Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread


robbalvey

Recommended Posts

Guess I can rant.

I've been a WDW cast member since 9/1999 so that's almost 24 years.
During COVID, I was furloughed and then laid off.
During that time, I got an MA in Creative Writing.
I have applied for dozens of jobs and gotten nothing.
After almost 1 1/2 YEARS of waiting, in May 2022 I returned to one of the two shows I had been playing before the shutdown.
I was given a ONE day contract. I work one day a week unless they need me to fill in.
I am still waiting for the other show to reopen.
I have been forced to work a multitude of other jobs just to pay my bills.
I seriously don't know how much longer I can wait. 

Done.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

A restaurant in New Jersey just announced, that no one under the age of 10 will be allowed in there.

I totally agree with this policy. Good for them. I have been to many restaurants (a few of them upscale) in town, only to have to deal with screaming children, kids running around the place, and just generally being un-supervised by their parents. It's disgusting to have this happen around one or two people just wanting to enjoy their meal. Our pizza place across the street from us is an easy example of how it's (now) a horrible noise level, when children (and especially babies in strollers) are brought to the place. In the summer, on the outdoor street patio, you can hear them screaming on and on. It's awful.

That said, any parent who bitches about this new rule, well, they just aren't being responsible parents, and are forcing the rest of the restaurant to put up with a child's antics. And it's only one f-ing restaurant, people. Thousands more places are available to disrupt with your under age kids, ha ha.

IMhO.

 

p.s. I do realize that there are a lot of TPR people out there with young children and they are behaved and responsible at parks and restaurants. Thanks guys! However, this RANT is to all those parents who don't give a flying fck, when it comes to their children and responsible behavior in public places ......... And probably won't read this, anyway. 🖕

 

 

p.p.s.  And about children, in general? I love them! Especially with a nice bernaise sauce on top. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

Our pizza place across the street from us is an easy example of how it's (now) a horrible noise level, when children (and especially babies in strollers) are brought to the place. In the summer, on the outdoor street patio, you can hear them screaming on and on. It's awful.

;)

I understand nice restaurants, but it's a pizza place... We specifically take Eve to local family pizza places when we want to be a little less concerned with making noise, or her acting like a 2 year old. Target market.

As for controlling your kid, sometimes they're going to act like a kid, regardless. Hence, why a pizza place is a perfect place to chance it, not a steakhouse. There's a fine line between tightening the leash too much, or too little.

If anyone is caught in the crosshairs of Roma's pizza at 5pm on a Friday night, and Eve wants to get reasonably noisy after her 'also' long week of daycare, sucks for them. It's even more of a gamble if our niece comes. Hamburger joints, pizza places, and a lot of chain sit-downs are training grounds. Trial and error is how they learn to behave, but I'm not putting her in chains when she drops a fork, spills a glass, or gets a little louder than library hour. She gets better every time we go out, and it was through practice.

 

My personal rant: My hernia sucks today from hockey last night. I'm waiting it out as long as possible until I have to get it looked at.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

A new home lone rule is having new borrowers with good credit and a large down payments paying a penalty of on average around $40/month, equaling $14,400 throughout the life of a 30 year loan. It's to offset high risk borrowers those with low credit scores and down payments.

We're a middle class family, but we fall in the category of being good with money early in order to live comfortably and debt free now. In our twenties, we paid off our college loans, got rid of all credit card debt, we buy our new cars with cash, and our only outstanding debt is our intentional modest mortgage. But, because of those sacrifices, we have to pay for 'live in the moment' brainwashed shit bags who spend more on bullshit than we do, and live their lives one bloated credit card payment at a time.

We're due to buy a new house in the nicer community I work in, now. Something hopefully very nice for the hard work we have done. Lucky us.

No one is talking about this. This is America now. Punish the responsible and reward the reckless in the name of "equity."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Today I found out that the last 2 days of work I put in were for naught as I messed up royally. I spent today and will go all day tomorrow fixing my mistake. This job is already nearly 2 weeks late and will take about another week to finish. And I have 6 days off after tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure where else to vent so I thought I would come here.

IN a nutshell, had a women of color call me a wt (whitey) on Facebook since I replaced the previous TWO men of color in a job that they were not qualified to do. And she is ALWAYS playing the race card at every opportunity.

Not sure what to do with this veiled racist jab at me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

^ Me too, especially as someone who's purposefully cut ties with nearly all social media. I totally get it, but it's depressing nonetheless. At this point I'm curious if Robb and Elissa keep it around simply because it's too painful to pull the plug.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ and ^^ I'm trying to be 'constant' with this site, as (all others aside) it is my Main Theme Park/Coaster Site. I appreciate what Robb and Elissa have done with the site thru the years, whether it's testing out new stuff online, announcements, and accurate postings. I think some (most?) people who are on here, aren't really interested in posting, as much as I think they should be. But, what can ya do?

