TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

My weekend agenda: Get substantial work done on 2 chapters of history, study for the AP Euro exam which is this Friday, study for the AP Bio exam which is the ensuing Monday, and practice for my jazz bad audition which is Tuesday. This is going to be a very fun weekend.

^rule #1 of the internet.

Even though someone will say "oh you deserved it for being annoying". I really can't stand my user title. Even when I had the avatar up saying that I hated the two in the user title. I still get people coming up to me saying "Hey man, whats your favorite Lady Gaga song???". I would then go and ask them if they had saw my avatar (now signature), and they would think that is just one of the mods messing with my account.

This is a note to all morons. If you really think that I like the two girls in my user title, then you're an idiot.

v - I bet you feel so clever for saying "oh you deserved it for being annoying"

Your on hold with a call centre for 45 minutes...every two minutes you get the "your call is important to us". Between which they play the same two minute section of the same crappy elevator music. You dont even get a whole tune out of it.

Then there is a click. Silence. You heart rises as you think your finally getting through. There is no voice. There is nothing, not even Zuul. Disconnected. Dammit!

Its an important call. Something urgent has come up and it needs dealt with. You call back immediately. The call centre is now closed.

It may not be wise to teach me how to use a gun.

Everyone always says when they play the Rachmaninoff piano transcription of Flight of the Bumblebee that it was the original and then somebody else made it for orchestra. Wrong, IDIOTS!!!

And also with the same theme, people say that it should be played in under a minute. (throws hands up in frustration) The original was just over 3 minutes long at the speed indicated by the composer, a Mr. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov!!!! Somewhere, those that play it in under a minute aren't playing at least HALF of the music, maybe less!!!! Or...They aren't playing the original music!!!

I detest any professional musical performance that does not use the original music or is a 1:1 transcription of the original! No more arrangements!!

I think I've made my point.

/rant.

Fox NEWS!!! ITS NOT EVEN REAL NEWS!!! My dad watches O'reilly and Hannity every night when I can just tell my dad what theyre gonna say. He pretty much wants people to reassure him Obama sucks and Busch was good, but when I tell him its the other way around I get in trouble.

^ Busch seems to be doing a pretty good job at the moment. With a possible rocket coaster/drop tower next year, I'm really excited to see what Blackstone has in store for the future parks.

But seriously though, my parents are hardcore conservative as well. I just ignore it and stick with The Onion for legitimate news.

... and yes I feel that The Onion is a reliable news source (moreso than the other mainstream news sources).

I just had a not-very-pleasant experience with webuyanycar.com

Now, Its a great idea. Last car we sold there, all was fine, the guy at the local branch was friendly and fair, and gave us as decent a price as could be expected from a 'come and sell your car in ten minutes flat' type organisation.

When I went today? That nice chap wasnt there. Some other nugget was.

This other guy was a 'typical' second hand car salesman. Like the ones from the cartoons. He had a really fake, untrustworthy feeling, sleazy kind of 'friendly personality' and way too much hair product on his slimey looking head. I got the distinct feeling he was probably a sleaqze to women as well. You do have to expect that when selling a car to a 'trade professional' from time to time. But this was something else. If I didnt care about being arrested, I would have smacked him just for the pleasure of it. He was that awful.

And then he offeres a price way below what I was expecting. And thats bottom rung expecting, not hoping. Like hundreds less that the evaluation that the company gave me. I talked him up a few hundred, but then he started pulling one of my pet hates. The favour tactic. This is where they take alot away with one hand, and give a tiny amount back with the other, acting as though they are doing you a favour.

Lots of things like "No-one pays the ticket price when they buy a car, and thats all Im doing now".

And "Well, i know its lower than you wanted, but what I will do is add on £30 so you dont have to cover the Chaps charge to get you the money tomorrow."

Or the best one "I will give you £1700 but I will only put £1650 in your bank because you can get the other £50 from claiming your tax disc."

Now that last one is REALLY cheeky. Some second hand dealers do keep the tax disc and claim it themselves, others give it to you, but Ive never seen one take the money for it off their offer price. I had to mentally restrain myself from hitting him just for that. And Im not normaly a violent man. Im almost surprised he didnt also try to take off money that the insurance company owes me.

If I wasnt needing to do a fast on-the-day sale, then I would have just got up and left. Maybe thats the price I pay for the convenience. They bank on people needing to sell quickly. They try to get you to feel that you want to sell it more than they want to buy it. And that puts the power in their hands.

Even though the first car we sold to them all went well and was quite easy and pleasant, This experience just about put me off the company all together. I dont know who trains second hand car dealers to be like that, but damn, they need to be hurt.

Do you think they have a special class in the training program which teaches them how to over-use hair gel?

Alright, so I got into the whole coaster enthusiast thing about 3 years ago. I was mainly interested in my home park, SFGAm, and soon discovered an entire forum dedicated to it, SFGAmworld.com. I joined, and started to contribute to the forum. Through the next couple of years, I discovered new coaster sites (TPR, Westcoaster, Orlando United, etc.) and slowly only started visiting SFGAmworld.com about once a week. Recently, I began reading the forum more often, and discovered how the attitudes of the people there had changed severely. People who deserved to be banned, weren't, and people who decided to not happily agree with the mods and other members were quickly shut out.

A recent topic on the SFGAmworld forums has been the status of Chang from SFKK. Of course, many SFGAm fanboys are all for the addition of Chang to the park. Many of them are already certain that it will appear in the park in 2011, and are acting as though some sort of official announcement has been made. Here's where things bother me. I posted that they all might be in for a surprise in 2011, and that Chang might be sent elsewhere. I also stated my disgust with how the forums were being run, and how the members on there were acting. Later, I received a reply from one of the mods on the boards.

