TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

It's not about the phone, it's the fact that schools make rules with harsh punishments for no reason.

A big part of High School is learn discipline. A fact is there are a lot of dumb rules in the real world, but you still have to follow them. Furthermore I find that there really are no completely random rules out there, there are simply rules that you don't understand. If the school doesn't want you to take a particular route to class, there is likely a reason they don't want you going that way. In fact I had the same complaint in High School, and eventually asked the Principal why they blocked a particular route. The answer was relatively simply, the route I wanted to go had a wide open gate that made it very easy to cut and leave campus (which I of course had no idea about ). On top of that the school didn't have the resources to post somebody by that gate, so they stood elsewhere and directed people where to go, and made clear that we couldn't go that path. Seemed weird at the time but once explained it made sense.

In response to all of the above posts about cell phones in class, yes, I agree that it is very disruptive and inappropriate, which is why it upset me a little when it happened. I try to always keep my phone on vibrate or off for class, but on that day I accidentally forgot, and then I got the telemarketer call in class. Bad luck.

I don't even use my cell phone that much, at least not in comparison to other people my age, but my parents are trying to get me to be vigilant about carrying it with me wherever I go so that I can easily contact people if an emergency happens.

And yes, the Mario song is the ringtone I was using at the time. At least it was that one that went off instead of my other ringtone (Chocolate Rain by Tay Zonday) which would have been even more disruptive IMO!

On another forum I visit, one of mods on there (who is friends with the owner) (I am friends with him too {the owner}) is constantly posting about legalizing weed. I am not going into if it should or not on here, but I don't think it should. Anyways, he constantly posts on there about legalizing it and it is starting to annoy me (news articles about people who are famous using it, articles saying that it isn't as dangerous as other drugs, etc.). Of couse the owner thinks it should be legalized also so it will continue to be posted.

^There are medicinal purposes for it and it is far less destructive and addictive than someone downing a few beers and getting behind the wheel of a car. (Although that stuff is worse on your lungs than smoking cigarettes)

Because of several people I know that are HIV-positive and use it to help them with the symptoms of their medication, I have no problem with it being legalized.

Anyway, as for your friend, you need to ask him why he think it needs to be legalized. If his reasons are just to party, then he needs to stop talking about it all the time... he might just be a pothead.

Terry

^^ I would be lying, when I would say I never smoked weed, but those were the 90´s and I was young and very stupid!

I see it from the same point as Terrance:

Using it for medical reasons (not only HIV, also the Parkinson´s disease or Multiple sclerosis) is totally ok and shouldn´t be damned by anybody.

But smoking weed just for party-reasons is something i can´t agree with.

If someone ever turns their car's rear window into a memorial for me, I'll seriously come back from the dead just to kick their a$$. Honestly, that's such a pet peeve of mine. Whenever I see a stupid sticker memorializing someone, I just think, "Really, that's how you choose to honor your loved one - by slapping the years of his/her life on your back window?" Sorry, it just seems so pointless to me. [/end rant]

^ Here in Southern California, you see that a lot for young men who passed away at a young age---and who were quite likely gang members.

As for another peeve, also ar rear window related, the pictures people put up to represent their families. I saw one on Saturday that had about nine kids listed, the parents, and the family pets. Then there's one here in town that has a big white Raiders logo (representing Dad), a big pink one (for Mom), and a bunch of mini Raider-logos for the kids. Epic fail.

Now, I'm proud of my family, but you'll never see them on my back window.

Eric

^ I saw one of those once while sitting at a red light. While sitting there I figured out that there were 5 people in the family including Mom, Dad, and three kids. Under the kids their names were listed (first names only) as well as the names of the family pets, cat and a dog. Their license plate frame said something to the effect of "The Brown Family bus." Also from this sticker on the back I knew the sexes of the children, I knew the middle one played soccer (he had his foot on a soccer ball) and sadly I knew the youngest child was in a wheelchair. Last thing I learned from the back of this families car is where their kids went to school due to the bumper sticks proclaiming where their kids are honor students. So in two minutes at a red light I was able to find out a ton of information about this family without them having any idea. Kind of scary when you think about information like that getting into the wrong hands.

O.k., this is the third week we life without a House-maid.