Also, I am 70+ years old, and I'll be damned in finding another site for this info., photos, videos of, etc.!

I've been a member since 2005. What else can I say?  😀 This is my social media.

RantThread01.png.6cda9c6017e7a6d0943bffd0968f8953.png

My "rant" look.  Final night of TPR 2012 China/HongKong Tour - HKDL

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

On Thursday night, my leg got trapped under 200 lbs of falling material at work. Nothing was broken on me and my leg is just sore with some minor swelling (now gone). I still took the rest of the shift off to go put my leg up. If I wasn't wearing steel toed-shoes, I likely would have lost something.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ Damn! Glad you're OK. Sounds scary.

 

  

On 1/2/2024 at 8:15 PM, Nrthwnd said:

^ and ^^ I'm trying to be 'constant' with this site, as (all others aside) it is my Main Theme Park/Coaster Site. I appreciate what Robb and Elissa have done with the site thru the years, whether it's testing out new stuff online, announcements, and accurate postings. I think some (most?) people who are on here, aren't really interested in posting, as much as I think they should be. But, what can ya do?

Also, I am 70+ years old, and I'll be damned in finding another site for this info., photos, videos of, etc.!

I've been a member since 2005. What else can I say?  😀 This is my social media.

RantThread01.png.6cda9c6017e7a6d0943bffd0968f8953.png

My "rant" look.  Final night of TPR 2012 China/HongKong Tour - HKDL

Is it messed up that I actually think I remember seeing that picture on your original TR? Or did you not post it and I'm remembering wrong? I used to live on this place, so I've seen a few TR pictures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Is it messed up that I actually think I remember seeing that picture on your original TR? Or did you not post it and I'm remembering wrong? I used to live on this place, so I've seen a few TR pictures.

I posted it with my 2012 TPR China Tour TR. It was at Hollywood Hotel in Hong Kong DL, in the main buffet restaurant where we enjoyed our final meal together, before most of everybody left for home the next day. I stayed on one extra night, so I could get 1-1/2 days extra, enjoying the park.

:mickey:

ResizeofOurTableAndTheMick.jpg.ade67b5d272dcbe7644d6a4d973f78a4.jpg

All of our table with The Chef, in a non-rant mood, lol. Sept.28-2012.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd normally keep stuff like this to myself, but maybe it's fine to let this off my chest. Last year was a whirlwind of things that felt like an unseen force wanted me out of the coaster community.

Technical issues kept me unable to log back in to this account most of last year (since April). Twitter became even more unpleasant (than it already was) to the point of not wanting to use it anymore. All of my favorite local events now sell out in mere minutes after opening (or uncapped ones overselling). To top it and other small things off, more looming debt payments restarting and rising cost of living forcing me to cut back.

Forced to travel less, unable to come back to my usual spaces, I ended up spending much of my 2023 elsewhere both online and in real life.

Not all a bad thing though. I have other hobbies, and even picked up new ones to replace the void in that time. It's a nice refresher doing different things now and then. But much of the changes in last year still left me feeling very detached from the community.

Despite now drastically pulling back from irl and online theme-park related things, I'm at least glad to have this account back. No Facebook group or Discord server could ever really replace a proper web-searchable online forum, imo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Do you know how much it sucks to spend almost $200k on surgeries no one is every going to see... Just because you need to get your body fixed... Hello.... If I'm spending that much people better see the results.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2023 at 11:02 AM, pianojohn said:

Guess I can rant.

I've been a WDW cast member since 9/1999 so that's almost 24 years.
During COVID, I was furloughed and then laid off.
During that time, I got an MA in Creative Writing.
I have applied for dozens of jobs and gotten nothing.
After almost 1 1/2 YEARS of waiting, in May 2022 I returned to one of the two shows I had been playing before the shutdown.
I was given a ONE day contract. I work one day a week unless they need me to fill in.
I am still waiting for the other show to reopen.
I have been forced to work a multitude of other jobs just to pay my bills.
I seriously don't know how much longer I can wait. 

Done.

Yikes. That sounds brutal. I hope things turn around for you soon.

 

- I totally get it though... I'm up to 4 jobs to support my bills and lifestyle, and it's not easy. It's a lot of sleepless nights, and a lot of insanely long days. I keep hoping I will wake up tomorrow and something will be different.... However that hope is starting to fade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/