TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

Believe me, I know. They won't refund the 50$ I paid for the ticket either, which is just as ridiculous. They have dumb rules for that, in my school in order to be able to attend prom, in the month before it, you can't be late to school more than 2x, get written up more than 2x, have any overdue library books, lose any school property, fail a class, anything like that and it prevents you from going to one of the biggest events in HS. It's terrible but I'm gonna make sure i get to go next year...

I'm being a technical editor again for these rants:

When people put the $ sign after the dollar amount (like "10$." It goes before it, as in "$10.")

When people write "ect." instead of "etc." That stands for et cetera, a Latin phrase for "and so on."

Nit picky to be sure, and there may well be more ahead, but please know that all I want to do is to turn a couple of bad habits around for some of you. It could mean the difference between getting a job in the future---or not...

Eric

^ People really put the $ after the amount? I have never seen that before.

Believe me, I know. They won't refund the 50$ I paid for the ticket either, which is just as ridiculous. They have dumb rules for that, in my school in order to be able to attend prom, in the month before it, you can't be late to school more than 2x, get written up more than 2x, have any overdue library books, lose any school property, fail a class, anything like that and it prevents you from going to one of the biggest events in HS. It's terrible but I'm gonna make sure i get to go next year...

Most schools have rules like this, it is in place to give people some incentive for following the rules. I'll agree that a late library book is a little extreme however. Of course it all depends on how late you were.

I think the Swine Flu is going to everyone's heads.

Today at school, there are these two white kids who were wearing masks over their mouths today. But what really got me angry was when they went up to every black and mexican kid in the school and telling them: "Don't sneeze on me".

WTF?!? And they didn't even tell that to the white kids either.

^Yeah, my dad instantly becomes an insane germophobe as soon as he heres about any type of disease. I scratched my nose and he totally went off on me about putting my fingers near my face. Which really pisses me off because early last spring my brother pushed me into the freezing water off a dock with sludge and plastic bottles floating in it and sh*t and my dad just laughed and said it was no big deal. I got mild hypothermia.

After 10 great years, my teal Game Boy Color finally died

Apparently I left the old batteries in the system too long and they, underwent battery rot. I cleaned it out and replaced the batteries with new ones, but when I turned it on, I got a blank screen. I tried turning it on and off again but it still didn't work.

This was the first game console I owned and the first one I played endlessly. Luckily I still have my GBA so I can still play my GB and GBC games no problem. But it just doesn't feel the same. Its also survived some pretty harsh punishments like getting dropped, slammed against things, etc...

GBC 1999-2009

And swine flu is just an overreaction.

So I attended a protest of a Pets Plus store in Lansdale, PA on Saturday. The reason for the protest was because Pets Plus refuses to use so-called "reputable" breeders for their sale of puppies. Personally, I hate the fact that puppies are sold while there are tons of animals in shelters across the country, but that is a different story.

Now, I have attended many-a-protest in my day, so I have developed a thick skin. There is one thing that has bothered me for the past few days though. An older gentleman, probably about 75 years old, drove by and yelled "Get a life!" From one angle, it was kind of funny. The 75 year old man clearly really gave his all into the yell, whic was noticable by the strain in his face. But a few things came to mind:

What do you care that I'm here doing this?

What do you know about me that makes you think I don't have a life?

I mean seriously. On Saturday I:

Fed and gave water to my foster cats

Attended the protest from 10AM-1PM

Drove about 40 minutes to pick up an order of donuts and other fine things from Vegan Treats in Bethlehem

Stopped and took some pictures at Dorney Park

Went to Lowes to pick up a few things for house upgrades and repairs

Went to the farmer's market to grab some local fruits and vegetables

Cleaned the room in which I have my foster cats

Put up a gate on our patio fence

Repaired a closet door

Went to the YMCA for a pilates class

Cleaned the grill, and made grilled pizza, breadsticks, mushrooms and eggplant for dinner

Enjoyed the meal with Tricia outside on our new patio set

Chilled out for the night and read a Consumer Reports while watching Old School

Do I truly not have a life??? Is it because I'm not sitting on my ass and watching reruns of CSI Miami all day, going out to play miniature golf, or driving around and yelling at people out on the corner to get a life?

