TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WWE - Thoughts and Reviews

Magpie

Myself and 2 buddies are flying from Australia to attend Wrestle Mania in Atlanta on April 3rd.

So thought that was as good a reason as any to start a WWE thread.

How long have you been a fan?

Who are you faves?

Who can't you stand?

Do you attend live shows?

What's your take on the current product?

Been to a live show? Post a review if you like.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long have you been a fan? Watched wrestling since 1980 when I was 8 years old. My Mum called me over to the tv on Saturday afternoon, and I was hooked. It's my childhood obsession that never died

Who are you faves? All time Bret Hart, Ricky Steamboat, Rick Rude, Currently Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Rey Mysterio, Miz, Christian, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston.

Who can't you stand? Guys like Kevin Nash (yes, I know he's not in WWE) who don't put any passion to what they do. I don't see all they hype for Sheamus either.

Do you attend live shows? Been to about 15 shows when WWE have toured here.

What's your take on the current product? It's up and down, but WWE have a hugely talented young crew, Miz/Kofi/Swagger/Morrison with bright futures. Plus guys like Cena and Orton are still young, yet are such huge names. I just wish WWE would fix their Tag division, it's woeful, and has been for years.

Been to a live show? Post a review if you like. Haven't been to a live show since July, when WWE were last out here. But after going to WM27, I'll post a review then.

^ - When you are in Atlanta, if you like Pizza, I highly recommend you try Fellini's Pizza....it is, as the Miz would say....AWESOME!!

I used to be a huge fan of it when I was a kid. I got into it around 1993 or so. I was a big fan of Razor Ramon, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold, The Rock, The Dudley Boys, DX.

I think my interest in it kind of tailed off around Wrestlemania 17 or so, although I still would watch it every so ofton. I did get back into it a little more when my ex-wife and I started to watch it together, with the last event I went to was an edition of RAW in July 2008 at the RBC Center in Raleigh with her.

My biggest thing about it is that other than the fact that it is fake, it seems kind of campy to me. They are kind of doing this odd "Family-Friendly" thing right now since Linda McMahon was running for Senate, and I think that it has kind of taken away from it a bit. Although they don't need to be blatently raunch or anything like that, I think they could push the envelope back a little bit

To me, the most annoying thing that they are doing in their programming right now is the whole Michael Cole having a huge hard-on for the Miz, but it is what it is.

I am actually going to see a house show with my brother Kellen tomorrow night at the Verison Center in Washington, DC. This will be the fifth different venue that I have seen a WWF/E show in, the others being the Tacoma Dome (Tacoma, WA/2 House Shows), Key Arena (Seattle, WA/2 House Shows), RBC Center (Raleigh, NC/2 House Shows, 2 Episodes of Raw, Summer Slam 2000) and Minges Colisieum (Greenville, NC/1 House Show).

The best show I have seen was Summer Slam 2000, when it was at the RBC Center where you had the first ever TLC Match with Edge and Christian, the Dudleys, and the Hardys. Easily my favorite match I have seen in person.

The one thing that is cool about being up to date on what is going on with pro wrestling is that I have students who love it, and they like to talk to me about it, which finding something to connect with your students on is a benefit to have.

-Gary

Thanks for the tip on the pizza, we may just check that out.

Yeah, to watch it in the Attitude era where blood, boobs and language was encouraged, then to watch it now, it's a different product for sure. But for me, that just means the writers have come up with better stories cause they don't over the top violence and sexual content to fall back on. A few feuds of recent times that were crackers were HBK/Jericho in 08, Mysterio/Jericho in 09, Jeff Hardy/Punk in 09 and Mysterio/Punk this year. Great story telling, with matches and promos being first class.

Summer Slam 2000, very good show, as you said, the TLC match was off the charts. Dare devil wrestling at it's best. Wrestling may be staged, but it can also be very dangerous.

I also work in education and have students coming up to me wanting to chat about it. It's good fun, but sometimes hard when they believe it's real and I have to explain why I didn't think some wrestler/angle/match was good, yet still not spoil their fun by giving away the big secret

Please post your thoughts on the house show you went to. Hope you and your brother had a good night. Steve.

I used to be obsessed with WWF. I started watching it when I was a little kid and I love Ultimate Warrior, The Rockers and Undertaker. Then when Stone Cold was introduced I got even more obsessed! The attitude era was so amazing and very entertaining. My favorites during that time were Stone Cold, DX, Kane, Undertaker. My favorite storylines/fueds were The Rock/Stone Cold, Stone Cold/Vince McMahon, Kane/Undertaker/Paul Bearer, Stone Cold/Undertaker.

I was lucky enough to go to 3 different live WWF events:

1. House Show @ San Diego Sports Arena in 1998

2. 1999 Royal Rumble (No Chance in Hell) @ Arrowhead Pond (Honda Center) in Anaheim, CA. This event was amazing! This was the Royal Rumble in which Vince McMahon won the Royal Rumble by screwing over Stone Cold. Also, The Rock vs. Mankind in an epic "I Quit" match where the Rock handcuffed Mankind and hit him with a chair about 25-50 times!