Hey genius. If you are sick with this topic, don't read it and dont reply to it.

You make me sick with your responses. TOOL!!!!!

To be honest, I was merely stating my opinion of the Chang situation and how I didn't want to visit the site anymore because of all the negative energy. I was blatantly called out by a moderator, one who is supposed to control the boards and its members. To me, that's just immaturity and not being open to other people's opinions. I've obviously left the site, and don't plan on returning. So, that's basically it, but it explains the reason that I love TPR!

(Oh, and thanks Nathan (kumba830) and Jon (deathbydinn) for backing me up!)

^ There's a reason that sites like TPR and Westcoaster remain popular---it's because the mods there know what they're doing and allow reasonable discussions to continue. A mod that respond to a straightforward question like yours in such a nasty manner shouldn't be a mod. In my opinion, at least.

Eric

^If you ask me about being a mod, I seriously think a mod who is laid back, but not hesitant on the B&hammer is the perfect mod. Westcoaster being the perfect example with those types of mods, then again, I think Westcoaster and TPR each have different attitudes on how a community is run. Unfortunately, a case with most communities is that some mods can be elitist, no matter how big or small it is. It seems like one tiny ounce of power, even if its on something as insignificant as an internet message board, can drive people mad with power.

Sometimes it seems like TPR got a little too strict, then again a larger userbase can get out of hand easily. Especially since you have a lot of younger users still "learning to internets."

A mod should always be somebody neutral that is respected by the community, mature, and sets an example for the community and the site itself.

Mr. Starr, that post you quoted is a prime example of why I tend to avoid a majority of park fansites. A lot of the users are just extreme fanboys that suck up to the mods and admins opinions, and that call users stupid if they don't follow their hivemind opinion of "my park > your park."

Also; to the last page,

When /b/ leaks onto TPR. Not funny.

When /b/ leaks anywhere on the internet really, even on other boards on 4chan itself.

Exactly, and to add to that, the only websites I follow pretty much daily now are only TPR and Westcoaster, considering I used to check up to ten sites a day. I've realized that I'm not a "fanboy" of anything, because, basically, that means b*tching and groaning about everything thing. Sometimes, you just have to look at the big friggin' picture.

God I could add so much to the SFGAMWorld rant. I've said it before and I'll say it again, while Robb and the other mods on here can be a little tough, they know how to run a site!!! The mods on SFGAMW are like three year olds where if you don't agree with them your wrong and shot down by members and other mods. SFGAMWorld used to be a very good site (and many parts still are) but I can't read the forums without being disgusted by the way the members act and treat each other. Theyre all fanboys who never say one bad thing about the park.

When /b/ leaks anywhere on the internet really, even on other boards on 4chan itself.

The problem with this statement is that /b/ is so prevalent online, it's practically impossible to escape. I'd say about 90% of the memes that are found on the Internet can trace its roots back to /b/ or YouTube.

It seems like one tiny ounce of power, even if its on something as insignificant as an internet message board, can drive people mad with power.

Human nature is a wonderful thing isn't it?

But to go back on topic, Mr. Starr's post is pretty much the exact reason why I refuse to join park fansite/message boards. Sites like Pointbuzz, BGEscape, and SFGAmWorld are filled with nothing but immature, elitist pr*cks that seem to think that their park is better than everyone elses and that's all they care to talk about.

Especially the fights that go on between KDFansite and BGEscape. Both sites have pretty much turned flaming each other and bashing the other park into an art form.

Yeah SFGAm World is a joy...

I told them I was done with the sight and wrote up a farewell letter. Then I get insulted after I leave.

^See you at Busch Gardens with your whole 4 coasters.

After someone defends me...

Busch Gardens get pretty boring even in just one day. You have obviously never been there. While Montu, Kumba, Gwazi, and Sheikra are good rides, they have no good flats, and it gets way to over crowded

for such a small park. Dont get me wrong, its a nice little park with a beutiful animal section, but its definatley a one day park. I would definatley take our depth of good flats, alot of decent coasters, and overall a great park where you could never get bored.

If youre gonna hate on our park, get the hell of our forums!

Holy Fanboys! [Oh and notice the lovely grammar in the second post]

This is why I love TPR. It has great mod's, great members, and it's an amazing site!

^But there is also a lot of "lovely grammar" on TPR!

I totally agree with all these posts regarding moderation, though.

What you should strive to do is be polite, friendly, and helpful.

You should never be rude or insulting. That is both wrong and in poor taste.

I know there is kind of an acceptable middle ground including sarcasm, exasperation, ranting and the like, but on TPR it seems to always be well-deserved and not cross the line.

Edit: these are general opinions derived from my views on human nature, and are what I would personally prefer to see. I'm not actually personally familiar with "moderation etiquette".

God I could add so much to the SFGAMWorld rant. I've said it before and I'll say it again, while Robb and the other mods on here can be a little tough, they know how to run a site!!! The mods on SFGAMW are like three year olds where if you don't agree with them your wrong and shot down by members and other mods. SFGAMWorld used to be a very good site (and many parts still are) but I can't read the forums without being disgusted by the way the members act and treat each other. Theyre all fanboys who never say one bad thing about the park.

Don't worry, I've had well over a dozen anti-fanboy post there deleted. I saw the way they treated you and others; it was pathetic at it's best. Having an option on a park, positive or negative, should not be taken as a personal attack.

You know that feeling you get when your best friend decides to ask out the girl you liked for 9 months(/other best friend) but broke your heart, and she accepts? And then they make a pact to not tell you anything anymore even though they're both your best friends? Yeah, I'm kinda getting that feeling right now.