Disappointment FTL.

My best friend and I are going to Niagara Falls to celebrate my 19th birthday a week late (drinking/gambling age in Canada is 19). I had her convinced to take a side trip to Canada's Wonderland with me, but we can't because A) the park is only open on weekends and B) she has work on Friday, so we can't stay that long.

Finally I thought I was gonna be able to get on Behemoth...probably as close as I'll ever get

What annoys me, and is quite prevalent on this site, is that bug that gets up peoples arse's just because they post more than one time a day in one thread, like in the WTF is it thread.

What's the problem? It's not like someone is going to achieve godlike status with a large amount of posts. Some people (like me) are used to coming off slightly more active forums, and so post a lot in one topic, because everyone else is posting fast in the same topic. Just let people reply when they want!

/rant

^ Along that line is one of my peeves---and I see it here a lot as well. It's when people go back to edit a post to say "WOOHOO!!!1!!1!! MY 600th POST!!!1!!!"

So. What?

It's about quality, not quantity. Sure, I have a lot of posts, but then I've been here since 2005. Four years' worth.

Eric

What annoys me, and is quite prevalent on this site, is that bug that gets up peoples arse's just because they post more than one time a day in one thread, like in the WTF is it thread.

What's the problem? It's not like someone is going to achieve godlike status with a large amount of posts. Some people (like me) are used to coming off slightly more active forums, and so post a lot in one topic, because everyone else is posting fast in the same topic. Just let people reply when they want!

/rant

Didn't you do this when you joined here??????

^ Along that line is one of my peeves---and I see it here a lot as well. It's when people go back to edit a post to say "WOOHOO!!!1!!1!! MY 600th POST!!!1!!!"

I think its more of a milestone thing. Kinda like how some people tend to celebrate their 100th coaster.

I personally don't like...

Posts in all caps since I can't really read it.

People who post with multiple colors in a single post.

People who have far too many spelling/grammar mistakes for a single post.

And people who abuse emoticons when they don't need to be abused.

One thing that I've really come to hate over the years (and it seems to be quite prevalent down here in TX) is when instructors are always impatient and telling you to show more energy, move faster, etc.

One of my instructors from karate a couple years ago who will remain anonymous for this rant followed this approach wholeheartedly - I don't think there were many people in my class that liked this drill sergeant lady, but I'm not sure if they got as upset as I did when she yelled at the class. Partly, because I'm normally a very laid back person and I felt I was already moving as fast as I was comfortable with. She was a major reason I just stopped going to class.

And this isn't really aimed at her personally, but rather instructors that have this kind of mentality in general. My Chemistry and Programming professors this semester can be like this sometimes, they're always constantly encouraging us to be more actively involved in the learning process than we are.

The fact of the matter is, some people just prefer to remain quiet, don't feel comfortable speaking out in class, prefer to go at our own pace, or some combo of those - and I am one of those people. If you don't like it, most of us will just say tough, or turn down our energy level even more. Having a "you must go at my pace" attitude about being an instructor is like tailgating somebody on the freeway that's going slightly above the speed limit or telling a sacker at the grocery store to hurry up and finish sacking your groceries.

"I'm not a big fan of people signing their posts." (Manny In England)

Maybe I'm biased because I do that, but I don't have a problem if the person signs their real first name (as I do). A screen name doesn't usually reflect a person's real name.

Today I got home from work and found five empty beer cans in the street by my driveway, and a sixth one up near the house. I wish I knew who was drinking beer and tossing the cans. But the upside is that I collected them and put them in with my own cans, so someone else's trash is more cash for me.

Eric