-I'll always love you!

... Followed a week later by:

-Who the hell do you think you are?!

-What a d-bag!

-I can't believe I ever loved you!!!

-Go die! No one even cares about you!

-Why is this happening to me?

... I think I'm going to explode.

Ugh, I am so ready to scream over something so trivial. My best friend is driving me crazy over, of all things, a video game. I have a PS3, bought Dragon Age, and kinda didn't play it until recently. A good rpg game, my first. All the usual things, fighting, making decisions, building up your character, romance options were there. I had fun. Then, I lent the game to my friend, who I know likes these kinds of games.

Is there a word that describes someone who has become obsessed and arrogant? I thought I had fun, did the thing, beat the enemy, tada. He starts playing and playing, and calling me every few hours to talk about decisions and minutiae. Telling me his decisions were the right ones, how no enemy in the game could stand up to him, cause he so good. Then he acts like he is freaked out by some of the character's dialog or because he cannot make sense of one of the possible decisions you can make. He wonders how I could have possibly not played the game for so long. Then he belittles how I played the game. My decisions were wrong, not playing as if what happened to my character wasn't a real matter of honor.

I get that he really likes to learn and understand a topic completely. However, when, because on a second pass through a scene, a little game trophy doesn't appear, you erase 20+ hours of play time and start over to get it, that is wayyy too much. What happened to the normal you from 2 weeks ago? (BTW, once you get the trophy, you never lose it, it was a waste of time!)

Because the sequel game is about to come, I wanted to play through as an evil character to have different history to import. Again, while I have many things to do during the day, he will call and cannot understand why I haven't finished already. Then he will go on and on about all the things I just have to do, while, tick tick, I'm stuck listening to all this and not actually playing.

Oh look, guess who is calling for an 'update' seriously. sigh.

I don't normally swear but...

I needed to get that off my chest.

k

Speaking of Dragon Age, the leaking of the sequel onto the internet sparked a debate on a gaming forum I'm a member of, that I just think is completely pointless.

The question is whether or not piracy is "bad". People who say it's not bad are under the assumption that the people who pirate the game will tell friends about it, and they will go out and buy it for themselves. Or that there are people that pirate games just to try them out/see if they'll run on their computer, then if they enjoy it, they'll buy it.

Um, no. People pirate games because they don't want to pay for them. If people can get something that usually costs money for free, even if it's completely illegal (like piracy is), there will be idiots that do it without remorse. These people are thieves, there is no question about it. They are in possession of a game that they did not pay for, a copy that goes against the copyright the game makers put on their product. The second you click that "download" button, you are breaking the law. There is no middle ground.

Speaking of Dragon Age, the leaking of the sequel onto the internet sparked a debate on a gaming forum I'm a member of, that I just think is completely pointless.

The question is whether or not piracy is "bad". People who say it's not bad are under the assumption that the people who pirate the game will tell friends about it, and they will go out and buy it for themselves. Or that there are people that pirate games just to try them out/see if they'll run on their computer, then if they enjoy it, they'll buy it.

Um, no. People pirate games because they don't want to pay for them. If people can get something that usually costs money for free, even if it's completely illegal (like piracy is), there will be idiots that do it without remorse. These people are thieves, there is no question about it. They are in possession of a game that they did not pay for, a copy that goes against the copyright the game makers put on their product. The second you click that "download" button, you are breaking the law. There is no middle ground.

Not that I disagree with you, but does being illegal necessarily make it morally wrong? Were the Jim Crow laws "right" simply because they were law? I think using legal and right interchangeably is placing far too much faith in the status quo; nobody would argue that piracy isn't illegal, but it's not "pointless" to question whether there are times it can be morally acceptable.

How about a hypothetical situation: if I were to buy a song from Amazon .mp3 or any other legal service, is it wrong for me to then download that song illegally? Would the same apply to games? IMO, when you buy a movie or song you aren't really buying that specific copy- if that was true, it would illegal for me to make copies of those songs to put on my phone or to back up my original copy. Really, what you're purchasing is a licence to that media for personal use, and with that licence comes a right to download that media, whether for quality, restoration, or simply because you feel like it.