3. Monday Night Raw @ San Diego Sports Arena in 1999. Shane McMahon made a main event: Lumberjack Match between The Rock and Stone Cold which ended with The Rock and Stone Cold getting tossed off the ramp onto a table! Here is a youtube link to that Raw main event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3TuDcl1QbI

I stopped watching WWF in 2001-02 during the time when WCW joined WWF. I was pissed because I hated WCW. About a year ago I started watching RAW again. It isn't the same or as good as the attitude era was IMO but it is still pretty entertaining. I also feel like there isn't too many marketable personalities and crowd favorites/crowd hated wrestles nowadays as there used to be.

My favorites theses days are Randy Orton, Triple H, Sheamus, John Cena and Nexus. My least favorites are Edge, Chris Jericho and Michael Cole (I almost want to mute the TV when he talks about Miz)

I will alway enjoy the memories WWF gave me over the years! I still have my ticket stubs, 1998 DX shirt, Austin 3:16 Shirt and DX foam finger locked away in storage somewhere all from the attitude era! Good thread keep it coming!

Cena injured his hip last night in a house show cage match vs Wade Barrett. Doubts on whether he'll be right for WM

So that could mean no Cena, and no Undertaker. Two big spots for Vince to fill.

Maybe use this chance to give a guy like Morrison or Kofi the ball, and let them run with it by getting a big win at WM.

Mr, thanks for you post, enjoyed reading your thoughts on the Attitude era. All us who lived through it, can't get enough of it.

So many guys in the mix, that you could just interchange and still get great feuds matches Austin/Rock/Hunter/Kane/Taker/Foley/Benoit/Angle/Jericho.

Add Hardyz/EnC/Dudleyz tag war, outstanding era yeah.

So Morrison gets his shot at Miz this week in a Falls Count Anywhere Match. Gives Alex Riley ample opportunities to help keep the title on his mentore.

News that Awesome Kong has signed with WWE too. Hope she gets the push her talent deserves. She can set the Divas division on fire if they let her. Those matches with Gail Kim in TNA were the best womens matches I've seen. So here's to more of the same vs Gail, Natayla and Beth.

Is there any word on when Triple H is going to return? I think Raw is in need of one more big superstar to throw in the mix.

Haven't heard anything no. When he does though, it'll be to cost Sheamus a big match, so their feud is kick started again. Maybe Hunter costs him the Rumble?

Thought TLC was a good PPV, Morrison/Sheamus was an outstanding cat and mouse match. Morrison kept getting bullied by the bigger Sheamus, but he wouldn't stay down. Hitting some hope spots to show fans he wasn't done with just yet. JoMo pulling out some offence just as it was needed, with the drama building with some false finishes. And the finish itself, very well done.

And I'm no fan of Sheamus, but I have to give him credit, he was in all the right places for Morrisons aerial moves. If the base guy isn't in the right place, then the aerial guy looks crap for not hitting any moves and the match falls apart. Big ups to both of them.

Also enjoyed the 4 Way TLC match and the IC title match.

So, who now to win the Rumble?

I'd like the Rumble winner to be Del Rio. I think he has all the qualities to be a firm main eventer and World champion.

Punk is also a good choice, our saviour showing straight edge means he's better than everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely have to agree with you about Del Rio being a big threat to win the Rumble, it seems like him and John Morrison have been moving up to the top of the WWE pretty fast recently, so them two and CM Punk are who I think have the best chance of winning the Rumble.

What do you think is going to happen with the WWE title in the next couple months? Do you think Miz is going to have a long title reign or do you think Orton is going win it back? I personally think that Orton is going to enter Wrestlemania with the title.

Orton is wrestling Miz in a WWE Title Match during the Royal Rumble PPV so he wont be competing in the actual Royal Rumble Match. I think Orton is gonna win the title in his match with Miz that night and take the title into Wrestlemania.

Who is that huge guy that took out Cena last night and joined the Nexus?

I've been a WWE fan since it was WWF. I still remeber when Wrestlemania One happened. I'm a huge Raw fan but I do not watch Samckdown. I read about what happens each week, but I don't watch the show.

My favorites would have to be the legends. Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat, Paul Orndorff, etc.

I do like todays stars. HHH, John Cena, Edge, Randy Orton. Can't stand Daniel Bryan though. I don't like his style. I'm thinking they drop his title to John Morrison soon.

I've been to plenty of live shows. My highlight would be Wrestlemania 10 at MSG. I got free tickets and had a blast. It was the first time I saw a title change hands in person. Brett Hart beat Yokozuna for the WWF title.

