TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

[in reference to rap] "it is in fact NOT music. It really is just crap."

How is it not music? Seriously. I want to know.

^ Well... If you really want to know. I'll put it in a PM as not to turn the thread into a debate.

Actually, I'm pretty interested in your answer as well. I respect your opinion on whether you like it or not, but not acknowledging it as music seems rather odd.

From the "Only In South Florida" files:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/custom/fringe/sfl-0825mallofamerica,0,3919945.story

Marijuana plants found growing at Miami's Mall of the Americas

The Mall of the Americas in Miami was home to a business not usually found among the food courts, retail stores and movie theaters of similar locations: a hydroponic nursery with more than 200 marijuana plants.

Federal agents seized the plants on Friday. The grow operation was found deep in a storeroom at the mall. Authorities say the growers used the mall's electricity to power their equipment, adding the flimsy wiring could have caused a fire.

Agents would not say how the drugs were found, and no arrests have been made.

I heard about this on the news. They said the only way to get to this area was through an air shaft, which makes me think that people in management or an owner is part of this. The person working at the Chick-fil-A wouldn't know about the area, or even security.

I'm suspecting a big arrest coming up.

Terry

^ I try not to be self-righteous but drugs make me sick. Anyone involved in dealing them should be given LONG jail sentences for the potential lives they could have destroyed/the ones they actually did.

I was at a party a couple of years ago (only just turned 16 today too) and offered a joint which I took but had the sense to think "Bad idea, Kate" & give it back. That person has since been arrested & I think is serving time. She was the big sister of one of the other girls. I mean, fancy handing out drugs to 14-year-old girls... NOT COOL.

>> On a different rant (but not to derail yours, Terrancew, why do family have to be so annoying? My little brother tries to best me in everything & we have ballet in common as a passion. What's worse though... well, a couple of examples:

Stupidly and dangerously, sometimes if I'm stretching, he'll come and yank on a random body part so I end up faceplanting or worse. I once did an ankle before a recital because of that. The night before another one, when I was asleep, he snuck into my room with Dad's clippers and swiped at my head...fortunately it had a #4 blade and it was the back of my head so it wasn't too bad when we had to go to the hairdressers the next day to repair my cut.

That goes behind competitive into 'ship your butt to military school' type territory but Dad won't do anything to punish him, just laughs stupidly Stupid parent. On that second occasion, Mum just confiscated his icecream (ooh! MAJOR punishment. not) but he gets a ridiculous amount of pocket money so he just replaced it the next day and mooned me.

Wow, I could create my own sitcom out of the losers in my family.

Oh and Mum, she is Legally Blond. She has a Chihuahua too. Oh god, I hate that thing it's so spoiled.

Anyone want to exchange families?

Well that's not very Christian!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-0826knife,0,877599.story

Man pulls out knife at church buffet when he didn't receive butter

The Associated Press

7:09 AM EDT, August 26, 2008

OCALA, Fla. - Authorities say an Ocala man pulled a knife on members of a church congregation who would not give him butter from their morning buffet.

When 48-year-old Frankie Lewis couldn't get any butter on Sunday from the buffet line, police say he pulled his knife on members and threatened to cut them.

Police say Lewis eventually went to put the knife away, but that's when a church member hit him with a wooden board. Lewis then rode away on a bicycle, but police quickly caught him.

Lewis was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He was being held on $2,000 bail.

So exactly why wouldn't a church be Christian enough to give someone something as trivial as butter? That's what I'm messed up about.

I wouldn't be caught in that church, don't think they're practicing what they preach.

Terry

One thig that annoys me is people who don't close their mouth when they chew!

And I can't Stand that buzzing Rave crap that people blare out on there phones..........

My school starts at 9am and ends at 3:25pm. But I get up at 7:30am and don't usually get home until around 4pm.

People who are really loud when they talk and who cackle. Then, when you look at them with a 'WTF is wrong with you?' expression, they think YOU'RE the insane one.

Girls at my ballet school who act like they're princesses/seasoned pros that know it all.

People who cough without covering their mouth

Runners in my new cross country team who don't use deoderant then hang by me during a race and/or come up to talk and lift their arms up. Guys, buy some spray. It's cheap and I won't feel like smacking you.

People who talk on thier cell phones while checking out.
Ironic you mentioned that, because someone at Wal*Mart did that today. She was handing the credit card when the person on the other line said something, so she just held back. It took about 10 minutes for her to pay for 5 items.