My family is running out of fresh laundry and my house is a total mess! And the only thing my wife can tell me is:

"Honey, why should I do the laundry, shops are stuffed with new clothes!"

...said and went shopping until the credit card starts glowing!

^the cleaning people in my office insist on fixing my desk. I flipped down the picture of my (ex?) boyfriend on my desk...and every morning I come in and they are sitting back up. WTF???!!!

Positively Pomegranate Orbit Gum

When I picked it up, looking innocent in its wrapper, I thought....Yum, I love pomegranate...I will love this.

First the opened pack was in my purse.

I tried a few pieces, it was okay, but not superior to the other minty gum that sat next to it. So the pomegranate got neglected. After a few days of being in my purse...it started to giving me reminders me it was there. A smell….kinda like fruit juice mixed with pencil lead.

I wasn’t amused and I cant throw it out (It goes against my ingrained upbringing).

So, I leave it in my car.

Now, my car smells like rotting fruit and pencils and it isn't just a slight lingering odor...you get a whiff of it immediately after opening up the car door (seriously, I never experienced gum with such power).

Since it has been in my car, you would think that my purse has gone back to its original non-smelly self. NO! IT HASNT!!! AND IM SO SICK OF THAT FREAKING SMELL!!!!

Therefore, I picked up a pack of Mint Mojito Orbit.... but I'm debating on opening it.

^ You may just want to put your (ex?) boyfriend's picture in your drawer instead of flipping it down. The cleaning people may just think it got tipped over accidentally.

^ As for your gum dilemma...that's a sticky one...

My rant is that when I go to the library for a change of pace, people forget to put their phones on vibrate or off. The ringtones are often bad enough, but then they take the call sitting right there, talking as though they're on the street. Hello...it's a library! If you're going to talk as though you're out on the street, then go out to the street!

Eric

So our school district, like ALL school districts in CA is in the midst of a budget crises.

For the 6 years my son has been going to his school, there has always been 1 crossing guard. Now, all of a sudden, there are two. The one that's been there FOREVER just sits there, and doesn't do ANYTHING.

And to top it off, yesterday when I drove by, she was knitting. WTF??? Why are my Tax $$'s going to pay this lady to sit in the sun and knit???

Oh, and for you CA peeps ... if you want to know how much your taxes are going up, click here:

http://cssrc.us/web/35/taxhikecalculator.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

There were these new terrible boys at KT's Gymboree Play Class on Tuesday and I'm pretty sure they got her sick. I knew they were trouble from Music, and they were all snotty and coughing (NOT ALLOWED) but the terrible mom brought them anyway and now KT is totally hoarse and her nose is stuffy...plus she tells me "Tummy Ouch" which just breaks my heart.

I know kids get sick a lot, but when you're kid is obviously sick, why would you bring them to a class to get all the other kids sick too!!

^^ I agree with you 100%, but in many cases, employers no longer offer sick pay. A lot of parents can't afford to take the day off---even though they should---so they drop their sick kids off at daycare/pre-school. What we used to do with Diana is split the day---I took her in the morning, then we switched at lunchtime.

Of course, there are the ones who just want to get rid of the kid for the day so they get a break. I understand that, but when you choose to have kids, you take all that goes along with it.

Then there are the parents that bring their screaming kids to the library, but I've already addressed library noise above.

Eric

^^ I can understand you so much!

Everytime there´s a new wave of bad cold or anything like flu reaching our 2 kids kindergarten, we leave them at home.

For parents it the pure horror to see that their children have aches or pain that you can´t take away from them, and it´s even the pure horror that you can´t get a single moment of sleep while having sick kiddies in the house.

...it´s not such a problem with our son: when he feels sick, he is very silent and wants to sleep all the time, but with my daughter Marlene, she turns in an awful "Drama-Queen" that sees her mommy and daddy as private slaves, asking for something to drink, another (=daddy´s) pillow, etc..... all through the night!

But, back to basic, in my eyes, Parents who send their sick children to a place where they can infect other children act in a total irresponsible way.

Regarding paid time off, it should be granted for parents to take care of sick kids, or themselves. Unfortunately, too many people take advantage of sick time and use it for "mental health days." I personally know people who routinely call in "sick" so they can go to the beach, shop, etc.

As was explained to me by one company, that's why they took sick time away---abuse by employees.

Eric