We plan on going to the "Pregame Pandemonium" show in Philly on Super Bowl Sunday at 1PM. It will be a supershow with both Raw and Smackdown being there.

Who is that huge guy that took out Cena last night and joined the Nexus?

That was Mason Ryan, current (I believe) FCW World Champion.

How long have you been a fan? I started watching WWE late 2005, I think the first show I watched was the Eddie Gurrerro tribute show on Smackdown.

Who are you faves? Right now my favorites are Daniel Bryan Danielson, John Morrison, CM Punk (pretty much all of Nexus as well), Edge, Derrick Bateman, Alberto Del Rio, and The Corre.

Who can't you stand? I really don't have anyone that I really hate, but I do dislike Cena. Very much.

Do you attend live shows? I went to a Raw taping in October 2006.

What's your take on the current product? I don't have many problems with it, I just wish they would start pushing more talent to the main event, like they are doing with Ziggler.

Been to a live show? Post a review if you like. The Raw I went to was a great experience. Everyone was crazy. I remember freaking out when Ron Simmons showed up, as it was is first time back in many years.

^

I used to be obsessed with WWF. I started watching it when I was a little kid and I love Ultimate Warrior, The Rockers and Undertaker. Then when Stone Cold was introduced I got even more obsessed! The attitude era was so amazing and very entertaining. My favorites during that time were Stone Cold, DX, Kane, Undertaker. My favorite storylines/fueds were The Rock/Stone Cold, Stone Cold/Vince McMahon, Kane/Undertaker/Paul Bearer, Stone Cold/Undertaker.

I was lucky enough to go to 3 different live WWF events:

1. House Show @ San Diego Sports Arena in 1998

2. 1999 Royal Rumble (No Chance in Hell) @ Arrowhead Pond (Honda Center) in Anaheim, CA. This event was amazing! This was the Royal Rumble in which Vince McMahon won the Royal Rumble by screwing over Stone Cold. Also, The Rock vs. Mankind in an epic "I Quit" match where the Rock handcuffed Mankind and hit him with a chair about 25-50 times!

3. Monday Night Raw @ San Diego Sports Arena in 1999. Shane McMahon made a main event: Lumberjack Match between The Rock and Stone Cold which ended with The Rock and Stone Cold getting tossed off the ramp onto a table! Here is a youtube link to that Raw main event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3TuDcl1QbI

I stopped watching WWF in 2001-02 during the time when WCW joined WWF. I was pissed because I hated WCW. About a year ago I started watching RAW again. It isn't the same or as good as the attitude era was IMO but it is still pretty entertaining. I also feel like there isn't too many marketable personalities and crowd favorites/crowd hated wrestles nowadays as there used to be.

My favorites theses days are Randy Orton, Triple H, Sheamus, John Cena and Nexus. My least favorites are Edge, Chris Jericho and Michael Cole (I almost want to mute the TV when he talks about Miz)

I will alway enjoy the memories WWF gave me over the years! I still have my ticket stubs, 1998 DX shirt, Austin 3:16 Shirt and DX foam finger locked away in storage somewhere all from the attitude era! Good thread keep it coming!

• 2 weeks later...

I tuned into RAW tonight for the first time in six months to see the conclusion of the main event, Jerry Freaking Lawler is the #1 contender? Is WWE really that down on talent or is this part of some major storyline? I can't imagine there will be many buys for a PPV with Lawler in the main event.

I tuned into RAW tonight for the first time in six months to see the conclusion of the main event, Jerry Freaking Lawler is the #1 contender? Is WWE really that down on talent or is this part of some major storyline? I can't imagine there will be many buys for a PPV with Lawler in the main event.

But at the next PPV the elimination chamber is the draw, especially with the Smackdown chamber going to be for the title. There has been a history of non-traditional contender matches for the EC. Right now, Lawler is probably one of the top 5 faces in the company so why not? Miz can beat him, draw even more heat for beating a 57 year old, beloved WWE HOFer and move on to his WrestleMania program more molten than ever. Plus, Lawler can still work - as shown last night on RAW. It's better that Cena/Orton vol. 57.

• 5 months later...

SO this thread hasn't had any discussion in quite a while, but right now WWE is probably in the middle of the most interesting plots they have ever put together and it all evolves around CM Punk.

CM Punk won the championship last Sunday at the PPV, then walked out of the arena with the belt as his contract with the company expired. This came a few weeks after Punk was suspended for speaking out against the WWE on air, and after he was reinstated for his title match against John Cena with the stipulation that if Punk took the title away from the WWE then Cena would be fired. He has since tweeted pictures of himself hanging out with the title belt in his hometown of Chicago, at a Cubs Game, and recently crashed the WWE Q&A session at Comic Con.

For anyone else in the TPR world that watches WWE, what the hell is going on here with CM Punk?

This article is a pretty good rundown of everything that has transpired, as well as some insight as to where all of this might be going.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6784925/introducing-worked-shoot-era