^ I couldn't agree more. Working in retail, if I encounter someone on the phone, I won't even greet them and if there are other people waiting, they get priority

What I really hate is being ignored. Not just on TPR, but in real life. I hate it when I ask a question and the person either ignores me (i.e. turns away) or changes the subject by asking me where I'm from. What does that have to do with the conversation? I'm not going to list names, but such an incident did happen on the Europe trip when I asked someone a question and they simply turned away instead of answering it. It's rude, and I will remember it.

I also find it frustrating when I call someone or send them a message and they never reply. As with every job application and/or interview I've done, I hate it when they say that they will get back to me and they don't. Same goes for broken promises.

It also happens online. Even though I am a "thread killer", if I start a thread or post and nobody responds, I get frustrated, and this has prematurely ended many of my Photo TR's. I get lonely and depressed all the time, and being ignored only makes things worse.

Today I heard that in a California middle school some kid brought a gun magazine full of live ammunition to school because he was going to fight another kid at a nearby park. This is really stupid, because he wasn't carrying any kind of firearm. I'm not saying bringing bullets without a gun is stupid, but what's he gonna do, throw them at the kid? What are these people thinking...

Oh, you wanna know the REALLY pathetic part?

This was at my school. The most ghetto school on Earth, this kind of thing is pretty common. Am I really the only sane one in my school?

People on youtube who sit for almost each day of the year watching a video of something that they don't like (e.g. a band), and then post as many bad comments as they can in a day saying how much they that band.

I found this one person, on an Arcade Fire video, who for two months, has sent hate comments about Arcade Fire. There's another guy on youtube who says in all of his comments that he hates Freddy Mercury (singer of Queen), even though he never shuts up about him. Even his username is ''Freddyzgay''. This man has devoted his life on youtube for telling that people that he hates Freddy Mercury.

I'm sorry to say this on a good-hearted, fun-loving website like TPR, but I hope these people are killed in agonisenly slow way for wasting precious human existense.

^ I try not to be self-righteous but drugs make me sick. Anyone involved in dealing them should be given LONG jail sentences for the potential lives they could have destroyed/the ones they actually did. I was at a party a couple of years ago (only just turned 16 today too) and offered a joint which I took but had the sense to think "Bad idea, Kate" & give it back.

I don't condone underage drinking or smoking, but at the same time, I really don't understand why marijuana is looked so negatively upon. I've read that if one were to get caught with weed in the States, the severity is equivalent to possessing cocaine or meth. How does this make sense? Marijuana is branded as such a dangerous "drug," when in reality, that is completely false.

Annual Causes of Death in the United States in 2007:

Tobacco 435,000

Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity 365,000

Alcohol 85,000

Microbial Agents 75,000

Toxic Agents 55,000

Motor Vehicle Crashes 26,347

Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs 32,000

Suicide 30,622

Incidents Involving Firearms 29,000

Homicide 20,308

Sexual Behaviors 20,000

All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect 17,000

Marijuana 0

I know of some people who look down on my smoking weed because they think it's a "drug" and it's dangerous, yet they binge drink at parties and have the nerve to tell me that I have a problem. These same people who preach to me about how awful cannabis is, are also preaching about how it will ruin my life. Last I checked, I was accepted into an Ivy League University as a non-native English speaker, so I hardly find smoking weed damaging to my education or my future. If anything, getting trashed every night and then being hung over for class the next day is way worse than having a joint and chilling out to some good music before bed. I find it a bit annoying when people verbally bash or assume the worst without having any knowledge about marijuana. Don't smoke? Then don't judge someone who does and has it under control.

^I was going to say something to that effect in response. But I figured eventually someone was going to respond.

"Weed" is only about as dangerous as the person using it. People have to be responsible with things they do; that includes alcohol. Heck, weed is legal in Amsterdam and you don't hear about people dying and doing stupid stuff there. When I was there this summer, the only people acting up was some people from Germany yelling in the street because their team won a soccer match... and I think they were drunk rather than being high.

That said, I agree that kids under 18 shouldn't be doing it because a good number of them haven't learned about doing anything responsibly.... you know that nasty thing called peer pressure?

Terry

I have to agree with the last two posts. Personally I haven't smoked weed as its really something I was never interested in. But from my experiences seeing others try it the only ones who made poor choices and messed their lives up were irresponsible to begin with. I don't think any substance is inherently bad, in my mind it simply comes down to how much self awareness and control you have. I mean I enjoy the occasional drink but just because I'm a student doesn't mean I'm obligated to go out and get trashed every night.

