TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rides that NEED a makeover after the 2010 season

This year I was very excited and beyond belief that I was able to visit over 30 parks including about 18 "new to me" parks. During those park visits I experienced a few rides that really needed some off season TLC in the form of new wood, train/ride vehicle issues, paint, a good cleaning, etc.

My list includes but is not limited to:

Rolling Thunder - Six Flags Great Adventure - Rough and Rough - could also use some paint

Volcano - Kings Dominion - Queue line disgusting as it has been the past several years (floor especially)

Shockwave - Six Flags over Texas - could use new paint all around

Hulk - Islands of Adventure - Needs a good cleaning, and paint something bad

Those are just a few of mine, what's yours?

Here's what others are saying

Ghost Rider – Knott’s Berry Farm – Retrack or Rocky Mountain

Vortex – California’s Great America – New paint, train overhaul

Millennium Force – Cedar Point – New Paint

Hades – Mt. Olympus – Needs Timberliners

Zeus – Mt. Olympus – get a move on on more re-tracking

Iron Wolf – Get rid of those awful Intamin trains

Holiday World – The woodies are starting to rot a bit

X2 – Six Flags Magic Mountain – Beating people up like Rodney King

Ridler’s Revenge – Six Flags Magic Mountain – Could use a coat of Krylon

The Boss – Six Flags St. Louis – Slaps you silly

California Screamin’ – Disney – needs a scenery makeover

Phantom’s Revenge – Kennywood – Burn down the station and build a new one

Loch Ness – Busch Gardens Europe/Williamsburg – Bring back the effects in the cave

Rebel Yell – Kings Dominion – New paint and restore running lights

Expedition: Everest – Disney – get that dang Yeti working again! Oh, and after you get the Yeti up, paint it!

Hurler – Kings Dominion – needs to be made into match sticks, or at least re-tracked

Flight Deck – Kings Island – It’s a Vekoma, oh, and its paint is kinda blah

Roar – Six Flags Discovery Kingdom – Needs new trains (I agree, they had raw PLYWOOD in the floor!)

Maverick – Cedar Point – Needs the I305 soft restraints

Gwazi – Busch Gardens Tampa – Needs more track work, or MF Trains. Improve dispatch times and dueling

Anaconda – Kings Dominion – Needs some rustoleum

Oblivion – Alton Towers – needs an overhaul, and while they’re at it, give some love to X-Sector

Fuji-Q – Japan – get into the technology world already, bring in lo-q

Luna Park –Sydney, Australia – Needs to spend some money and invest in the park overall

Afterburn – Carrowinds – Paint Me

Richochet – Carrowinds – Rust is not my real color

Blazing Fury – Dollywood – too old school, needs updated

Grizzly – Kings Dominion – also needs to be turned into match sticks, or rehabed

Carousel of Progress - Disney - carpets are gross

Edited by chadster

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CGA's Vortex...it's gotten rough, faded. I keep having reoccurring dreams that this ride gets a massive face lift, runs amazingly smooth yet just as intense (more along the lines of Flight Deck). Can at the least use a new paint job (Bring back the lime green and black!), and fix up the trains so there's less wobble/play for a smoother ride.

Here are some coasters I found to be rough, unpopular and/or personally disappointing.

Zeus & Hades--I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said.

Hellcat/Avalanche--Still very fun, but pretty rough, especially in the wheel seats.

Holiwoodies--They weren't running their best this year, and Voyage was very rough. At least it's getting new trains!

Timber Wolf--Another obvious one. I found this fun, but too intense.

X2--I don't think I've received a worse bashing this year, and I heard people complaining about the same problem I had.

I'd like to see Rebel Yell get a fresh coast of paint and have its old running lights restored. Restoring the old light, sound, and fog effects in the Loch Ness Monster's helix cave would be nice, too.

Most of all, I'd like to see Expedition: Everest's Yeti back in operation.

SFDK's Roar, needs a new track and something to replace the big, boring hill after the first turn around. It could use some new Flyers to, the ones it has now are beat up and look old.

Every Vekoma Slc, new Vekoma trains if it doesn't have any.

Kingda Ka, lap bar only restraints

Maverick, new trains like new trains ones on I-305, and maby better mechanics, it seemed to brake down ALOT when I was there.

I would love to see Ghostrider get some love! That coaster has really become a shell of what it was when it first opened, and it is a real shame. Honestly Ghostrider from the late 90's still ranks as my #1 wooden coaster, I'd love to see it get back to that place!

Iron Wolf needs B&M trains.

What kind of trains does it have now?

Intamin stand-up trains.

I think they're Intamin stand-up trains that B&M modified with the restraint system used on today's stand-ups.

I think Oblivion definitely needs some kind of renovation. It's looking very tired and the holding mechanism is kind of hit or miss. It can hardly hold the train for 2 seconds. Sometimes you'll just go straight over with it slowing down only slightly. It also needs a new lick of paint. In fact, the whole area of X-Sector needs an overhaul. It's definitely the most neglected part of Alton Towers and it is in desperate need of a make over.

Edited by jason10

Pre-empting the success of Rocky Mounatin makeover. Except for any Intamin pre-fab, Phoenix, Boulder Dash and most GCI's - every wood coaster in North America needs some RM lovin'. Braces for brickbats.

Alton could use an Intamin Mega-lite but what park that doesn't (that doesn't already have one)? I agree with the comment about Oblivion (it's more Oblandion), and that the X-sector of Alton could use some livening up.

Fuji-Q needs q-bots, c'mon Japan it's technological - you'll love it. Common sense applied to their operations would help too. A meg-lite wouldn't hurt. No point making over a ride when the line so long you can't see the ride from the end. It sounds like Euthenasia could be a little less painful.

Knott['s could use some more trees and a recapturing of it's old charm. As far as Ghostrider goes, Rocky Mountain or incineration, the choice is yours. Put in a meg-lite while they're at it.

Luna Park in Sydney, in spite of the small tract of land could be a great Amusement Park with some more rides. Before the 1979 fire, it was like a mini Blackpool (without the scummy neigbourhood). This could be an indiana Beach like amusement park but sadly there is no appetite to take the property in this direction. A mega-lite would fit there. The existing rides don't need makovers so much as removal on the grounds of blandness (except Coney Island).

Movie World on the Gold Coast (Australia) parks needs a serious A-grade attraction, they haven't done anything significant for a while - I think they've been resting on their laurels. A mega-lite maybe? Their Batman simulator ride makes the Adam West Batman look modern, demolish it.

Edited by downunder

Pre-empting the success of Rocky Mounatin makeover. Except for any Intamin pre-fab, Phoenix, Boulder Dash and most GCI's - every wood coaster in North America needs some RM lovin'. Braces for brickbats.

I think you owe a lot of really good woodies - Raven, Cornball, DB Hurricane, Viper, etc (and a bunch of others I haven't been on like Ravine Flyer) - an apology for wanting to take perfectly good rides and bastardize them

I think you owe a lot of really good woodies - Raven, Cornball, DB Hurricane, Viper, etc (and a bunch of others I haven't been on like Ravine Flyer) - an apology for wanting to take perfectly good rides and bastardize them

I was just stirring, I totally agree - Raven, Cornball and Viper I have ridden and they were great. Ravine Flyer was fantastic too, I was a part of the 2008 ERT session of near death. Damn I wish I'd slept last night.