TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

been getting some really bad health news (my Spouse, not me). . and we moved my Dad into assisted living (against his will), and spent weekend in Houston trying to sort / clean his house so we can sell it (hoarder crossed with collector, but he hasn't touched anything in over 4 1/2 years since my Mom died. . so yeah, it was / still is pretty bad).

so even tho my Brother is doing most all of the Heavy lifting with Dad (he lives in Houston, and moved Dad to a place a few blocks from him)

I'm so stressed. . can't stop eating, and prolly put on 10 lbs in the past 2 weeks.

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not going into detail here (tho those that are fb friends with me have seen me post on my wall).  But yeah.

Spouse is  in hospital since “emergency call” on Friday to go there NOW

we don’t know when he’s going to be released and of course I head to Atlanta for dragoncon wed morning and it’s gonna suck if I have to go while he’s in the hospital. )least of which problem is their he was going to take me to airport on wed )

the whole situation is scary and confusing and stressful 

so this far this weekend has sucked )but at least been able to stay with him despite Covid restrictions) 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alzheimer's can go fuck itself over, sideways, and under.

My father, who's barely 60, was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. It's gotten to the point where he can no longer drive. We took away his keys about a month ago to give you an idea of how far along he is.

So last night, my parents went out to a movie with a couple of their friends. About 2/3 of the way, dad went out to use the toilet and didn't come back. Mom sent one of their friends out to look for Dad--make sure he didn't get lost on the way back from the bathroom. They were still looking by the time their movie ended. Theater staff got involved with the search. Turns out, Dad went into a different screen, which was showing a different movie, sat down, and watched that until the end.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

A rant somewhat coaster related... I broke my wrist and doctor said no coasters at my diagnosis. My first follow up I got him to allow me to ride coasters. Went to SFGAm and turns out you can't ride Maxx, Goliath, Raging Bull, Batman, Superman, X-Flight with a cast. Those are just notable ones, there are more. So dumb! I don't see how I cant ride X-Flight if I rode Joker. Both restraints and riding positions are extremely similar, yet out of the two, Joker is the one I would think would be more of the issue due to the fact its trying to eject me into oblivion while X-Flight gracefully goes about.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:11 AM, CaptainUnknown said:

Alzheimer's can go fuck itself over, sideways, and under.

My father, who's barely 60, was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. It's gotten to the point where he can no longer drive. We took away his keys about a month ago to give you an idea of how far along he is.

So last night, my parents went out to a movie with a couple of their friends. About 2/3 of the way, dad went out to use the toilet and didn't come back. Mom sent one of their friends out to look for Dad--make sure he didn't get lost on the way back from the bathroom. They were still looking by the time their movie ended. Theater staff got involved with the search. Turns out, Dad went into a different screen, which was showing a different movie, sat down, and watched that until the end.

yeah. . . my Brother and I are dealing with Dementia.

we had to put Dad into a closed gate community. . but I dont' think he'll be there very long - he needs full time watching/nurse.
despite giant signs all over things, he can' remember, and he keeps taking way too much of his meds despite all our efforts to put them in easy to understand pill dispensers (he keeps saying they are vitamins, and so if he takes too many, no big deal).   So after the 2nd emergency call to the doctor as he's taken a full weekend supply of blood-thinners with breakfast?   yeah. . he's gonna have to be moved somewhere with daily assistance (which he insists he doesnt' need).

so I feel for ya.

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...

I've always been a decent tipper. 25%, more if the service is really good. However, why is everywhere asking for tips, now? Coffee shops, smoothie shops, and quick service food restaurants (IE - Q'Doba, Chipotle), and take-out.

For the first time ever, I didn't tip my local coffee shop today. The lady acted like a total B when I hit no tip on the tablet. The drinks took an actual two minutes to make, and working at a laid back coffee shop is cake. It's not even like they're curbside and bring the food out, or at the very least, have an obligation to wipe off a table when I'm finished consuming a product.

I feel like this was never a thing prior to COVID, and controversy aside, everything is back to normal in my area. Wages in Illinois have significantly increased. Meanwhile, inflation has driven down my savings, essentially devaluing several thousands of dollars.

Service workers, such as waitresses and bar tenders depend on gratuities to earn their living, due to lower starting wages. They typically strive to offer better services in order to earn higher wages, and it pays off from people like me. They aren't making easy step predetermined servings of coffee flavoring or sandwich recipes, being pretty much mindless unskilled labor, not paid for at a premium, while the price of their product has increased 20 or so percent. I paid $12 for two lattes, in an area with a low cost of living. (aka - I know this isn't shit in NYC, where the cost of living is high.)

The guy who details my car a couple times a year, the person who manicures my yard when (I refuse to participate in fall yard work/leaf removal), and the lady who cut my hair provide meticulous (mostly) skilled services. The outcome of their product depends on their effort, skill, and craftmanship. Even bar tenders stand on their feet, sometimes have to work high speed, constantly and often have to be skillful at their jobs. I reward these people handsomely for their efforts, as long as the service isn't utter garbage. 

It pisses me off even more when places force you into percentage tips, vs. just being able to opt for an extra $1. Maybe I'm old school (I am...), but I'm done tipping for effortlessly made quick-service products. My wage is static, essentially leading me to take at least a 5% reduction of pay this year, with some of our healthy food products seeing as much as a 20% increase in price.

Even yet, my job is exponentially more difficult, from a physical, mental, and emotional standpoint. I worked during the day, starting out in a factory, and went to school at night to earn a bachelors. I beat the odds (at that time...), sometimes quite literally 100 to 1, to enter a competitive work force. I'm not paying more for less service.

#heroesdon'tworkhere (Another rant, for another time, related to the complete and utter bullshit phrase applying to 99.9% of anyone who earns a wage for their work.)

PS - I finished my mediocre coffee in the time it took to make this post.

• Like 1

^ Agree with this. Everybody is asking for tips. I'm sorry, but if I was not tipping you before covid, I am not tipping now. I might round up to the nearest dollar but that is it.

My rant... went to SFGAm Saturday and I had to leave at 6:30 to pick up my sister and take her home. I knew this beforehand, I wasn't mad about that. The problem is that once I drove an hour and was fifteen minutes from her, she said she got a ride from someone else. So I left SFGAm for nothing and going back was no use already being an hour away, plus they probably hit capacity and I did not get a handstamp. Then she had the audacity to ask me to pick her up food because "we had nothing at home". I was stuffed from my Six Flags meals so I wasn't getting anything out of getting food for her. It takes a lot to get me going but in the car I was speechless and fuming.

• 2 weeks later...