Ultimately, there IS a middle ground with piracy- I think there are times when it's perfectly acceptable to download a song, movie, or game; the fact that it's a black-or-white issue in the face of the law is part of what makes filesharing discussion-worthy.

Not that I disagree with you, but does being illegal necessarily make it morally wrong? Were the Jim Crow laws "right" simply because they were law? I think using legal and right interchangeably is placing far too much faith in the status quo; nobody would argue that piracy isn't illegal, but it's not "pointless" to question whether there are times it can be morally acceptable.

How about a hypothetical situation: if I were to buy a song from Amazon .mp3 or any other legal service, is it wrong for me to then download that song illegally? Would the same apply to games? IMO, when you buy a movie or song you aren't really buying that specific copy- if that was true, it would illegal for me to make copies of those songs to put on my phone or to back up my original copy. Really, what you're purchasing is a licence to that media for personal use, and with that licence comes a right to download that media, whether for quality, restoration, or simply because you feel like it.

Ultimately, there IS a middle ground with piracy- I think there are times when it's perfectly acceptable to download a song, movie, or game; the fact that it's a black-or-white issue in the face of the law is part of what makes filesharing discussion-worthy.

I understand exactly what you're saying, and I absolutely respect that stance, but that's not exactly the kind of piracy I'm talking about. I mean downloading licensed media that you did not pay for, then treating it as if you bought it. If you DID buy the rights to a song from Amazon, backing it up or creating another copy for yourself is totally fine. But is the same true if you plan on distributing those copies to other individuals, without purchasing it multiple times?

Also: I know I'm really crazy late to the party with this, but I just downloaded the updated version of iTunes, the BIG update where it added Ping and the new icon. To put it bluntly, I hate it so far. The font is uglier, the icon is hideous, and it just seems... too different, I dunno.

I have a new least favorite thing... things that sound good in theory, but suck in real life. For example, my oceanography professor does this thing where he cuts your study guide in half, he gives you hlf of it over a week, and the last half the week after. This sounds really good, but Ive had two weeks to study part 1, and less than a week to study part 2 as we got it last Monday. The test is today, and I had to work my ass off to finish the study guide, as the "half" he gave us consisted of 29 new short answer questions... with a two to three page response each. That's a lot of work on top of my other classes. I feel confident that I know the material, but I wish I would have just been given the study guide all at one. Sure, I probably would have hated doing 50 questions all at once, but its better as I get more time to study as opposed to getting an entire new list of questions less than a week before the test.

I understand exactly what you're saying, and I absolutely respect that stance, but that's not exactly the kind of piracy I'm talking about. I mean downloading licensed media that you did not pay for, then treating it as if you bought it. If you DID buy the rights to a song from Amazon, backing it up or creating another copy for yourself is totally fine. But is the same true if you plan on distributing those copies to other individuals, without purchasing it multiple times?

Technically when you purchase a software (like Photoshop), you still don't own it whatsoever, but instead, you are given the right to use that software, but not distribute it. Second copies (for example ROM images) are also technically illegal regardless of whether or not you own the original software, according to Nintendo...

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

I have my own views on piracy and I won't go into too much detail here. Let's just say I'm not a fan of stuff like Vevo taking over the world.

^As much as I adored that show, Charlie Sheen had it coming based on all the self-destructive stuff he's been taking part in, as well as his ego reaching the size of a small planet to the point where he was probably impossible to work with.

I honestly feel worse for John Cryer (Sp?) and the rest of the cast, who will soon be out of a job as a result of Charlie Sheen being...Charlie Sheen.

On another note, a girl I became really good friends with is basically being shut in by her parents, as they've canceled every class she does (including the one where I met her, and the only place I ever have a chance to see her) and tripled her workload (homeschooled). One of my few friends that I see often and now...gone. Joy.