TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

To everyone with full sized trucks and SUVs: Your vehicle won't fall apart if you don't come to a complete stop for each axle at every speed bump. You could go over it at 10, 15 or even 20 mph! Everything will be okay. I promise.

I'm confused....

I've been playing trombone for 5 years, and my band director mentioned I should double on baritone/euphonium for marching band, as marching baritones are easier to march with than trombones. I started about 3 weeks ago and I am in love with the sound of that horn. One of the other instructors of our band is amazed at my tone. I know the school has a beautiful silver concert euphonium and I've been thinking about, starting my 10th grade year, auditioning for District Band/Orchestra on both trombone and euph. However, I take private trombone lessons and I'm not so sure really how to bring it up to my teacher. I love both instruments, I just hate trombone parts in orchestral pieces. And I'm also auditioning for the local youth symphony and I'm still not sure if that wind-lacking ensemble needs a trombone or a euph. more. Euphonium parts almost always contain beautiful solos and melody parts and the trombone always gets stuck with like 50 gazillion measures of resting, and when we do play, it's always something dumb. I doubt he'll care, but It's just weird.

Also, there are 2 concert bands in my town, the Reed Band and the Civic Band, and they hate each other. My band director, one of our visual/music staff members (Actually a different school's director) and my private teacher are both in the Civic Band, and I'm in the Reed Band. It's really funny to argue with my band director about which is better because we get along so great. I really don't care about the whole Reed/Civic band thing. It's always funny to joke with them about it.

There's at least 250+ pieces of music in the Reed Band folders to choose from. Why do we play the same ~15 songs every single year?

The guy who wrote our marching band show needs to learn not to write stuff from previous shows he's done for us in them. There's stuff from last year's marching band show and the indoor percussion show from 2 years ago in this year's show. It's just really odd.

It started raining at Kennywood yesterday right after the parade. We were gonna ride Pitt Fall, and I had never been on a drop tower before and I was excited. Guess what happened after we got in line? Thunder. Yep. SO there goes that plan. Then I went to get a refill on my souvenir cup I had from earlier this year then, and my whole group except for 1 person ditched me. I then had to go back to the pavilion in the pouring rain, with the person I was with stopping in every single gift shop to buy something. HE NEVER DID!! By the time we got back, we were both soaking wet

Sky Rocket was not worth an hour in line IMO. It had technical difficulites, then they decided to put a second train on after hour-long waits were prevalent ALL DAY!!! And the music in the line kept randomly stopping.

I'm sorry if this was a little too long, or if the first few rants made no sense to you. At least I found out the new assistant band director is a coaster nut like myself. He told me how ACE almost wasn't allowed back to Idlewild when he worked there, because of what they were trying to do on rides.

PS: I might become a Club TPR member this October!

When people write dollar amounts with the dollar sign following the amount. Example: 10$.

And when people write a dollar amount less than $1.00 as ".54¢" 54/100 of a cent? Would you like change back from your penny?

Just a peeve-ity, pissy day for me.

Eric

^ I think my problem with all of the quirks and foibles of people's writing comes from me being a technical writer and just one who wants to express things correctly. There are many things I could peeve about in that regard, but I just happened to pick that one today because I saw something earlier.

Eric

It's really awful that it's only day three of my senior year and I'm already expected to know what limits are and how to use them, how the Plague affected central Europe, why the poem 'Pied Beauty' is significant for anything, have about 30 pieces of music and drills memorized for marching band, and to know that 'public static void main (String[]args)' actually means something in Java without it being explained to me. UGH.

^^

In mathematics, the concept of a "limit" is used to describe the value that a function or sequence "approaches" as the input or index approaches some value. The concept of limit allows one to, in a complete space, define a new point from a Cauchy sequence of previously defined points. Limits are essential to calculus (and mathematical analysis in general) and are used to define continuity, derivatives and integrals.

The concept of the limit of a function is further generalized to the concept of topological net, while the limit of a sequence is closely related to limit and direct limit in category theory.

In formulas, limit is usually abbreviated as lim as in lim(an) = a or represented by the right arrow (→) as in an → a.

I thought everyone knew this

Just kidding - calc SUCKED!

I think you need to specify the value that is changing as well, so you have the lim(an) = a as n approaches 1.

And, if I remember correctly, as you're doing your calculations, if you wind up with division by zero or infinity/infinity, you need to take the derivative and figure the limit from that. That can be seen in lim(ax^2/x) as x approaches 0 or infinity.

So I guess my rant is that I remember this...?

Just don't ask me to do derivatives.