plenty of variety in all of them. Although I have my favorite overall parks, I can still pick out at least two things from each place that I love; whether it's price-point, slides, atmosphere, food, whatever.

And realistically, isn't that the point of it all....variety?

I'm way more optimistic about this then I was about the Orlando Thrill park. I liked the thrill park concept and thought it would be a nice change of pace for the Orlando market but I didn't think a stand alone park that large could survive in the area without being associated with one of the major resort destinations. I think that if done properly (and it looks like they have a great plan) this project will be a huge success.

I think sometimes people forget just how many people vacation in Orlando every year. Magic Kingdom alone does somewhere around 17 million guests a year. Disney isn't building Avatar and expanding the Magic Kingdom because they are hurting for business. There are tens of millions of tourists that visit that city every year and even if a very very small percentage of those tourists go to FunSpot for half a day to check it out it will probably still be far and away one of the most attended FEC/water parks in the country. I'm not in the water park business or anything but from some numbers I have seen on various sources most water parks in America (NOT in Orlando) are lucky to have half a million guests a year, this place just based on location alone probably has the potential to do half a million in the Summer months alone. We'll see how it goes, but I like the concept and think it will work.

I don't agree.

And the tourists who are staying at resorts like CoCo Key, Nickelodeon Suites, Disney's Lost Club Resort, Marriott's Harbour Lake, etc. (not to mention all the timeshares with water parks) -- already get a similar sized water park for FREE with their stay. So exactly how is this a good investment?

If you actually lived in this town, you'd realize the water park doesn't add up in Fun Spot's lousy location (ghost town section of I-Drive) and in a town where nearly every hotel already has a water slide complex.

Considering how tough financing is to get now -- I can't believe Fun Spot found a bank dumb enough to give them the money for the water park. The roller coaster / ride expansion is a good expansion for them -- they'll have the only wooden coaster in town. But when there are places already giving a similar experience away for FREE in this area -- it's not a great place to try to charge admission.

Well folks, there you have it…pull your money out right now. Based on the experience above it’s doomed. I kid, I kid.

Actually I remember reading on local sites about the impending failure of Cowabunga Bay when it was first announced. As a profession I resist from going back to those sites and saying “I told you so” but sometimes late at night when no one is around I secretly say to myself “I told you so”, and it feels good. I imagine some of us on here may enjoy that same feeling in a couple of years.

You do have a point that Salt Lake and Orlando are very different markets. If I can make it here on 1,000,000 population, 100 day operating schedule and Utah Summer weather, than I am sure that the added warm Florida weather, 365 day operation schedule and 12,000,000 tourists on top of the local market should help them pay back those stupid banks.

Edited by montezooma

I JUST now realized that this wasn't the Fun Spot located next to Old Town. I know, welcome to the thread Eric. That completely changes my expectations for the success of this project. Plus, clears up my confusion as to where they were magically going to squeeze all of this.

And as far as O-Town77 arguing with Shane about the feasibility of a water park making it in the industry:

double_take.gif.50bb84c712e8cf2278f196e01bf95e16.gif

^Seriously.

And thanks for the new strategy to convince Candace that visiting Orlando should become an annual vacation.

"I need to understand the parks down there better so I don't confuse Fun Spot with Old Town and embarrass myself on the internet..."