I have to agree with the last two posts. Personally I haven't smoked weed as its really something I was never interested in. But from my experiences seeing others try it the only ones who made poor choices and messed their lives up were irresponsible to begin with. I don't think any substance is inherently bad, in my mind it simply comes down to how much self awareness and control you have. I mean I enjoy the occasional drink but just because I'm a student doesn't mean I'm obligated to go out and get trashed every night.

I'm glad that you feel that way! Many people who do not smoke cannabis automatically judge it and I'm happy that you are a bit more open and understanding about it. America (as well as the rest of the world) should make ciggs illegal (as they are pretty much the number one killer in many countries) and make cannabis legal instead! Imagine how much better the world would be!

I went into a local big music store and found ABSOLUTELY no Trance/Electronic/Progressive stuff. Not even Tiesto. Wow. Rap, rap, pop, rap, rock, rock, etc... My tastes are very European. Hybrid, Armin can Buuren, Tiesto, Daft Punk (kinda popular in the states, only because of Kayne West [their surprise Grammy performance was good though]), and some Celldweller. DJ's are really skipped over these days. Tis a pity.

I couldn't agree more! Daft Punk, Sander Van Doorn, Justice, Armin van Buuren, Tiësto, ATB, Above & Beyond, Deadmau5, Kaskade, Markus Schulz, Judge Jules, Infected Mushroom, etc (the list could go on and on!)... are all great examples of electronic music that I could easily see people dancing to and listening to! It pains me to see talentless individuals (ie: Paris Hilton, Kevin Federline. Yes, they both made albums and people actually bought them. Sad, no?) are capable of achieving fame, why aren't the world's best DJ's given more recognition in the States? It's strange because a lot of incredible House music originated in New York, Chicago and Detroit in the late 1970s early 80s after the Disco generation so I assumed that the genre would be embraced more openly!

I just realized

that it's already been a year

since the TPR Japan Tour

happened.

Sure, there's been the TPR Europe tour in between now and then.

But still.

Not a rant - more like a .

A 2-for-Thursday special:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-904ocalafakemoney,0,781197,print.story

8-year-old Ocala boy brings fake 20s to school

Authorities say an 8-year-old boy was handing out hundreds of dollars in fake $20 bills at an Ocala elementary school.

School officials reported the boy to police on Tuesday. The fake bills were discovered when a child tried to use one to pay for lunch. An administrator then tracked down several other students with fake bills. Those students all identified the boy.

The boy -- who was not identified -- was turned over to the Department of Children and Families after authorities learned his guardians had warrants for their arrest.

In all, the counterfeit money added up to 44 notes or $880. Police say they don't know who produced the fake currency.

Oops! I don't know which is sadder: The quality of guardians in this state or the fact that the kid was dumb enough to be passing fake money around like he was big pimpin.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/sep/03/purse-snatcher-loses-fake-breast-during-crime-st-l/

Cross-dressing purse-snatcher loses fake breast in Port St. Lucie

PORT ST. LUCIE — A cross-dressing robber snatched a 74-year-old woman's purse in St. Lucie West on Tuesday before a faux breast popped out of his tube top, according to a police report released Thursday.

The alleged female-impersonating robber then hopped into a four-door silver getaway car occupied by possibly two other men in drag and sped off, leaving the victim and the faux breast — a water-filled condom in a white gym sock — at the scene.

"We're processing the condom for latent prints," said Officer Robert Vega, police spokesman.

The victim was pushed to the ground and sustained minor injuries in the incident at the Sears on St. Lucie West Boulevard.

Police also recovered two hairs on the sock that might be chest hairs. Investigators are submitting them for DNA analysis.

The assailant wore a short jean skirt, tube top and white flip-flops, weighs 130 to 140 pounds and is of thin build. He sported shoulder-length hair with maroon hair attachments in a dreadlocks style.

I saw the "faux breast" the thief dropped; that's some incredibly bad "poor man's drag" he was trying to pull off!

suspect-thumb.jpg.8c1ea8aac5858b800e6dce03c63caef0.jpg

Hey Whitney!

sock-thumb.jpg.962897f04c361e4e235e8fc871f9b9da.jpg

A breast made out of a water-filled condom and a dirty sock. Then that thing was put into a tube top. A full mess